Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Pentagon\'s Top General Calls Homosexuality \"Immoral\"

If the General does not like "immoral" people serving in his Army, Navy, etc, why doesn't he post MP's around the 'red light districts' and bars surrounding US bases, at home and abroad. Anyone caught with someone not their spouse should be kicked out of the service, right?
Old 03-16-2007, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the General does not like "immoral" people serving in his Army, Navy, etc, why doesn't he post MP's around the 'red light districts' and bars surrounding US bases, at home and abroad. Anyone caught with someone not their spouse should be kicked out of the service, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, actually, there is this law that I have seen enforced with court martial when I was in the Army 10 years ago.

[ QUOTE ]
Punitive Articles of the UCMJ
Article 134— Adultery
Text.

Elements.

(1) That the accused wrongfully had sexual intercourse with a certain person;

(2) That, at the time, the accused or the other person was married to someone else; and

(3) That, under the circumstances, the conduct of the accused was to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces or was of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces.

Explanation.

(1) Nature of offense. Adultery is clearly unacceptable conduct, and it reflects adversely on the service record of the military member.

(2) Conduct prejudicial to good order and discipline or of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces. To constitute an offense under the UCMJ, the adulterous conduct must either be directly prejudicial to good order and discipline or service discrediting.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, adultery in the military actually is illegal.

Mostly this is to prevent soldiers from sleeping with each other wives' resulting in all kinds of internal conflict within a unit.

It is the same kind of argument about openly gay soldiers being disruptive to unit cohesion that is officially the reason for "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

But in both the case of adultery and homosexuality, most Christian officers, like the general, view both acts as immoral. And, yes, they don't see killing in war as similarly immoral for the reasons I've already discussed.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:10 AM

AP
Presidential Candidate Governor Sam Brownback comes out in support of Pace:

[ QUOTE ]
"We should not expect someone as qualified, accomplished and articulate as Gen. Pace to lack personal views on important moral issues," Brownback said.

Asked whether he agreed with Pace's comments, Brownback said: "I do not believe being a homosexual is immoral, but I do believe homosexual acts are. I'm a Catholic and the church has clear teachings on this."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-16-2007, 11:52 AM

i don't think what the general thinks is immoral is really relevent to much of anything.

His position is not one to dictate morality. His ideas of morality have little bearing on his job or the job of his soldiers.

Many find gambling illegal but probably would never think that a person who plays poker for cash shouldn't be allowed to join the military.

I don't really care if the General thinks homosexuality is immoral. But that shouldn't effect the status of gays in the military.

On the other hand, I don't know that the General should be sharing his views on this matter. If he's a Catholic, he probably thinks all Jews are going to hell. But I don't think he should be giving interviews talking about how all jews are going to burn in hell for eternity. I think we can safely agree there would be some uproar about that.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
War, however, is apparently OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only is war ok, but it is a required responsibility of the state.

Romans 13:4

"For THE STATE is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for THE STATE does not bear the sword for nothing. THE STATE is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."
Old 03-16-2007, 12:50 PM

Albert Moulton,

Wow, extraordinary posting, thank you. Maybe if there's a special dispensation for killing in war, maybe there could be a special clause for sodomy during times of war? But seriously, the bible explicitly condoning killing in war while specifically condemning homosexuality is the kind of thing that makes people like me crazy. You gave a fantastic explanation why the General's position makes absolute sense to Christians in light of scripture, and I appreciate it.

LFS