Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Human Evolution

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know who Gibbon is and I'm not trying to embarrass you. I'm saying that the historical record is what is generally accepted, which is not based on religious beliefs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what this subthread is about.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The historical record

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one? We could save a lot of time if you guys would specify a little more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's nearly impossible to get a straight answer from Christians on when the Fall supposedly happened...so it's hard to nail down the exact deviations from science's history of mankind. But my question doesn't need specific dates to be understood.

Moses(?) is purported to have written Genesis via divine inspiration in ~1200BC(?), right? And archeology has established an agriculture-based Sumerian civilization at least 9500BC, right? So the Fall must have happened before 10000BC at least.

So now, simple question, why did Moses need divine inspiration to "remember" the circumstances of mankind's beginnings? How could such extreme, unique circumstances have possibly been forgotten so quickly? Especially since Adam lived nearly a millennium; and his children roughly the same.

If Adam and his children were beings of intelligence analogous to modern man, wouldn't they recognize the profound importance of teaching everyone the truth of reality: there is one triune God who began the world as a Paradise now lost? Wouldn't every new generation be intimately acquainted with this theology? Of course.

But instead, archeology reveals a Sumerian civilization, an Egyptian civilization, an Indus civilization, etc., all with religions NOTHING LIKE monotheism centering on a triune God and mythologies NOTHING LIKE the Fall. Why??
Old 07-06-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But instead, archeology reveals a Sumerian civilization, an Egyptian civilization, an Indus civilization, etc., all with religions NOTHING LIKE monotheism centering on a triune God and mythologies NOTHING LIKE the Fall. Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is odd because one of the objections to the Bible as the word of God is that Moses was just repeating common myth. You might also consider the flood and Babylon. I think the subject will tend to get very complicated so I recommend a new thread.

I have a similar question, which may also require a new thread. Modern man is supposed to be 250Ky old right? So how come there's no writing before 3500-5000 B.C.? What took him so long?
Old 07-06-2007, 12:30 AM

Depends on what they wrote on. Most paper isn't very durable, especially when durability isn't one of it's requirements. Animal skins are more resiliant as are clay tablets but maybe everyone didn't know that back in the day.

Also, a society needs to be pretty advanced before there is enough time in the day to figure writing out. Hunter/gatherers don't really have the resources to have lots of their members sitting around thinking [censored] up.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

But instead, archeology reveals a Sumerian civilization, an Egyptian civilization, an Indus civilization, etc., all with religions NOTHING LIKE monotheism centering on a triune God and mythologies NOTHING LIKE the Fall. Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is odd because one of the objections to the Bible as the word of God is that Moses was just repeating common myth. You might also consider the flood and Babylon. I think the subject will tend to get very complicated so I recommend a new thread.

I have a similar question, which may also require a new thread. Modern man is supposed to be 250Ky old right? So how come there's no writing before 3500-5000 B.C.? What took him so long?

[/ QUOTE ]

And rap music.. where was that?
oh, never mind. our natives seem to have been into it all along.

luckyme
Old 07-06-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the subject will tend to get very complicated so I recommend a new thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was really just curious if there is a standard response that I hadn't heard before.

It's just weird that the image of Adam "walking with God" doesn't resonate more strongly with Christians. I mean, I've never heard a young-earth creationist sadly pondering why the footprints of divinity faded so quickly. Personally, if I believed that walking with God is the consummation of human existence, I would take pause at why Adam's heavenly strolls were less memorable than, say, Egyptian myths about Osiris, which at least a few people still knew about in 2000BC.

[ QUOTE ]
Modern man is supposed to be 250Ky old right? So how come there's no writing before 3500-5000 B.C.? What took him so long?

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken language had to evolve first...