Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Dealer Comments On Your Play -- What Do You Do?

[ QUOTE ]
Heres a question I have for ya... what's your play if a player makes this exact comment to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise to 20 in a 1/3 NL game with about 5 limpers, and some guy talked on and on to me about how I raised too much. I just said maybe you're right and then watched him spew his 5 racks+2 rebuys all over the table ovre the next few hours.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Heres a question I have for ya... what's your play if a player makes this exact comment to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wait till I take a big pot off him and make a comment back. what's worse someone commenting on your win or your loss?
Old 08-03-2007, 12:00 PM

I hate telling the floor about bad dealers, though it's the only way they will get better. One night at the Taj, there was just a string just god awful dealers. Finally, two competant dealers sat down and I made it a point at the end of the night to tell the floor people how I enjoyed those two dealers and wish there were more like them in the poker room.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:07 PM

1.)Grow a thicker skin.
2.)Cease tipping rest of dealer's shift.
3.)If you like the room/game and intend to play there again --Tell the floor in a polite, but firm, manner.
4.)If you're never coming back --Say nothing to the floor, but tell everyone you know/meet/will ever meet about your lousy experience there, that you'd never go back, and that they shouldn't even consider going near that dump.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:01 PM

Next time that situation comes up, where you want to make a sizeable raise, take a second, and say "Excuse me dealer, how much should I raise here". If he has a puzzled look on his face, just tell him that last time you told me I raised too much, so i just wanted to get your approval on my raises from now on.

Maybe he'll get the msg.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:06 AM

Sometimes it is difficult to be quick witted. But people who cross boundaries need to be immediately put in their place - Pavlov conditioning if you will. A simple go [censored] yourself, while rude, would have likely had a more positive effect on him than passive aggression, while still, a more clever response would have been even better
Old 08-05-2007, 04:29 AM

Default Post deleted by Ryan Beal

Old 08-05-2007, 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's with all the over-reactions here?

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Dealer is a def a little too chatty here (I'm from the STFU and deal school, makes it easier) but it can be addressed without any serious drama. No reason you can't say something to the dealer and maybe mention it to the floor later on. He can be encouraged to keep his commentary to himself easily enough.

If you're one of the people that think this such an offense that it warrants acting like an ass or putting some kind of lifetime tip ban into effect, then hey, whatever. Seems a little out of proportion. Also:

[ QUOTE ]
people who cross boundaries need to be immediately put in their place - Pavlov conditioning if you will. A simple go [censored] yourself, while rude, would have likely had a more positive effect

[/ QUOTE ]

No, and if you can't handle the problem any better than this, you might be better off going to the floor with it in the first place. You're certainly mistaken if you think every dealer thinks like a dog or is going to put up with comments like that very long, much less non-dealers in everyday life. A lot of crap comes with thte dealer job, but it only goes so far.

[ QUOTE ]
If someone doesn't want to tip that is their business; when they tell or encourage others not to tip they need to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also QFT. This would be is like going to a diner and telling other patrons not to tip a given waitress. You'd probably be shown the door.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A simple go [censored] yourself, while rude, would have likely had a more positive effect on him...

[/ QUOTE ]
That'd be grounds for expulsion from many poker rooms. Floor might or might not do it in this circumstance, but outside of SoCal you don't often get to fling the F-word at dealers and staff without repurcussions.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Next time that situation comes up, where you want to make a sizeable raise, take a second, and say "Excuse me dealer, how much should I raise here". If he has a puzzled look on his face...

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me speak out against this sort passive-aggressive silliness. Nobody likes this. Not players, not dealers, not anybody. It achieves results, but they are far from ideal. If you want to act like an emotional child, you should go... well... really you should stay in the poker room because you're in good company.