Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Re: shooting neighbor\'s cats in my backyard

[ QUOTE ]
Why dont you people keep your pets inside, the world isnt your litter box?

[/ QUOTE ]

Our neighbor moved away and left his house cat outside when he left. We've sorta adopted it by feeding it and built it a little cat house outside so he can stay warm in the winter. We can't keap him inside, because he stinks the place up by scenting everywhere. I've grown fond of "my" cat and he's been shot once by a neighbor with a bb gun.

I have mixed feelings about this entire situation, because I'd like to kick the [censored] out of whatever punk kid shot my cat with a bb gun, but at the same time less then a year ago I trapped a stray cat that was hurting my cat, and the stray cat went the way of old yeller.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:16 PM

Im 44 replys behind in this thread since i last read it.

Anyway, unless its been stated already i recommend using a catapult and ice cubes.

Thats what my dad uses at his house when cats come into the garden.

A water pistol is just as good though.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:17 PM

Will the cat bleed from the head?
Old 04-28-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im 44 replys behind in this thread since i last read it.

Anyway, unless its been stated already i recommend using a catapult and ice cubes.

Thats what my dad uses at his house when cats come into the garden.

A water pistol is just as good though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate on the catapult? this sound awesome. or are you just talkign about a slingshot/wristrocket...man Im going to be dissapointed if your dad isnt sitting on his deck with a small trebuchet
Old 04-28-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh... yeah, that's probably exactly what he should do. Spraying a cat with water isn't inhumane in the least - its a widely-recognized training tool, even - and its really not much effort to keep a super soaker by the window, or to buy a motion-sensitive sprinkler as someone else suggested. Either of those is certainly a more practical solution than either trying to trap a wary animal or turning the back yard into a chicken coop.

There's just no way any reasonable person can honestly suggest fencing in a backyard as the best route here; I can't even fathom the thought process that leads to that conclusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, putting a fence up around his garden is [censored] insane, but buying an entire [censored] motion sensored sprinkler system does make sense? Jesus christ.

Also,

I was not lumping the watergun idea in with the other non-humane ideas...I was just noting how being on fricken guard duty with a watergun probably isn't all that practical.

Anyway, best hope is that he can buy cat repellent. I think that is by far the best answer.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
http://landscaping.about.com/od/pest...repellents.htm

google

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not his responsibility to repell the cat from his garden, nor is it his responsibility to go to the store and spend money on that stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was [censored] hilarious, btw.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to injure the cats because it's not their faults they belong to irresponsible pet owners.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
A vastly more humane, safe, and cheap method would be to buy a squirt gun and shoot them with water. Do you have a garden hose, that would be even better.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Somebody in my former neighborhood BB gunned a couple of pet cats. One of them was blinded. . . . just awful

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The chances of something pretty nasty happening if you were to go that route, are pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I love cats. If some local 10 year old jerk kid shot one of my kitties, I would hunt him down and have him arrested or I'd just beat him into the ground myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a great chance of the latter occurring if you [censored] with the wrong people. No matter how bad you think you are with your paintball gun. Use a laser tag gun, nancy-boy.

[ QUOTE ]
keep in mind that cats have fur to lessen the impact some.

[/ QUOTE ]

You’re right, the cat fur vests will far outsell the Kevlar ones

[ QUOTE ]
Super Soaker FTW

[/ QUOTE ]

C’mon man, you’re passing up the ability to use a Super Soaker for a bonafide, legitimate reason without seeming like a pervert on spring break.

It must be frustrating to have your garden trampled on by outsiders like that. But get a hold of yourself. Hopefully you’re being facetious.

See:

The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?"

- Jeremy Bentham

When a man has pity on all living creatures then only is he noble. – Siddhartha Gautama

The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man.
-- Charles Darwin

"If a man aspires towards a righteous life, his first act of abstinence is from injury to animals."
-- Albert Einstein

Not to hurt our humble brethren (the animals) is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough.

Saint Francis of Assisi

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
-- Mohandas Gandhi

We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
-- Immanuel Kant

A good deed done to an animal is as meritorious as a good deed done to a human being, while an act of cruelty to an animal is a bad as an act of cruelty to a human being."
-- Prophet Mohammed

Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man.
--Arthur Schopenhauer
Old 04-28-2007, 07:31 PM

I'm shocked by people who think fencing is a reasonable solution. Beyond cost, time, etc. burden on the OP, have none of you people ever seen a cat? Autocratic's cats must have weighed like 35 pounds or something. I'm fascinated by the concept of a housecat stymied by a 3 foot fence. Was it made of barbed wire?

The watergun idea doesn't require him to sit out there all day, after he soaks one a few times it will associate that yard with unpleasant wetness.

You've got two options:
Watergun OR Cope. That's it. Anything else is somewhere on the spectrum between ridiculous and criminal.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...seek out the owners...or put up chicken wire. LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, I thought it was fairly obvious I was joking about the chicken wire here (see "LOL"), especially given that OP has made it clear the cats will rock any fence.

EDIT: Speaking of "chicken wire" though, I just read some of that link and saw how laying chicken wire OVER the soil works. Neat.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:43 PM

To put the issue to rest, since surprisingly so many have obviously never experienced it...

Normal cats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbFNAAQ7EHs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F9dEXj_VhE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyaTmKFzv2s
Obviously, Not a "ninja".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDFkP5JCgaM
holy [censored] now these are some crazy ninja cats.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSdzewxGSYs