Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Re: 5.20 sopranos

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tony was out of line by beating up the made-guy for what he said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pffft. You are probably the ONLY person watching the show who thinks that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The end result of the scene would have quite likely been the same. However, "proper" move before taking out a capo that way is to talk to the head of the family. An ass-whipping or some other remedy may have been the ultimate resolution, but doing it on your own, and pointing the gun at the other guy in the restaurant were not the way to do it. Even Tony knew it. Do you think Tony would have gone to Phil's if he'd thought he was in any way out of line?

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Tony S wouldn't let Phil go after Tony B even after Tony B killed (not just beat up) Phil's brother. The whole fight about Vito was that Phil wanted to kill Vito, but Tony thought that Tony should handle Vito.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My prediction:

<font color="white">Phil puts out a hit on Tony, the Feds give him the information (as payback for the terrorist info), and Tony strikes first. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I agree with it but, I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is right I'm going to be so pissed that I read it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chances of this being right are very, very low. Phil has explicitly stated that he will not hit a boss.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't remember him saying that, do you happen to know which ep it was?

even assuming he did say that, i think it's safe to say all bets are off at this point.

anybody else think the jersey boy's might not be quick to rally around tony's war? it would suck to see tony betrayed like that, but chase has gone out of his way to show how weak tony is right now, and how much he's lost the respect of his crew.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't remember the exact episode, I want to say late season 6. Phil was being advised to consider hitting Tony, he said something like "whack a boss? I won't do it." He was then advised to "pick someone over there" (Jersey).
Old 05-21-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My prediction:

<font color="white">Phil puts out a hit on Tony, the Feds give him the information (as payback for the terrorist info), and Tony strikes first. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So if this in fact what happens, would the other NY bosses go after Tony if he manages to kill Phil? I could see a scenario where the other NY bosses would sanction the hit, but accept that, if Tony kills Phil first, Phil brought it on himself and they have no obligation to retaliate.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:49 PM

Some thoughts:

--Worst. Bungled. Suicide. Attempt. EVER! If you have a plastic bag and a rubber band, why do you need a pool? Is one cinder block really enough weight to hold down a swimmer? Let alone the fifteen feet of rope that everyone else has already mentioned.

--Little Carmine's best scene ever. He came to talk to Tony about that little "alteration", and warned Tony that he was "standing on the precipice of the crossroads." I was dying.

--Artie Buco was at Chrissy's funeral, standing with the guys. Don't blink, or you'll miss him. Wasn't he also at the Cleaver premier, or Christopher's cookout?

--Check out Tony's expression in scene where Meadow tells him about the Coco incident, and Tony says, "Oh really? What else did he say?" Gandolfini hasn't looked that cold-blooded since "True Romance".

[ QUOTE ]
hbo.com episode guide.....

On a date in the city with her new boyfriend, Patrick Parisi, Meadow is confronted by a drunk Coco, who makes a series of slightly threatening and vulgar remarks to her, before Albie finally pulls him away

[/ QUOTE ]

Albie is played by my boy Cha-Cha, and is part of Phil's crew. It's his second season on the show, and "Come on, Coco, let's go," may have been his second line of dialogue.

In real life, Cha-Cha owns a restaurant in Little Italy (Cha Cha's on Mulberry Street), which makes me wonder if either of the restaurant scenes were filmed in his joint. I'm sure he'll mention it on his Sirius radio show if this is the case ("The Wiseguys Show", with Big Pussy, Wednesday afternoon on channel 104; I can't believe, given all the Sopranos fans here, that I'm the only guy in the history of OOT who talks about this show, it's awesome--I'd pay Sirius the $12/mo just for this show).

One last Cha-Cha note: he's the short guy with the mustache drinking at the end of the bar with Frank Vincent in "GoodFellas". Again, no lines. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 05-21-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some thoughts:

--Worst. Bungled. Suicide. Attempt. EVER! If you have a plastic bag and a rubber band, why do you need a pool? Is one cinder block really enough weight to hold down a swimmer? Let alone the fifteen feet of rope that everyone else has already mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was laughing the whole time. My wife thought I was being cruel. The rescue scene was moving as hell, but I thought the actual attempt was hilarious.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:34 PM

also in the malapropism department:

Tony saying after he comes into Satriale's when everyone's found out about AJ's suicide attempt, 'okay i guess we have to talk about the 500 pound elephant in the room' - i have no idea why the writers insist on getting one of these into every episode this season. Little Carmine has always done that, but the precipice of the crossroads was a great mixed metaphor.

also while AJ's suicide attempt was certainly bungled, it's not like he's being entirely rational. The pool also has had heavy symbolism throughout the show. It almost seemed like AJ used the bag and the cinder block because he thought he couldn't screw up both.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some thoughts:

[/ QUOTE ]

I was laughing the whole time. My wife thought I was being cruel. The rescue scene was moving as hell, but I thought the actual attempt was hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually rooting for him to die because i'm really tired of this lame story line with his depression. My wife wasn't happy with me for this.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My prediction:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chances of this being right are very, very low. Phil has explicitly stated that he will not hit a boss.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't remember him saying that, do you happen to know which ep it was?

even assuming he did say that, i think it's safe to say all bets are off at this point.

anybody else think the jersey boy's might not be quick to rally around tony's war? it would suck to see tony betrayed like that, but chase has gone out of his way to show how weak tony is right now, and how much he's lost the respect of his crew.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil seems old school. So I would think if he puts out a hit on Tony it's because he got the proper blessings.

As far as Tony's tropps rallying around him who knows. When they were talking about the next epsiode (at the end of this episode) Sil says "he was playin both sides of the fence". So maybe someone like Paulie goes to be with the NY family.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

at the same time, how many of the New York crew outside of Phil's immeadite crew dislike tony enough to go to war with Tony. Already there is a war going on in NYC and Phil's position isn't exactly all that firm, so I wonder how much back up Phil would have if he tried to make a move on Tony
Old 05-21-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I was actually rooting for him to die because i'm really tired of this lame story line with his depression. My wife wasn't happy with me for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude. The Sopranos is about FAMILY. The whole point of the show is Tony dealing with the defects he was given by his mother and father, and is now passing on to his children, especially AJ.
So you're sick of a storyline that is a major part of the main theme of the show.