Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Biggest Golf Pet Peeve

[ QUOTE ]
One of my biggest pet peeve's is when someone picks up my ball. Even if they don't take it or hit it thinking it is theirs just the fact that they pick it up or touch it at all just sets me off and ruins me for a couple holes.

Example: 2 parallel fairways. I hit off to the side. On the adjecent fairway someone hits to the same place. While looking for their ball they find mine, pick it up to see if it is theirs, and then put it back down.

Just bend the frick down and look to see if it is your crappy Noodle

[/ QUOTE ]

THIS IS A GREAT ONE!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One of my biggest pet peeve's is when someone picks up my ball. Even if they don't take it or hit it thinking it is theirs just the fact that they pick it up or touch it at all just sets me off and ruins me for a couple holes.

Example: 2 parallel fairways. I hit off to the side. On the adjecent fairway someone hits to the same place. While looking for their ball they find mine, pick it up to see if it is theirs, and then put it back down.

Just bend the frick down and look to see if it is your crappy Noodle

[/ QUOTE ]

THIS IS A GREAT ONE!

[/ QUOTE ]

Even better is when they pocket the ball, then deny they took it even though it's impossible it was anybody else.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:46 PM

drcool, I think your first example is a stupid one. If there are two balls next to each other sometimes you really do have to pick it up to tell which is which. There are plenty of reasons for this that you might not be able to tell from a distance (grass clippings or dirt on the ball, lie blocking the view of any markings, etc.). If no one has any reason to suspect you're playing some sort of really important match then picking up a ball to check its identity is totally standard in some situations. Obviously they should make their best effort to put it back exactly as it was.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
drcool, I think your first example is a stupid one. If there are two balls next to each other sometimes you really do have to pick it up to tell which is which. There are plenty of reasons for this that you might not be able to tell from a distance (grass clippings or dirt on the ball, lie blocking the view of any markings, etc.). If no one has any reason to suspect you're playing some sort of really important match then picking up a ball to check its identity is totally standard in some situations. Obviously they should make their best effort to put it back exactly as it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan,

For the reasons you stated I clearly mark my ball with red ink on two sides.

I do also understand the rules allow for picking up a ball to check for identification, so your point is valid. It just feels dirty when someone else handles your ball, knowwhatimean?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan,

For the reasons you stated I clearly mark my ball with red ink on two sides.

I do also understand the rules allow for picking up a ball to check for identification, so your point is valid. It just feels dirty when someone else handles your ball, knowwhatimean?

[/ QUOTE ]
I absolutely know what you mean and obviously I'd prefer if no one touched my ball, but sometimes it's just unavoidable. Especially if the balls are in the rough, which is probably common when you don't know which is which, it can be very hard to see any markings.

Also, for time purposes it can often be easier to just pick up the balls and check rather than waiting for the people on another hole to reach you, which may take several minutes.

So yea, bottom line is that it's obviously not an ideal scenario, but it's unavoidable sometimes and therefore I don't think there's really any reason to get annoyed by it.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
therefore I don't think there's really any reason to get annoyed by it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[Nit]
Guess thats why its HIS pet peeve and not yours, different things annoy different people

[/Nit]
Old 07-19-2007, 02:31 AM

People that take this game far, far to seriously in a non-competitive setting. If there is no money on the line or you arent in a tournament, relax, realize you are out golfing when most people are doing other [censored] they probably dont wanna do.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Golfers don't use golf as a verb. I guarantee that usage of golf as a verb is inversely proportionate to ones handicap/skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanna back this up?
I was internationally involved in tournaments as a junior...and including the 10yrs SINCE, every "golfer" I've known uses "golf" as a verb...I'm still a + cap on most courses, what are your credentials?
Old 07-19-2007, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's one thing if you look as hard as you can WITHOUT touching a ball and THEN pick it up (and are very careful to put it back the way it was if it's not yours...well, even if it is yours, haha)...and entirely another thing for donks to default to picking it up to look if it's theirs (especially if they're playing a ball totally different from yours...even worse when they have NO idea what ball they're playing...ugh, there's a pet peeve...) and then proceed to either take it, or have no regard for taking care to replace it the way it was.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Golfers don't use golf as a verb. I guarantee that usage of golf as a verb is inversely proportionate to ones handicap/skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanna back this up?
I was internationally involved in tournaments as a junior...and including the 10yrs SINCE, every "golfer" I've known uses "golf" as a verb...I'm still a + cap on most courses, what are your credentials?

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you want from me, a study showing statistical significance? I'm close to scratch, played a lot of places around the US, and I find that weekend hackers and worse tend to use golf as a verb more, and better players (including interviews I see with pros) tend to "play golf." I mean, in a TV interview when someone asks "How did you do?" Do they say "I golfed well today" or "I played well today"?

It wouldn't surprise me if you played internationally to see different customs.