Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2007, 07:51 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Re: San Francisco Bay Area: Your favorite things to do or places to go

second the loch lomond. the tidepools in santa cruz at natural bridges are better though.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:14 PM

re: outdoor in San Francisco Bay Area the sheer volume of things to do outside in the bay area makes it difficult to create a list of what's good to do. ANYTHING is good. Head North, South, or East and you'll find something awesome.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:27 PM

I like Esperpento.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:49 PM

a few more outdoor things...

Kitesurfing in Alameda (great place to take some lessons and just fly around the bay with the cityscape behind you)

Mountain biking like anywhere... but might as well rip all over Mt Tam where the sport was invented!

Sail out the gate and explore the farallons.

Roys Redwoods for some frisbee after a nice brunch at the Two Bird Cafe out in west marin.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:17 PM

I might have missed it somehow, but how has no one mentioned Chez Panisse ? While I think it has gone a little bit downhill in recent years, it's still an incredible dining experience.

As for my other random culinary favorites in the Bay, I really, really like Legendary Palace in Oakland Chinatown, St Francis Creamery in the Mission (couldn't find a link, but it's quite the popular spot), Kirala in Berkeley for Japanese food, and the gem of them all, Cinque Terre Restaurant , which is unquestionably the best value for Italian food in all of North Beach, and comes close to rivaling some of my fave spots in Boston's North End.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:21 PM

Oh, and I should mention that if you are after a serious espresso, try Cafe Nefeli in Berkeley , which routinely ranks in "Best of" Espresso lists for the United States.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would just add that for those flying to sf, oakland is one of the 5 best airports in the us, sfo is probably one of the 5 worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? Oakland rocks but I haven't really had problems at SFO and I fly a lot.

I'd like to add Slanted Door to the list of good restaurants. Pricy vietnamese/fusion in the ferry building on embarcadero. delicious.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:07 PM

My wife and I used to live at Mason and Clay, and I miss the Saturday routine of waking up after a Friday night that concluded with a Hurricane nightcap at the Tonga Room inside the Fairmont (yeah, pricey, but the water feature is pretty cool and it was a block from my apartment). Walk to down to Stockton and see the craziness that is Chinatown on a Saturday morning, up to Green with a stop at Little City Meats to pick up some sausages and a steak for Sunday. Walk up to the Ferry Terminal Farmer's market, get a roasted chicken and a grilled peach and eat it on the south side of the building. Catch BART to the Mission and stop off to get a haircut from one of the cute latinas that give the best $15 haircuts in the world, then do the week's vegetable shopping since the veggies are 1/3 the price of those at the farmer's market or Whole Foods. Stop at La Taqueria for a Carne Asada taco, then catch a cab back to the apartment.

The afternoon was filled with going to the beach, or Golden Gate Park, or Angel Island, or a Giant's or A's (I know, I know) game. Dinner at either Nob Hill Cafe, Italian food in North Beach, or at Bow Hon at Grant and Washington, which is one of a very few places where decent Chinese food is available on Grant street.

Saturday nights we spent in North Beach at the bars.

San Francisco is awesome.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i would just add that for those flying to sf, oakland is one of the 5 best airports in the us, sfo is probably one of the 5 worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? Oakland rocks but I haven't really had problems at SFO and I fly a lot.

I'd like to add Slanted Door to the list of good restaurants. Pricy vietnamese/fusion in the ferry building on embarcadero. delicious.

[/ QUOTE ]I was hoping you were talking about civilian flying! If anybody is interested in it, I'll be in the Bay Area around late April and I'll have a seat open. I plan on doing some flying into the SF area, but pretty much just an aerial vineyard tour and possibly, depending on what plane I get, some beach touring. Obviously, I would like to add that flying in the Bay Area and especially into the Napa Valley is absolutely incredible. I fly a lot faster and stupider almost every day, but I wouldn't trade a single minute of that stuff for my Bay Area experiences.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:11 PM

Crepes on Cole in Haight Ashbury is great.

I've heard Phoenix Hotel is very hip but it's in a horrible neighborhood - (Tenderloin district)