Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Knife VS Bat, who wins?

[ QUOTE ]
So you're saying that your strategy would just be to close the distance, block the bat swing with an arm, and try to stabby stabby?

Would the force of a bat connecting with your arm not slow you down at ALL?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, no... I mean it's going to hurt, but like, so what? I'm not some huge tough guy, I'm 5'10" about 155-160lbs with like 2 years of Muay Thai experience, and we fought with weapons infrequently. The difference between the bat hitting your arm at a 90 degree angle and a 45 degree angle is the difference between breaking your arm (which would slow you down) and basically just getting a bruise, which is going to hurt a lot but is not going to put you into shock or stop you from advancing or anything.

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, why is the bat useless at close range? I can still jam it against your neck, or jab the bat handle into your midsection, etc.

Probably a good chance both people end up dead. Unless you can slice a carotid or femoral artery on your first couple of stabby stabby, I'm not going to bleed to death before I can f you up serious also.

[/ QUOTE ]

At close range you're probably better off just fighting with your hands honestly. The whole advantage of a bat is the enormous power you can generate with a big, deliberate swing, otherwise it's not much better than your fists and significantly less maneuverable. And you don't have to necessarily kill someone with a knife either; you can cut up under the armpits, the top of the elbow joint, etc and seriously incapacitate someone from getting any sort of force out of their arms/swinging a bat.

It's not like a bat's a sucky weapon, and it's way preferable in like a real-life situation (which is not going to be a fight to the death obv) but in a pre-determined fight to the death it's just not even close unless you get insanely lucky and manage to incapacitate the knife wielder in the one chance you'll have before he's in range and doing exponentially more damage per strike than you are.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:31 PM

if 2 people who are fighting are both equally proficient in using their respective weapons I do not see how will there will not be a good chance of a guy with the bat slowing down the guy with the knife.

I’m saying it will be a close fight; people like mbillie1 argue that it wont be.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:34 PM

sightless,

I'm not saying the bat guy will just roll over and die... but the range advantage of the bat is at most what, 2-2.5 feet? That's like 1-2 full steps, I mean even if you stun someone how long are you going to keep them from advancing 1-2 steps? And at that point the damage per strike is shifted massively in favor of the knife. For the bat to do damage it has to be fairly slow (wind up / swing), deliberate, it has to land squarely, etc whereas even a child, untrained person, a weakling, etc could do fatal damage with a knife. An equally skilled opponent is going to wreck the bat wielder.

Edit: also a bat's effective range is like, arms reach to 2.5' greater than arms reach, whereas a knife's effective range is arm's reach and closer; once the knife person gets past the "happy zone" or whatever the bat is going to do very little damage per strike where the knife could kill with any accurate stroke or do fatal/seriously incapacitating damage (cutting tendons/ligaments, puncturing vital organs, etc) with minimal accuracy and force.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if 2 people who are fighting are both equally proficient in using their respective weapons I do not see how will there will not be a good chance of a guy with the bat slowing down the guy with the knife.

I’m saying it will be a close fight; people like mbillie1 argue that it wont be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree that you would slow the guy down, especially IF you made that perfect strike. But there are things make that less relevant than I think you credit:

1. It would be much harder to get that perfect strike in than might seem. If your enemy is a little closer in when he lands, the force he absorbs will be significantly lessened. To get the maximum power out of the bat, you really need to time it just perfectly. I think you'd miss making the perfect strike quite often.

2. Even if you slow down the knife guy significantly with the strike, you will be slowed down too. Your body will almost certainly be out of alignment and in recovery mode to get its balance. This means that even if you win, you don't necessarily keep initiative. You both lose initiative and are now both trying to recover your balance.

3. Knife guy's weapon at close range is so dangerous and so far superior to your bat that he needs far less initiative less than you do to dominate. And when he gets started, even with a crippled arm, you are deeply screwed. Even just a clumsy rage of weak and sloppy slashes can incapacitate you. Or just one lucky stab.

4. During the close, while your bat swing may have landed, his knife blow might have too. He might, say during the process of blocking, have ridden his blade up along your forearm or wrist and ruined your veins, or sliced your bicep half off your arm, or stuck the blade into your gut. Now, again, there's another reason that it's two people dealing with pain, shock, and the loss of initiative instead of just one.

And all that could happen even if you land your strike!

All in all, the bat is much less forgiving of everything not going perfectly. You can be pretty miserable and unlucky with the knife and still do very well.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:49 PM

Working under the assumption these are both random people with no particular proficiency or lack therof towards fighting. I would go with bat, since I don't think the average person could use a knife very efficiently. If you have someone who is trained with a knife it is obviously more deadly than a bat.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Working under the assumption these are both random people with no particular proficiency or lack therof towards fighting. I would go with bat, since I don't think the average person could use a knife very efficiently. If you have someone who is trained with a knife it is obviously more deadly than a bat.

[/ QUOTE ]

They key is that you don't need to use a knife efficiently, but you DO have to use the bat just right, and even then, it might not be enough.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but equal size/skill/etc is assumed in the argument. Also, it's very difficult for a weak/inexperience/untrained person to actually kill someone with a bat (it requires a lot of strength and coordination to do any real damage) whereas even an 8 or 9 year old could do fatal damage with a knife.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:56 PM

This will solve it I think.

Me and Blarg seem to be arguing for the superiority of the knife, so we will fight any other two OOTers to the death, us two with our knives and you two with your bats. Obviously this will be two separate fights, no teamwork or anything (as that adds a dynamic as yet undiscussed). We'll obviously have to go to some lawless third world country to make this happen. Wagering is encouraged; maybe we can get that guy from HSNL who wanted to pay someone to cut off and eat his own finger involved. I'm 5'10" 155-160lbs with 2 years of martial arts training. Blarg is eighty feet tall and shoots lightning out of his eyes, so he might be a more difficult opponent, but to compensate we'll give him a smaller knife (a swiss army knife maybe).
Old 07-09-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but equal size/skill/etc is assumed in the argument. Also, it's very difficult for a weak/inexperience/untrained person to actually kill someone with a bat (it requires a lot of strength and coordination to do any real damage) whereas even an 8 or 9 year old could do fatal damage with a knife.

[/ QUOTE ]
Equal size/skill means they can both be 6"6" 300 black belts or 4"0 100 with no experience. In a situation where the equal skill includes skills that would allow one to wield a knife efficiently it changes thing because even against a skilled batsmen a knife is more lethal. I also agree with mia that with two average people they wouldn't be able to continue fighting with a broken forearm or stuff like that.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's very difficult for a weak/inexperience/untrained person to actually kill someone with a bat

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats so hard about pounding on someone who is down for a couple of minutes