Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 02:09 AM

Default Re: how much money does the average 20-21 year old have?

[ QUOTE ]
I call PSU alumni and ask them for money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it you're in "development" (i.e. you're a shark). Is that a fairly easy job? I have a friend who does it here at Purdue and loves it, but I'm not sure if it's like that everywhere else.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:46 AM

I want 20k by 20. I have 10 months left.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's doable if you don't spend money. I turn 20 in August...between work and poker, I've made about $15K since Christmas, and my job didn't even pay that well. Just don't spend money on anything but the necessities: food, beer, women, etc.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it you're in "development" (i.e. you're a shark). Is that a fairly easy job? I have a friend who does it here at Purdue and loves it, but I'm not sure if it's like that everywhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone I have talked to at Northwestern says it absolutely sucks, but pays better than most on-campus jobs.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's doable if you roll your backers some more, win tournaments with their money, and then only give SOME of them 1/2 the original stake back.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's doable if you don't spend money. I turn 20 in August...between work and poker, I've made about $15K since Christmas, and my job didn't even pay that well. Just don't spend money on anything but the necessities: food, beer, women, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is extremely key. i know some decent micro-small stakes players who can never get much going online because they spend way too much.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I work for the Office of Annual Giving. There are two departments: one does fund raising by phone and the other by mail. I work for the former.

It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. It takes a few shifts to get the hang of things. But once you do, it's all good. We call various groups of alumni and graduates and ask them for money. Sometimes, the call is for a very specific allocation (scholarship funds) and others it's more open-ended.

The job pays well for an on-campus job. Since the minimum wage hike, we start at $7.25/hour and that rate goes up based on longevity and attendance rates among other things to a maximum of $9.25/hr. I'm up to around $8/hour now. However, the hours are limited. I normally work about 13 hours/week (four shifts), but with bonus performance hours/attendance bonuses, I get paid for about 20 hours per week.

The work schedule is flexible, but you have to work a minimum of three shifts per week (six are available for the summer). You get three personal days to use as you see fit. You get bonus hours for working extra shifts (attendance bonuses). You also get extra pay for receiving credit card orders and donation upgrades (performance bonuses).

The management is very personable and flexible when dealing with employees. In terms of on-campus jobs, it's the best one that's easily available. It's really improved my communication and socialization skills. My patience and tolerance for obnoxious [censored] increased as well.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:00 AM

PSU sure raises a [censored] of money.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:19 PM

"When I told my parents two years ago that I wanted to take poker seriously they said it was ok as long as I routinely gave them money that they'd invest for me. I strongly recommend this to anyone. It has allowed me to play with an extremely large bankroll, not tilt or risk too much and makes it near impossible to go broke. "

I do this to an extent as well. My parents see every check I get, so its more like "real money".
Old 07-07-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I do this to an extent as well. My parents see every check I get, so its more like "real money".

[/ QUOTE ]

And of course I take a little "rakeback" for myself before depositing it -- which is why I don't have a problem with his pokering ldo [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]