Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: How My Son\'s Insight May Have Saved Poker

[ QUOTE ]
So if you added a little trash bucket as part of the roulette board and you could opt to just throw your chips in the garbage, it would be a game of skill? What about blackjack? You can definitely play terrible blackjack on purpose and lose almost every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This argument is absurd. Cuz' you see, there is no "little trash bucket" in roulette...and there never will be. The theory obviously assumes that you play within the rules...e.g. you're not trying to lose.

Please be sensible.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So if you added a little trash bucket as part of the roulette board and you could opt to just throw your chips in the garbage, it would be a game of skill? What about blackjack? You can definitely play terrible blackjack on purpose and lose almost every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This argument is absurd. Cuz' you see, there is no "little trash bucket" in roulette...and there never will be. The theory obviously assumes that you play within the rules...e.g. you're not trying to lose.

Please be sensible.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're correct no trash bucket. but when i played some a few years back i would see idiots practically covering every single #. and he wasn't trying to lose. although the game is based on luck i think if you crunch the #'s i had a much higher % chance of winning money than he did over a 20 spin session.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. In David's original post he says "Nor am I talking about folding every hand in poker. I'm talking about playing very badly.)". That would be the same as hitting 19 and going bust. We are not talking about trying to lose on purpose. We are talking about trying to win but playing poorly.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:51 PM

Bump.

Hard to believe no one is taking on my argument.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:09 PM

How about this?

Poker is a game of skill because you can study the game and improve.

No matter how much you study games in which luck is the determining factor of success, one cannot improve. You can't study bingo or the lottery and win more money more often. There is no need for any books on either.

If you can study it, you can improve. Therefore, it is a skill.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about this?

Poker is a game of skill because you can study the game and improve.

No matter how much you study games in which luck is the determining factor of success, one cannot improve. You can't study bingo or the lottery and win more money more often. There is no need for any books on either.

If you can study it, you can improve. Therefore, it is a skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your point is correct cactusjack, but it only proves (as does Sklansky's argument, IMHO) that Poker has some skill. You can improve your Blackjack game by studying basic strategy. To advance legally we have to show poker is MOSTLY skill.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:58 PM

NONE of this matters if it doesn't get before juries.

How do we make that happen?
Old 02-16-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NONE of this matters if it doesn't get before juries.

How do we make that happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

To get it before a jury we have to wait until someone is criminally charged, either as a player, a site operator, or a money transfer agent, etc...

It can much more easily be gotten before a judge, however. Some states allow Courts to issue advisory opinions. In other (most) states you have to create a controversy of some sort. I recently read about a case in North Carolina where a guy leased a building to start a poker club, when the owner of the building found out what he wanted to do the lease was voided because "that would be illegal." The guy then sued and the case is currently in the NC Court of Appeals asking specifically for the court to find poker is a game of skill so his club would not be illegal. Link: (indirect) http://www.trianglepokerjournal.com/

I really admire that guy [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Skallagrim
Old 02-16-2007, 05:36 PM

Baseball is a game of luck and should be banned.

From an intreview with Bud Black (new Padres manager) in today's San Diego Union Tribune.

Baseball is more of an art than a science, and much more random than the game many talk-show cranks describe. It is a game of feel, not dogma; of percentages, not certainties. The perceptive fan may question a move based on its rationale, but it's the results that usually resonate.
You can throw the perfect pitch to the perfect spot at the perfect time, and a hitter might still smack it 400 feet. It then falls on the manager to explain the inexplicable.

Ban baseball or allow online poker.

Tuff
Old 02-16-2007, 06:11 PM

Great post tuff-fish - I warn you now that I will steal from it in the future [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Of course - this wouldnt apply to most baseball where a player is played a flat rate to play, win or lose. But every incentive clause would be invalidated and no more paying the winner of the World Series more than the loser.

Skallagrim