Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 06:20 AM

Default Re: What ever happened to good manners and Class in poker?

Notice the difference. The calm Englishman player realizes he has a responsibility WRT his supporters to tell them to calm down, and he does it.

So who was it that posted?
[ QUOTE ]
I blame the Euros...

[/ QUOTE ]

Amusing, considering that the only player reported to have taken positive action in this type of instance is from The UK.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:37 AM

Interesting thread... from this old lady's perspective. Wow.. where to start... lol

Don't you suppose this is the exact reason they sequestered Hellmuth's final table when he got his 11th?? I think I read the players were only allowed 1 guest/family member railing.

Many complained... but Hellmuth mentioned that he thought it was 'refreshing' and a much more friendly and relaxed atmosphere. I agree. When you're playing for those kind of stakes... drunken frat boy behavior is totally out of line. The whole situation is tense enough as it is.

To CincyLady: The main reason I 'resigned' myself from playing local 'home games' once I signed up... was that once I read through their online forums... I was so grossed out I was no longer interested. It was mostly young men who went waaaay out of their way to be as disgusting and gross as possible online... so WHY would I want to play with them 'live'? Really filthy language and gross avatars, etc... Uh.. no thanks. Unless they come up with a nice friendly game/tour somewhere.. I'll stick to playing onliine. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

For the most part.. you don't see the high stakes pros acting like this. Sure.. Matasow has his mouth.. and Hellmuth has his tantrums.. but that's their 'schtick' and their marketing reps think it's entertaining I guess. [it's not] But you'll ALSO notice that they limit the railbirds [if any] and they are not carrying on like a bunch of drunken goons. I suspect they'd be ejected ASAP because of TV.

Face it CincyLady... we could be talking about ANY televised sport here.

Sports + Alcoholic Sponsors = Drunks. Period.

Now as soon as Depends sponsors a decent tourney.. I'm all over it! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2007, 08:45 AM

A few of kalmer's friends were escourted out of the poker room while they were sweating the final table. They were warned if they kept shouting mid-hand they would be kicked out, and they were.

Obviously its no excuse, but again they were ridic drunk while railing.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Posses of current/ex/wannabe fratboys bug me in the first place. Add free beer, and as in the outside world it's a recipe for disaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the winner.

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct. End of story.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We're talking about a game that for decades was mostly populated by degens, criminals, hustlers, and confined to back room illegal status. Someone please, find me this moment in history when poker was a game of all class and gentlemen.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFTruthiness
Old 07-16-2007, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

fwiw I've played as high as nl2k before and I can confidently say that every pot you collude to win in is twice as sweet.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you admit you're a scumbag cheat like just about every other internet punk who cleaned up during the halcyon days of online poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty sick that my entree that night was worth more than your entire roll; lobster seasoned in the tears of microstakes fish is my favorite.

[ QUOTE ]
Naturally since I am so completely superior to the new generation of attention starved adolescent wankers and wannabees who typically can't find it within themselves to be gracious toward someone busted out on a bad beat, I felt compelled to say a few things that have been on my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

it has to be aspergers, right? right? only someone with aspergers could be convinced that being an antisocial retard is better than having a sick amount of money before you turn 20.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically anyone who doesn't avail themselves of any tactic or ploy to divest someone of every last cent they have is a loser and a sucker, is that about right?

To be honest--work with me here--I'm not sure who I'm more disgusted by .. you degenerate [censored] with no ethics or pangs of conscience about shamelessly cheating and exploiting your way to every immediate gratification your cold little heart desires...

or the plebs like me who were raised to believe it's inherently wrong to take advantage of people that way.

You know I've never had much in my life and I've never been very happy about it. I'm not sure why, it's probably the Christian in me or maybe it's just the neurotic, but I've tried not to let this turn me into a total scumbag misanthrope ungoverned by any sort of social restraint or propriety. I've been disoriented plenty of times by my moral compass, but I'd like to think I've never gone so far out of my way I could never find it back.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't resentful that people like you who've undoubtedly been dealt much better hands as it were and likely started out pretty far ahead, still nonetheless found themselves looking for any shortcut to get where they wanted to go .. no matter how unscrupulous or underhanded.

It's pretty disgusting but someone like you must revel in that disgust and even find it amusing.

To each his own I guess.

I'd say good luck but I don't guess you need it.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:20 AM

I don't understand why this is such a big deal.

Online some people call you wanker or jew after sucking out and live it's not even allowed to be happy to win a pot? If you get emotional about losing a single hand you shouldn't play poker imo, because losing is unfortunately standard in tournament poker.

I also agree with someone who said this thread wouldn't exist if the woman were ugly.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We're talking about a game that is mostly populated by degens, criminals, hustlers.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 07-16-2007, 12:01 PM

On an unrelated note, I often do the Ickey Shuffle when I bowl a turkey in my bowling league.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker never had good manners and class. It's had individuals with good manners and class. But, the game as a whole has been heavily populated by rude people for a long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. This ain't the British Open.