Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Wrestlemania 23

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
'Taker's a good worker for a guy his size, but there's no way he's top 10 all-time (especially if you're factoring in Japanese/Lucha Libre guys). He probably barely makes a top 10 "big man" list, which would probably be topped by guys like Vader and Stan Hansen.

'Taker was really fun to watch in the early/mid 90s when he had a lot of athleticism.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will agree that Stan Hanson and Vader are great big men. But the term worker applies to his all around ability. Neither Hanson nor Vader could ever draw the way Undertaker does. As far as strict in ring ability goes Vader is one of the best ever but an all around package he lacks. Taker can pack a stadium, sell merchandise, work a great match (when he wants to), make a [censored] wrestler look good, and keep an otherwise ridiculous gimmic alive and profitable for 15-17 years (I can't remember which Survivor Series he made his debut). I admit his matches can get a little boring, but if you want an honest opinion from an insider standpoint, Taker is in the top ten of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? The term worker has nothing to do with drawing power or selling merchandise or anything else but in-ring ability. Hogan had the most drawing power ever, it doesn't make him the best worker ever (not even close). Taker as a top 10 wrestler of all time is a bit of a stretch if you are including every wrestler to ever step in a ring.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
'Taker's a good worker for a guy his size, but there's no way he's top 10 all-time (especially if you're factoring in Japanese/Lucha Libre guys). He probably barely makes a top 10 "big man" list, which would probably be topped by guys like Vader and Stan Hansen.

'Taker was really fun to watch in the early/mid 90s when he had a lot of athleticism.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will agree that Stan Hanson and Vader are great big men. But the term worker applies to his all around ability. Neither Hanson nor Vader could ever draw the way Undertaker does. As far as strict in ring ability goes Vader is one of the best ever but an all around package he lacks. Taker can pack a stadium, sell merchandise, work a great match (when he wants to), make a [censored] wrestler look good, and keep an otherwise ridiculous gimmic alive and profitable for 15-17 years (I can't remember which Survivor Series he made his debut). I admit his matches can get a little boring, but if you want an honest opinion from an insider standpoint, Taker is in the top ten of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? The term worker has nothing to do with drawing power or selling merchandise or anything else but in-ring ability. Hogan had the most drawing power ever, it doesn't make him the best worker ever (not even close). Taker as a top 10 wrestler of all time is a bit of a stretch if you are including every wrestler to ever step in a ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

the term worker is everything involving wrestling. Ask anyone in the business. I AM in the business. I was trained by WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant. I've grown up loving the business and I have several friends in the business. I am not just voicing my uneducated opinion, I am telling you the way it is from inside the business. Hulk Hogan is considered the greatest worker of all time. It is not a competition, it is an exposition meaning draw is just as important (from a business standpoint) as work rate. Work rate is just a part of being a worker. As far as work rate goes Hogan is not in the top 10, but Taker is up there (maybe not top 10, but at the very least top 20). Anyway, I'm tired of arguing about this.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:35 AM

Kamakaze,

Since you're in the business, I have a ? that I have always wondered about but never had anyone to ask.

When an English-speaking wrestler goes to Japan and wrestles with New Japan or whatever faction there, how do the English-speaking wrestler and the Japanese-speaking wrestler communicate in the match to plan the action? Are the moves universally named, or do they just tell the other wrestler to be in position for where their body is coming or something? I don't think the latter would work because it seems like if a wrestler jumped up and extended his legs horizontally, the other wrestler wouldn't know if it was a dropkick or a headscissors or what.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kamakaze,

Since you're in the business, I have a ? that I have always wondered about but never had anyone to ask.

When an English-speaking wrestler goes to Japan and wrestles with New Japan or whatever faction there, how do the English-speaking wrestler and the Japanese-speaking wrestler communicate in the match to plan the action? Are the moves universally named, or do they just tell the other wrestler to be in position for where their body is coming or something? I don't think the latter would work because it seems like if a wrestler jumped up and extended his legs horizontally, the other wrestler wouldn't know if it was a dropkick or a headscissors or what.

[/ QUOTE ]

my understanding is alot of the japanese wrestlers know enough english to get by or at least know the english words for most moves. Plus matches are rarely called in the ring anymore. Most of the time the workers discuss the match and certain spots before hand (prob with an interpreter). All the inbetween stuff is basic wrestling (grappling, off the ropes stuff) that any worker will naturally feed into.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the term worker is everything involving wrestling. Ask anyone in the business. I AM in the business. I was trained by WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant. I've grown up loving the business and I have several friends in the business. I am not just voicing my uneducated opinion, I am telling you the way it is from inside the business. Hulk Hogan is considered the greatest worker of all time. It is not a competition, it is an exposition meaning draw is just as important (from a business standpoint) as work rate. Work rate is just a part of being a worker. As far as work rate goes Hogan is not in the top 10, but Taker is up there (maybe not top 10, but at the very least top 20). Anyway, I'm tired of arguing about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

So worker=everything invovled with being a wrestler, but workrate=the actual wrestling now? WOW confusing! LOL @ Taker being a top 20 worker (sorry using that term wrong again I guess, silly me) of all time, thats very funny.

When you say you work in the business do you mean you run one of those cut, copy, and paste wrestling sites?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So worker=everything invovled with being a wrestler, but workrate=the actual wrestling now? WOW confusing! LOL @ Taker being a top 20 worker (sorry using that term wrong again I guess, silly me) of all time, thats very funny.

When you say you work in the business do you mean you run one of those cut, copy, and paste wrestling sites?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah worker = everything a wrestler does. work rate = is strictly in ring ability. No, I don't run a wrestling website, I'm a worker.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:35 PM

Stop being such a [censored] nit.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stop being such a [censored] nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't being a nit, I was answering a question.