Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: People who buy bottled water are fish at life.

[ QUOTE ]
bottled water simply tastes much better, depending on where you are. some places have very good tasting tap water, and i can imagine people from those places not being able to understand the sale of bottled water, but in some places the tap water is really disgusting.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL. Esp. if youre from a place where they made a movie about how bad the water is, right Daryn? (We're from Woburn, MA. ) I only drink bottled water obv. Clear(pun intended) difference in taste.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:40 PM

I think I get what you guys are saying about taste. I get Chicago water which is very good. I was under the impression that all big American cities had water that was similarly good. If you don't "get used to it" as I guessed in the OP, that's cool.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't "get used to it" as I guessed in the OP, that's cool.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, if people in my area can "get used to" treated Des Moines sewer water naturally filtered through farm fertilizer -- more power to them. I'll take my Dasani, thank you very much.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, the mod of the politics forum calling ANYONE a fish at life...is well...hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, but I don't like to rip on iron cuz he's such a nice guy that he doesn't even allow check-raising in his home game cuz he thinks it's rude.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard he makes everyone line up to shake hands afterwards like at little league baseball games.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not only could I see this, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a sno-cone machine in his kitchen.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:13 PM

I don't taste a huge difference between bottled water and tap water, so I don't drink bottled water for taste reasons. I'm not too worried about drinking water killing me, so I don't drink bottled water for health reasons.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was under the impression that all big American cities had water that was similarly good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iron - I drink filtered water usually and occasionally bottled water.
I was trying to learn a little more about your argument that it's somehow all the same. But this is just silly. Obviously the water is different from one city to the next.
Maybe I just understand this because I used to travel a lot and could quickly tell the difference from one city to another.
but different cities have different ways of doing things, different pipes, etc.

Some water in some cities is really garbage.
I have a really hard time giving a damn what various studies say that it's supposedly just fine.
If it tastes like crap...and especially if it LOOKS like crap...then I really don't care if the city claims it meets their thrilling guidelines.
I really don't have a lot of trust in the government and their ability to study such stuff anyway.

At some cheaper restaurants/diners I've been here in Memphis I can tell that the glass of water they gave me came from the tap. Usually I'm not going to drink much of it. It tastes like crap.

Are they probably using the same water for their lemonade or soda? Sure, I would guess they do.
But at least it doesn't taste as bad because it's covered up by the sugar or whatever.

If it can be so unsafe to drink tap-water in other countries I don't understand why the tap-water in all U.S. cities can't be at least a little bit sub-par.
I also assume that the point at which they tell you to boil your water things have to have gotten pretty bad.

Isn't there some in-between point where things aren't as good as they could be but they feel it's not bad enough to make everyone boil their water.
It obviously can't be as simple as good or bad. There are various degrees in there.

(related side-note: Was doing great most of my trip in Peru with the bottled or boiled water, etc. Was being really careful and had ZERO problems. Everyone was amazed because this stuff can really be an issue for Americans traveling to South America.
Then I had some water from a pitcher at a place we were staying and didn't think about it. Must not have been botttled/boiled. Damn, I had the runs for about 10 days).

Also - completely agree with the poster who mentioned the difference in making coffee with filtered water vs. water straight from the tap.
A few times I forgot to refill my Britta pitcher so I just made the coffee straight from the tap.
Whoa, big difference obviously.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:16 PM

try drinking the tap water where i live bro.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:16 PM

Sometimes you can even see a little oil slick on top when it's straight from the tap.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:18 PM

This observation was trite when iron was like 12.

Both bottled water and tap have their place.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I heard he makes everyone line up to shake hands afterwards like at little league baseball games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure we had to do this in my little-league.
Except it wasn't "shaking hands".
It was just the obligatory quick hand-slap as you went through the line while saying "good game, good game, good game, good game"