Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Ivey vs. Corey Pavin golf bet

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you take my quote the way you're saying, we could give a 15 handicap an infinite number of rounds to break par.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly, and i'm offering 5 rounds, so it should be a good bet for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

right, but your'e taking what I said out of context. I meant it towards one round, as the bet is set up.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not taking it out of context, i'm taking what you said literally. if you mean something other than what you said, say what you mean.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw, phil should expect to shoot under par even with the 2-shot format. i'll bet on that at 1 to 1 in a second if we can somehow set it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what you said, and I said more or less that I'd take that bet.

You referred to Ivey, which I took to mean that you'd offer that bet in the context of Ivey's bet, which is one round
Old 01-04-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not taking it out of context, i'm taking what you said literally. if you mean something other than what you said, say what you mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I guess what I mean is, I'd take a bet at 1:1 against a 15 handicapper breaking par, in a scramble format, from the red tees, in one round of golf
Old 01-04-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So I guess what I mean is, I'd take a bet at 1:1 against a 15 handicapper breaking par, in a scramble format, from the red tees, in one round of golf

[/ QUOTE ]

based on what others have said here, i think i might be able to get better odds. but i'm interested in this bet. how would you propose going about setting it up?

to be honest i think it's very close. in windy conditions i probably wouldn't make the bet. in good scoring conditions i would. i'd only be willing to bet maybe 1k-2k. i'd take more action at better odds.

so what's your plan on how we would do this? how do we find an impartial 15-handicap? we'd obviously have to pay for his rounds and maybe something for his time, so this might not really be feasible, but i'm interested in what you propose.

EDIT: i thought i was replying to thremp, but if anyone else is interested let me know what you propose.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:46 PM

Corey Pavin is an insanely accurate and not a big hitter at all. I would think that this would make him an excellent player at a an easier golf course, but he did win a US open (probably the toughest tournament) so who knows.

I think Pavin wins easily.

ABC should come up with something like this. I'd love to watch Charles Barkley go up against his friend Tiger Woods with rules like this.

5400 yards is pretty short. A legit 15 handicapper who putts pretty well should be able to keep it around par. His handicap becomes a 10 or 11 at the reduced yardage (assuming he played all his rounds at 5400 yards, yet calculated his handicap as if he played at 6500 yards or so). I'll take a weaker ballstriker/better putter over a weaker putter/better ballstriker in this pseudo-scramble format.

Pavin will probably average 70 from the tips at a course with a course rating of 73.9. However, his range of scores is 65-75 on this course.

I think Ivey has a smaller range of scores, like 68-76, because of the scramble format.

Overall, I'd say Pavin is a slight favorite. I'd give him a 70% chance of winning this bet, assuming Ivey is a legit 15 and is a decent putter.

I'm a +2 if that adds any credibility to my analysis.

[ QUOTE ]
but the general premise that guys like PI do not enter into the terrible bets that you think they do still holds. Basically, if a solid pro gambler enters into a bet and you think it's ridiculously against him - think again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Ivey is known to play craps for pretty high stakes. Those bets are always against him [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

While he might be better at golf than we think, don't discount the action he's seeking by playing a Tour professional for $10k/hole.

These guys don't even get enough action at $4,000/$8,000 hold em and they need prop bets on what suit the flop will be?????
Old 01-04-2007, 04:49 PM

I know the thread has gotten sidetracked a bit, but I just want to reiterate that Ivey is WORSE than a 15 handicap. I thought I saw 17 somewhere, but my eyes are swimming from all of the numbers being thrown out.

Anyhoo, my OP just listed 3 hypothetical handicaps, 10, 15, and 20.

It sounds to me that the majority would take Pavin at 15+. One poster said Ivey at 10 would be a good bet and 11 or 12 might be break-even. Don't play golf enough to know if that's true or not.

And I've read about quite a few golf bets between poker players and I've never heard anyone taking a bet when they didn't have an edge or at least a fair deal. IMO, Ivey believes he does somehow.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:52 PM

$10k/hole is probably a relatively normal every day bet for Ivey.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5400 yards is pretty short. A legit 15 handicapper who putts pretty well should be able to keep it around par. His handicap becomes a 10 or 11 at the reduced yardage (assuming he played all his rounds at 5400 yards, yet calculated his handicap as if he played at 6500 yards or so). I'll take a weaker ballstriker/better putter over a weaker putter/better ballstriker in this pseudo-scramble format.

[/ QUOTE ]

a 15 is more like a 6 or 7 on this course. the course rating would be about 64, and the slope probably under 110.