Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 10:21 AM

Default Re: what to drink to seem sophisticated

[ QUOTE ]
Whenever I am at a nice restuarante, I start off with either a Dry Martini, a Gin with a splash of Tonic, or a Manhattan with Knob Creek. You should never be drinking a Rum/Coke, Whiskey/Coke, etc. unless it is a cheaper place using house liqour. I feel like scotch is a much better after dinner drink. As for wine, if it a nice restuarante, the waiter should be able to help, but if not, just know you basic food and wine pairings. I personally like Cabernet with evreyone getting steak or really rich dishes and Merlot if I am getting a steak, but others have slightly less rich meat dishes. But more often than not I get a Pinot Noir, because it pairs well with anything that is not incredibly light or incredibly heavy. IMO probably the best wine to fit with almost any combination of meals. I almost never drink white, but if I do, a very dry Chardonnay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget to flare out your pinkie!
Old 06-14-2007, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

A james bond martini should not be considered a mixed drink.

The amount of vermouth is so small you could not pick it up with a chemistry set [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the original James Bond martini had a decent amount of vermouth (or the equivalent) in it.

"Hi, I'd like some cold gin (or vodka) in a cocktail glass please."

Just terrible. Some bars' default martini is one without any vermouth at all.

I don't know how this fad of no, or really small amounts of, vermouth in martinis came about. Thoughts Mr. Wookie? Was it Churchill?
Old 06-14-2007, 10:27 AM

For a long time, I mostly ordered either beer, gin & tonics, or vodka tonics at the bar.

Jack & coke, etc always tasted too sweet to me.

However, I was recently introduced to a much better mixer - Ginger Ale.

Try a Jack & Ginger Ale or even Gin & ginger ale.... it's really good and not -too- sweet.

Unfortunately, it does sound pretty gay to order.

If you want to stay with masculine-sounding, stick with a gin martini, gin & tonic, vodka & tonic, vodka martini, or a straight liquor like whiskey/bourbon (swede's recommendations of maker's and knob creek are both good)
Old 06-14-2007, 10:28 AM

SonOfStalin is spot on when he says no straws.

Ill happilly drink any 'girlie' drink, but first think i do is remove the straw and if it came with an umbrella id do the same and leave it at the bar (so far, never had an umbrella drink).

Also, pieces of fruit around the rim should be imediately eaten/removed/dropped into the drink.

Other than that, its all good.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:41 AM

The whole Beam/JD/Rum & coke thing is kind of old school, actually. See, older alkies get to the bar before noon and just start out drinking straight coca-cola. Sometime after lunch they would start mixing in the booze. As the day wears on, the drinks get stronger and stronger until, around dinnertime, they're drinking straight booze. I have seen people drink their entire weekends away like this, every weekend.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SonOfStalin is spot on when he says no straws.

Ill happilly drink any 'girlie' drink, but first think i do is remove the straw and if it came with an umbrella id do the same and leave it at the bar (so far, never had an umbrella drink).

Also, pieces of fruit around the rim should be imediately eaten/removed/dropped into the drink.

Other than that, its all good.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right - thanks - forgot to add that the lime goes into the glass. You project a great image, assuming you are well dressed - classy, sophisticated, tough all at the same time. Try it boys if you haven't already.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:52 AM

Natural Light.

WHILE SITTING ON MY GULFSTREAM.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:02 AM

Can FFK or fluff show up in this thread and tell us about all the times they were going to go home with a guy but once he ordered beer they realized he wasn't classy enough to be seen with?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gin and Tonic is a good choice... if you are a retired grand-mother living in Florida.

Scotch... single malts neat; Laphroaig, Old Pulteney, Speyside, something interesting, pretend you know your [censored] even if you don't, don't order Macallan or JW. Or if you are a noob go for blends on the rocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a stupid post. have you ever even BEEN to a bar?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:13 AM

Few thoughts:
- I second bourbon. It shows that you know what you're ordering, and probably aren't a poser. I don't know about anyone else, but if I see a guy ordering a scotch at a crowded bar, I immediately think poser. Nice restaurant, it's a little less likely, but chances are still high. If you order it on the rocks, definitely poser. Bourbon you can toss some ice into if you'd like. My go to drink is actually Jim Beam. If I'm feeling a little richer, I'll go with knob creek. If you want to look like an alcoholic, order something like a Mac and water.
- Wine always looks good, and if you aren't the wine type, order a pinot noir.
- Beer, order an IPA or an amber. Guiness IS pretty kick ass, but it's also too common to make you look cool
- Those are all if you REALLY care. Just drink what you want to drink. I dig Mai Tais, and don't mind ordering them at times. If you don't want to drink, don't. If you're with a girl who cares, dump the bitch. And as for bartenders, IMHO (which is rather extensive), bartenders are the one group of service industry folks whose self-importance and "coolness" is the MOST disproportional to reality. Don't give a [censored] about what a bar tender thinks. But tip them well. And if it's a she, and she's hot, the answer is no, you're not getting into her pants.