Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Which Book Should I Write Next?

I think Simple guide to ToP is a horrible idea, but I haven't read much of ToP. I really don't think it would sell many copies or be very useful for anyone.

Algebra for 10 year olds would be great, if you really can write it as well as you say. Hard to say if you could make money with it though..

50 poker hands would be nice, but personally I'd hope it would be at least mostly about NL cash games. The book would obviously sell quite well.

What poker teaches us would be the one I'd most like to read myself, and it would sell pretty well, and maybe even be good for poker and poker players.

So I'd recommend either algebra or what poker teaches us. After reading your last post I'm leaning towards latter.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To teach Algebra to non talented students you have to know the subject cold while at the same time being able to relate to the difficulties that those non talented (or very young)students have with the subject. Those two talents are rarely found in the same person. I know I have both talents because of the success of my students.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with this statement.

I feel I come close to having these 2 qualities as a teacher, and without one of them I wouldn't be nearly as effective.

The "relating" part is where most high school/college level teachers are deficient.

I'm not sure that it even is a quality that can be "learned" in teachers college. To some extent you either have it or you don't.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the Algebra book would do the most for the common good

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are people saying this?

Another algebra book is going to make a difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY!

Who gives a [censored] if you can teach mentally retarded kids algebra?

It will make zero difference considering the fact that if a human isn't smart enough to learn an extremely simple subject like algebra, chances are VERY high he will never be in a position to use it the rest of his life anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry to say that there is some truth to this. The book I had in mind could not replace a textbook. It would be too easy and boring for anyone above average in math ability. It would greatly decrease the chances that less talented students would flunk the class if they used it as a supplement. And if that became known it would sell well. But it would not be suitable for brighter kids unless it was actually given to them when they were ten.

Does the above change anyone's mind?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its greatest value would be for teaching bright 8,9 or 10 year olds who are curious about the subject. I wanted to learn algebra when I was 10 but I couldn't find anyone to teach me. My dad tried to show me a couple of things he knew more or less by rote but couldn't really explain. Who knows what might have happened if I'd had your book.

Once you finish the book, the next step is converting the ideas to an interactive computer software tutorial. That's the real vehicle for a revolution in education.

PairTheBoard
Old 03-08-2007, 02:26 PM

a pervert writing books to help 10 year olds, good idea.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WHAT POKER TEACHES US

[/ QUOTE ]
For the love of God, please no.

[ QUOTE ]
ALGEBRA FOR TEN YEAR OLDS (And those who think like them)

[/ QUOTE ]
I would buy this book to see what you say and how you say it. A lot of kids (and adults) need help here, and the current instruction is largely inadequate. Plus, you finally get to do something worthwhile.

Not crazy on the title though. I think "ALGEBRA FOR SIXTEEN YEAR OLDS" would give you more opportunities at tours and book signings.

[ QUOTE ]
50 POKER HANDS THAT REALLY TEACH YOU SOMETHING

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
A SIMPLE GUIDE TO "THE THEORY OF POKER"

[/ QUOTE ]
This would be purely profit. Why dumb down a good book? The concepts aren't that advanced.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:16 PM

If you do write an algebra book, are you gonna put a reference on every page to one of your other math books like you do in all your poker books?

For instance, are you gonna say like: "For more information on 'factoring', check out my book 'Algebra For 22 Year Old Dyslexic Kids'...?

lol

----------

Im sure your examples in the book will be like how to calculate the amount in the pot given X people, Y blinds and such...

You should teach the readers that 5 minus 4 is equal to Ace.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:23 PM

"What poker teaches us"

The world, and more importantly, the american people, need this book. But more importantly.. I need this book!
Old 03-08-2007, 07:31 PM

And I see after reading this entire thread I am the only one who wanted this, and thats perfectly fine, you can write it just for me DS, thanks G.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This would be purely profit. Why dumb down a good book? The concepts aren't that advanced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. TOP is straight forward and easy to understand. However, HPFAP is another story and needed many readings (and experience) to understand well. SSHE explains things much better.

But TOP doesn't really need to be explained, imo.

A companion book that addesses different concepts might be a better idea.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rather think about what would be best for the world

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was the funniest thing I have ever read lmao

As far as being the best algebra teacher...do you think you could have done a better job teaching me than your father?

As for which book you should write next, the only thing that matters is which is most likely to make you a lot of money.
The algebra one would not do very well. Only gonna sell a few to people on here.

The TOP book is not the best for the reasons stated in previous posts, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

What poker teaches us is an interesting idea. I think there may be a market out there for this one. I think this would be the one to do. but is a gamble.

50 poker hands is an easy sell with a steady base that requires little work on your part.