Old 03-22-2007, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Little things that annoy you in sports

More substitutions for soccer, yo.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This leads me to the thing in sports that annoys me the most: deciding games with different rules that the whole game uses. This includes shootouts in soccer and hockey, and overtime in college football.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your general idea, but I'm going to give hockey and soccer a pass.

Hockey: It's not practical to play regular season games for multiple overtimes. I like the way the NHL still awards 1 point for losing in OT or a shootout, and ditches shootouts in the playoffs. I think it's a good system. Would I prefer the old system with ties? No, but it's close.

Soccer: You only get three subs and after 120 minutes the players are exhausted. Replays, which are used in some competitions, are better than shootouts imo.

College football OT is terrible imo, and the freethrows in basketball are even worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hockey: I would go back to ties after 60 minutes in the regular season. THere is nothing wrong with this. The way they do the playoffs is fine IMO.

In soccer, I would try to design competitions so that there aren't any knockout games. That way games can end after 90 minutes, and if it's a draw, then that's oaky. If you must have a championship game, I wouldn't have any other knockout games. In a championship game, I don't see why they can't keep playing until there is a goal (regardless of how long that takes).

[/ QUOTE ]

they are so tired after a soccer game... theres just no way
Old 03-22-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This leads me to the thing in sports that annoys me the most: deciding games with different rules that the whole game uses. This includes shootouts in soccer and hockey, and overtime in college football.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hockey: It's not practical to play regular season games for multiple overtimes. I like the way the NHL still awards 1 point for losing in OT or a shootout, and ditches shootouts in the playoffs. I think it's a good system. Would I prefer the old system with ties? No, but it's close.

Soccer: You only get three subs and after 120 minutes the players are exhausted. Replays, which are used in some competitions, are better than shootouts imo.

College football OT is terrible imo, and the freethrows in basketball are even worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hockey: I would go back to ties after 60 minutes in the regular season. THere is nothing wrong with this. The way they do the playoffs is fine IMO.

In soccer, I would try to design competitions so that there aren't any knockout games. That way games can end after 90 minutes, and if it's a draw, then that's oaky. If you must have a championship game, I wouldn't have any other knockout games. In a championship game, I don't see why they can't keep playing until there is a goal (regardless of how long that takes).

[/ QUOTE ]

And how are you going to do any of the league cups (FA Cup/DFB Pokal/whatever)?
Old 03-22-2007, 08:35 PM

Your ideas about having replays are fine with me. If I were designing a soccer tournament, there would be one supreme rule that I would always follow: THERE WILL BE NO SHOOTOUTS.

The only reason I suggest getting rid of knockout games is to eliminate shootouts. If there could be replays (without limit) then I wouldn't mind them.

[ QUOTE ]
You really can't just play until there's a goal.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's a championship game, I don't see why not.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they are so tired after a soccer game... theres just no way

[/ QUOTE ]

If they can have hockey games go 8+ hours, I'm sure they could have a soccer game go 3 or 4 hours. They could allow more substitutions if it's really a problem.

They could allow each team to field a fresh 11 after 90 minutes (kind of like starting a replay immediately). Any of these ideas would be fine with me. Just NO SHOOTOUTS.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The fact you can no longer charge under the goal in basketball. If you run a guy over it should be a charge shouldn't matter that you were "to far under the goal."

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you joking? They should implement the semi circle in the college game too.

[/ QUOTE ]

no I am not joking, that is bs

if you run someone over it should be a charge, it doesn't matter where it happens

you are basically telling all the small players that when someone bigger gets the ball under the basket you should get out of the way and let them score

[/ QUOTE ]

No, in most cases it should be a no call if they are in the semi circle. They don't call it right in the NBA or in college. By your rule, you could just stand still right under the basket as someone dunks on you and it be a charge. Too many players are punished for charges in the college game if they go at the rim and the guy sits under the hoop and gets knocked over. I hate the spots where the offensive player is above the hoop and they call a charge because the offensive guy knocks the defensive man under the hoop over with his knees/legs/lower body.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You really can't just play until there's a goal.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's a championship game, I don't see why not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I don't know the substitution rules for soccer (do you get two per game), but if you are out the guys on the field are going to get extremely tired and the probability of a goal being scored is going to go up exponentially over time.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) In order to be a commentator for the NCAA tourney it seems you must pronounce 'offense' 'ahhh-fense.' I can't take it. ahhh-fense. ahhh-fense. Is it just me?

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be just you. I don't drag out the first syllable as much, but I think most people pronounce it that way.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think they should eliminate the comercial break on pitching changes. They have a bullpen, so the pitcher should be able to come strsight into the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

The mound in the field might be different than the mound in the bullpen.

The starting pitcher gets his warm-up tosses at the beginning of each inning (and the position players get to loosen-up before each inning too).

This is the exact same as a pitcher getting his warm-up tosses upon appearing in the game.

Lots of pitching changes occur at the beginning of an inning anyway.
Yeah, it can take some time to bring him in and allow him to warm-up but I don't think it's that big a deal.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:50 PM

I hate how the last 2 minutes of a meaningless football games takes an hour and a half.

I hate how the first 3 quarters of a basketball game don't matter.

I hate how they play music during basketball play.

I hate Chris Berman and his dumb comments "The FOOTBALL Giants", as previously noted. The "OAKLAND RAAAAAAAAIDAHS" DUDE STFU!!!!

Baseball managers who overmanage. Sometimes doing nothing is actually the right move, guys! Did you ever think about that!?

I hate how almost nobody cares about hockey but then when someone gets hit with a stick in the head every couple years there is a huge uproar, as if people have some kind of emotional investment in the sport or players involved. STAY OUT OF MY SPORT F&CKHEADS! DO NOT act like you care!!!

Soccer.