Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Re: The American \"Obesity Epidemic?\"

Not a new idea. Shemp's post reminded me of an episode of The Odd Couple called Fat Farm.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, when even parents don't pay attention to putting good meals together, it's less of a surprise that their kids don't. Role modeling counts for so much. Look at any chick's mom for verification.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not entirely sure what you mean by this. Are you referring to the old 'if you want to know what a woman will look like as she ages.. look at her mom'? Pfffttt...

My mom was a single working mom looonnng before it was the 'norm'. [I'm 57!]. She not only worked all day.. she came home and cooked us dinner, etc. Every day. She couldn't afford a lot of 'healthy' stuff... so we ate a lot of mac/cheese... bologna sandwiches for our lunches, etc. I don't *ever* recall her making us cheeseburgers and fries... or fried anything for that matter. Her's was a more European way of cooking anyway. Stews, etc.

Anyhooo... she's thin as can be. Always has been. But on my real father's side.. I come from TOTAL COWS!! And I'm talking 300 pounders + here! Both his sisters [my aunts] were just huge.. almost all of their lives.

MY sister and I have battled weight problems all of our lives. We just do not have our mother's metabolism and stucture. While I am not 300 lbs.. I'm still pretty hefty. Thank God it isn't affecting my health.. .*YET*!! And by that I mean... I can actually FEEL the poor circulation etc... if I sit too long. And to make matters worse, I'm a walking stroke candidate cuz I sit here and smoke to boot. Living alone as well means I don't cook for myself often enough as I should.. and my job plunks me in front of a computer every waking hour. Literally. I'm NOT in front of a pc long enough to sleep.

What's the point? The point is: If you think it isn't important to push yourself away from the computer and get out and LIVE life instead of reading about someone elses... you're sadly mistaken! The young man who mentioned 'discipline' about had it covered.

That's precisely what it takes to get on a healthier track. If you can avoid being so 'into' your body strictly for looks [body builders, stars, etc make me sick]... and do it for all the right reasons.. it can become a lifetime 'habit' you'll never regret. I only wish I had been able to know 'then'... what I know 'now'.

It's not too late, of course... but waking up with a major injection of discipline in your life... when you've spent most of it with none.. is a tough shot.. believe me.

The enemies are all still the same. Fast food, TV and now the Internet. All very alluring 'Sirens'... just waiting to turn you into a blob of fat laziness. Pretty much like me. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Just my $ .03 adjusted for inflation.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:27 PM

Role modeling might be the most deeply-embedding teaching we can do for our kids.

If you grow up in an environment where certain standards and behaviors are common - good ones or bad -- you will very likely have the same standards and behavior in your adult life. That may stop for a while as you go through the standard teenage and young adult rebellion, but by the time you have kids or are established in your long term adult behavior yourself, you'll probably be reflecting how you grew up.

That's why it's so important to teach kids by your own behavior, not in a "do as I say, not as I do" fashion. They're modeling themselves after you, and if you're a poor model, it will usually wind up showing in your kids.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I was trying to get across is that the claims were exaggerated. People who lose limbs are people who aren't trying to take care of themselves. Though I'd stand an argument that anyone that obese isn't taking care of themselves already.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you have any clue what you're talking about?
Old 08-13-2007, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What I was trying to get across is that the claims were exaggerated. People who lose limbs are people who aren't trying to take care of themselves. Though I'd stand an argument that anyone that obese isn't taking care of themselves already.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. WTF are you talking about?
Old 08-13-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. WTF are you talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]
My great aunt has diabetes, and up until recently she was one of the healthiest, most active people I know. She definitely "took care of herself". And now she's a self-proclaimed pirate (artificial leg). So yeah, amputees aren't all fat and lazy pigs. You have good genes, some people don't. Congratulations.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:14 AM

calm,

Thank you for one random anecdotal story. Clearly I am proven wrong because of your great aunt and her "healthiest" life evar.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
calm,

Thank you for one random anecdotal story. Clearly I am proven wrong because of your great aunt and her "healthiest" life evar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you are very full of yourself. Unfortunately that does not leave much room for things like manners, reason or even thoughts.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
calm,

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you are very full of yourself. Unfortunately that does not leave much room for things like manners, reason or even thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ironyaments.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont understand why we still see stories about body image issues. The problems of bulemea/anorexia PALE in comparison to the continent of fatties we've got going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know about that... bulimia and anorexia receive a lot of exposure in the media because they're manifestations of society's fixation on thinness and what not, but the incidence of eating disorders is about 1% in the general population and no more than 5% in most colleges. has the media made girls more weight-conscious than in the past? sure. but i think that, in terms of endangering the health of the general population, obesity is much more problematic and the need to address it is much more pressing.