Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Find me a New Watch BBV

Why do you guys want these watches?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Nobody will ask to see your Rolex. Every watch connoisseur will ask to see your Panerai or Vacheron.

[/ QUOTE ]

People are not buying these watches to impress watch connoisseurs, but are buying them to impress women who will sleep with you if they think you have money. A Rolex will suffice.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL at the idea that a Rolex Submariner is anything close to resembling baller.

If you want a baller watch look at Vacheron Constantine, Panerai, Piguet, Patek Phillipe or even Breitling. The one I really like is posted above, the Hublot Big Bang. It's actually on my list of watches to purchase but at the pricetag of 15k it won't be anytime too soon.

I don't understand how people still overvalue garbage watches like Rolex and Movado when they are clearly second-class timepieces that have a recognized name. The quality and attractiveness of their watches is so sub-standard and there are so many better timepieces.

Nobody will ask to see your Rolex. Every watch connoisseur will ask to see your Panerai or Vacheron.

[/ QUOTE ]

I, as a watch obsessive, pretty much agree with you, except for the following:

(1) Breitling is no different than Rolex. They are both overhyped and in the same price range, but to each his own.

(2) Panerai are the most overhyped watches right now. They are shockingly bulky and unwearable (and expensive), but to each his own.

(3) I would have phrased my opinions with a little more wiggle-room because hey... to each his own.

(4) You forgot to mention the awesomest... Audemars Piguet

(5) I would have learned how to spell Patek Philippe before spouting off in public.

(6) If you buy a watch because you hope some watch connoisseur will notice it and want to see it, you are officially a douche.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's exactly why it's the one i have. duh.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you want a baller watch look at Vacheron Constantine, Panerai, Piguet, Patek Phillipe or even Breitling. The one I really like is posted above, the Hublot Big Bang. It's actually on my list of watches to purchase but at the pricetag of 15k it won't be anytime too soon.

I don't understand how people still overvalue garbage watches like Rolex and Movado when they are clearly second-class timepieces that have a recognized name. The quality and attractiveness of their watches is so sub-standard and there are so many better timepieces.

[/ QUOTE ]

I, as a watch obsessive, pretty much agree with you, except for the following:

(1) Breitling is no different than Rolex. They are both overhyped and in the same price range, but to each his own.

(2) Panerai are the most overhyped watches right now. They are shockingly bulky and unwearable (and expensive), but to each his own.

(3) I would have phrased my opinions with a little more wiggle-room because hey... to each his own.

(4) You forgot to mention the awesomest... Audemars Piguet

(5) I would have learned how to spell Patek Philippe before spouting off in public.

(6) If you buy a watch because you hope some watch connoisseur will notice it and want to see it, you are officially a douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Since you want to critique my spelling I guess I should point out that 'awesomeest' isn't a word but how about we just choose not argue over stupid crap like spelling and grammar and keep the arguing on-topic.

2. Panerai's (and other watches over 44mm in case size) aren't made for scrawny people. Do you feel the same about the Hublot, which is also a big bulky watch?

3. At least I know about Patek Philippe which is more than can be said for the people going gaga over a crappy Submariner.

4. I think it's much worse to buy a watch (or anything for that matter) just to get laid... my watch is the last reason I want some bitch hanging all over me... but hey... to each his own.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... I think it's much worse to buy a watch (or anything for that matter) just to get laid... my watch is the last reason I want some bitch hanging all over me...

[/ QUOTE ]
someone who licks you for your watch can't be trusted. ick. oh, ick.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:46 AM

I don't understand all the hatred against rolex watches here. I mean I like IWC watches too, and patek, but I would prefer a rolex (mostly for value reasons/ not really baller I admit).
I have thin wrists though, so a panerai is a no-go, and besides where I live everyone runs around with a panerai (mostly fake ones obv), they remind me of those old rap videos where these guys were running around with clocks around their neck. But to each his own ofcourse.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:53 PM

"Nobody will ask to see your Rolex. Every watch connoisseur will ask to see your Panerai or Vacheron. "

I have a Green Sub, SS Daytona and a Panerai (amongst others).. The Daytona gets as much if not more attention than my Panerai.

To Rolex's credit, at least their watches have in house movements. Panerai is just starting to get into this realm.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have a Green Sub, SS Daytona and a Panerai (amongst others).. The Daytona gets as much if not more attention than my Panerai.

To Rolex's credit, at least their watches have in house movements. Panerai is just starting to get into this realm.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Daytona is a far throw from a Sub. The only Sub worth having imho is the 50th anniversary with the colored bezel with pearl inlay. Any other Sub is just a common watch that's overvalued because of a brand name.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The Daytona is a far throw from a Sub. The only Sub worth having imho is the 50th anniversary with the colored bezel with pearl inlay. Any other Sub is just a common watch that's overvalued because of a brand name.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd argue that Panerai's are just as overvalued because of their brand name. They're still not that common, but compared to 2-3 years ago, they're becoming very mainstream.