View Poll Results: River
Check behind 0 0%
Bet and fold to raise 7 53.85%
Bet and call raise 6 46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Why should I wish to live?

i know so many people like you its ridiculous. your problem is you're a coward. YOU ARE NOT LAZY, YOU ARE A COWARD. youve created a womb like world where you are as smart as you think you are. your afraid to venture out and find that you are...ugh...average. that you are as dumb as the people you make fun of but they just have the courage to go out and compete. heres why you should wish to live. to see what sort of f'd up shyt you can accomplish. on my best days i wake up in the morning and jump in the middle of something i have no idea how im going to get out of. it used to be every day but marriage has slowed me down. if i really had balls i woulda started a religion, that is my suggestion for you.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i know so many people like you its ridiculous. your problem is you're a coward. YOU ARE NOT LAZY, YOU ARE A COWARD. youve created a womb like world where you are as smart as you think you are. your afraid to venture out and find that you are...ugh...average. that you are as dumb as the people you make fun of but they just have the courage to go out and compete. heres why you should wish to live. to see what sort of f'd up shyt you can accomplish. on my best days i wake up in the morning and jump in the middle of something i have no idea how im going to get out of. it used to be every day but marriage has slowed me down. if i really had balls i woulda started a religion, that is my suggestion for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best answer in this thread and is likely 100% true.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:04 PM

Location: Phase 1: collect underpants Phase 2: ??? Phase 3: Profit

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A-

I would suggest you forget everything you know and everything that is happened to you in your life. Get some coffee. Reflect. I'm pretty sure this will give you the answer as to whether to kill yourself or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

What on earth would I reflect on, given this option? What does one have to make such a conclusion with other than one's own conceptions and experiences?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't make decisions in poker based on what happened a hand ago. You know what objectivity is?
I think you lack it.

Reflect on the meaning of life, applying everything you have learned but assuming none of the conclusions you have made about life up to this point are necessarily true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, yes, you do. This is what we label 'feel' - the whispers of experience. To that we combine learned, global theory. Life has no global theory, as it is infinitely more complex than poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but I'm saying despite this important "feel" consideration, whatever the circumstances you are under, you should strive to find the best objective continuation, which will not necessarily be a continuation you have made or seen before.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no objective consideration. The decision to live or die trancends objectivity. Objectivity depends on logic. Logic depends on postulates. Postulates depend on faith. They can be disproven, but never proven.

[/ QUOTE ]

A- Is that something you believe? Or are you just trying to win an argument? For the record, you believe that life is worthless because all logic rests on postulates which can never be proven, and therefor there is no objective meaning?
Old 02-03-2007, 11:05 PM

I am in many senses a coward, it's true. I'm not making fun of anyone. I am far smarter than most people, though I find that means relatively little. Compete at what, for what? That's the question. 'Accomplish [censored]-up [censored]' seems to invariably mean 'doing more or less what everyone else on the planet is doing,' and I don't really care for the suggestions I hear on that score.

"Wake up and jump into something I have no idea how I'm going to get out of?" Can you provide a concrete example? What does that even mean?

It sounds to me like you value action for its own sake. Such people have always struck me as unbearably full of themselves, overflowing with some mysterious force that tells them that they rule and what they are doing is awesome, no matter what it is.

Are you asserting that laziness is just a mislabel for cowardice, and that the quality of 'laziness' does not in fact exist? That would be an interesting line of discussion, if that's what you're saying, and you're capable of pursuing it.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:07 PM

I'm saying that meaning proceeds from sources that transcend reason. "Intelligence is only a tool, to be used toward a goal; goals are not chosen intelligently."
Old 02-03-2007, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i want to buy you a drink when i come out to LA
Old 02-03-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't understand this line of reasoning at all. You're trying to propose the premise that Anacardo isn't actually smarter than anyone else, but just thinks he is and is afraid to do anything productive with his life. That seems entirely flawed. I'm sure there's plenty of objective evidence that he is much more intelligent than an average person. It is entirely reasonable to suggest, as Alobar did, that these types of people have a different and more sophisticated view on life that makes it harder for them to be happy or satisfied with existence. Ignorance is bliss after all.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:16 PM

You wrote, "Perhaps life is worth living. I would like to know why it is, convincingly."

There is enough mystery about life and the hereafter. Consider living for the mere possibility that life is worth living.

Other practical suggestions are the typical ideas you will receive in the Psych forum:

Professional help
Regular exercise
Regular sleep
Good diet
Regular social contact

Consider also whether truth is more important than happiness. Must it be truth at all costs? Can you change the goal to be being happy? By doing so, perhaps you can seize upon all the grey areas of life/philosophy and turn them to your advantage of acheiving your new goal: being happy.

Finally, despite your desire for independence (a goal for many), you might be surprised at how fulfilling working in an office setting can be. Being effective in the office, and working effectively with others towards a common goal can be quite fulfilling.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i want to buy you a drink when i come out to LA

[/ QUOTE ]

"I, too, love random, mindless action for some reason!"
Old 02-03-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You wrote, "Perhaps life is worth living. I would like to know why it is, convincingly."

There is enough mystery about life and the hereafter. Consider living for the mere possibility that life is worth living.

Other practical suggestions are the typical ideas you will receive in the Psych forum:

Professional help
Regular exercise
Regular sleep
Good diet
Regular social contact

Consider also whether truth is more important than happiness. Must it be truth at all costs? Can you change the goal to be being happy? By doing so, perhaps you can seize upon all the grey areas of life/philosophy and turn them to your advantage of acheiving your new goal: being happy.

Finally, despite your desire for independence (a goal for many), you might be surprised at how fulfilling working in an office setting can be. Being effective in the office, and working effectively with others towards a common goal can be quite fulfilling.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the last two years I have tried any and all of your practical suggestions, and none have made any difference on my well-being. No-one, not even the therapists / doctors I've been to see, can so much as explain to my satisfaction how I will benefit from the process. I have attempted medication unsuccessfully. In any case I can't afford these things any longer.

As for the bit about offices, I sincerely doubt I would. I have been through school and I have held several jobs in my lifetime. My conclusion was that having to work with other people / do what other people tell me is loathsome.

And ah, values. Truth, yes, is absolutely more important than happiness. That is my postulate, in which I have placed my belief, and you may do what you like with it, though I suspect any useful argument on this point will keep us here a long, long time.
Closed Thread