Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Knocked Up (the movie)

yeah me too
Old 06-05-2007, 07:59 PM

This looks too much like 40 Year Old Virgin (which I did think was somewhat funny), but despite all the claims in this thread that it's good, I doubt I'll see this until I can get it on DVD, and even then, doubtful. These kinds of comedies seem to be funny to the majority of the population, and I might get some good laughs out of them but generally I just don't like watching them. I guess the characters annoy me too much.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:27 PM

The "Thank god she's pregnant!" motif, especially when it's supposed to be a young guy saying it, really loses me, and it gets extremely tiresome virtually never seeing any alternative take on that situation in the media. That's why I'll probably wait till this one hits DVD, and still maybe not see it.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:06 PM

Watched it, loved it

strangely "you look like Babe Ruth's gay brother, GAYBE Ruth" got the loudest laugh from me, but very very funny overall
Old 06-05-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The "Thank god she's pregnant!" motif, especially when it's supposed to be a young guy saying it, really loses me, and it gets extremely tiresome virtually never seeing any alternative take on that situation in the media. That's why I'll probably wait till this one hits DVD, and still maybe not see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're avoiding the movie based on your assumptions about the plot, despite the fact that it's getting universally fantastic reviews?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought this movie was great. I usually don't say this, but it's definitely worth paying $11 to go see in the theater.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the movie theater we go to they have a MAC-type machine outside where people can buy tickets with a credit card and it spits them out to save time waiting in line. For the last two years we've bought the senior citizen tickets for $6.50 each and the ushers have never noticed (or didn't care) when they rip them in half inside.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're avoiding the movie based on your assumptions about the plot, despite the fact that it's getting universally fantastic reviews?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you think that? No.

I think this was the thread on this movie where I posted that I started hearing less than universally positive reviews. The negative ones I started hearing were criticizing the movie along the lines I had originally wondered about, and now that I've heard both types of take on the movie, I'm at best indifferent about it.

But for about a dollar, I can get it from Netflix, and that price point seems reasonable.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:06 PM

Of the 147 reviews on rotten tomatoes, 11 of them are negative. 5 of the 11 negative reviews are from annoying women, 3 are saying it's too raunchy, two say it's too long, and one calls it melodramatic.

Note that there's only one negative review from the cream of the crop writers, and even she gave it a 3/5.

Also, really, the movie isn't so gung ho on this pregnancy thing, but I'm not gonna give too much away in case you actually decide to watch the funniest movie of the year.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:23 PM

I might. I'm just not in as much of a hurry anymore.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:09 PM

The movie made me want to walk right out of the theater and fly to Vegas.

When I arrived (in Vegas) I probably would have wanted to try shrooms and watch Cirque du Soleil.

"My fist tastes like a rainbow. Yummy."

Anyways...great flick. I will see it again for sure.