Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Tuff Fish\'s proposal cleared by CA Sec. of State for petition circ

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a multitabling grinder myself, it would actually benefit me (and lots of other serious pros) if these measures were enacted. We will always be able to find ways around them, and the less devoted and not-so-computer-savvy multitabling semi-pros will be the ones who will really take the hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true, and wholly unfair. i too am a multitabling gringder. I am however, not a computer expert. when it comes to playing online poker for a living, it wouldn't be close to right if it does come down to this and all of a sudden i need to be a winning poker player AND a computer technician.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind multi-tablers but do have a pet-peeve about software assisted ones. Be it HUDs, personal databases or leased ones, based on hand histories, I say ban the computer assistance. Those tools belong in play chip land as learning aids.

I know this is often an unpopular sentiment, but I'm old school. If you can't use it in a B&M, it has no place in an on-line game. Most players of any fish scale have no problem using our brains and bankrolls against other's brains and bankrolls but some how feel cheated playing against the software assisted so called sharks.

Yes I've heard all the arguments, including the "multi-tablers play sub-optimal poker so a good single table player is better off" one. Personally I think the whole industry built around all the software assistance is bad for on-line poker. If nothing else with the advances in software, computing power and the advent of leased databases if not halted at some point will lead to a potentially serious advantage and an ever increasing software arms race. I can imagine the development of a HUD that not just puts you on a hand based on what average players do in that position, but one based on what you’ve done in that same situation based on every hand you’ve ever played on-line. Not just the ones someone has data mined by playing against you.

Let people play as many tables as they want and can afford to play. Eliminate hand histories and the ability to save them from real money poker.

Just an unpopular PERSONAL opinion,

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

If you checkout the older archives, their were a few B&M players who used handwritten hand histories and handwritten databases of players/notes. Jim Brier could give you Pokertracker"esque" stats on his and his opponent's play.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you checkout the older archives, their were a few B&M players who used handwritten hand histories and handwritten databases of players/notes. Jim Brier could give you Pokertracker"esque" stats on his and his opponent's play.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to keep paper and pencil notes and paper to computer databases for on-line players go for it. It's the mass data mining of entire level 24/7 that causes me problems.

I really don't mind the databases collected from people playing at the table. Except that it's then possible for enough of them, I guess, to get together to form some form of level database. While this later is a bit of a stretch, it follows from the value of the information in effect "paid for" and more valuable if massive data mining is banned.

Like I said, it's an unpopular personal opinion. Given the economics of the rake generated by the sites by muti-tablers vs. single table players it will never come to pass.

D$D
Old 09-08-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to keep paper and pencil notes and paper to computer databases for on-line players go for it. It's the mass data mining of entire level 24/7 that causes me problems.

I really don't mind the databases collected from people playing at the table. Except that it's then possible for enough of them, I guess, to get together to form some form of level database. While this later is a bit of a stretch, it follows from the value of the information in effect "paid for" and more valuable if massive data mining is banned.

Like I said, it's an unpopular personal opinion. Given the economics of the rake generated by the sites by muti-tablers vs. single table players it will never come to pass.

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong about this, but I thought some sites banned the data mining of hands you weren't involved in. Pretty sure Stars doesn't allow mining. I know PokerTracker only shows the hands I've played against others at my table(s).

Of course, I've never tried to mine sites or buy databases so I may be wrong... I think a lot of people agree with your (revised) opinion, D$D.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:57 PM

Thats why sites need to allow you to change your handle any time you want. But, since sites dont really check for collusion it may not be desirable.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

nothing but his annoyance at having to wait too long to take his turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

and what better reason to write in the one table provision.

It is MY time that is wasting away while you play out your hand on other tables. Imagine trying to get folks sitting at a live table to cool their heels while you run over to two other tables to play out your hand.

Being on the internet doesn't make it any less rude.

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Tuff

PS: Keep up the good work though. We can all be winners.

[/ QUOTE ]

a. the sites allows for reasonable time to make decisons

b. from watching your videos, many multitablers are much faster at making decisons than you are, even if they are playing 6-8times as many tables

(especially postflop when you are trying to figure out if you have a straight or not, your board reading skills are quite slow and inaccurate)
Old 09-21-2007, 03:54 PM

Is there any recent update on this initiative?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any recent update on this initiative?

[/ QUOTE ]

Things are going quite slow, and I don't have the time to babysit the effort. I am waiting for somebody with time and resources to step up.

I sure wish I had a "do over". I have learned quite a bit about all this. Maybe next year.

Tuff