Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2006, 09:04 PM

Default Re: My trip to Africa (6 months later)....

[ QUOTE ]
You know you can watch a watering hole in Africa live without even leaving home. I bet that's almost as fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

and cheaper [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2006, 06:25 AM

So how much partying/drinking did you do in Africa? Are there lots of bars and clubs like there is in America? What kind of music do they listen to? Do they have any weird forms of alcohol that we don't have?

Oh, and don't waste your 4,000th post on me
Old 12-07-2006, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So how much partying/drinking did you do in Africa? Are there lots of bars and clubs like there is in America? What kind of music do they listen to? Do they have any weird forms of alcohol that we don't have?

Oh, and don't waste your 4,000th post on me

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i drank a little, but only a few times because of my liver problem. yeah they have a ton of bars and clubs all over (just depends on the area). The music is for the most part our music, its just about 6 months to a year behind us!! Which was soooooo disappointing for me! And yes, they have a TON of alcohol we dont have, namely locally made wines. They also have absinthe and what not. Alcohol was genearlly a ton cheaper too, so needless to say most of the people I was with were trashed almost nightly on that or "other" things - which were completely dirt cheap.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:15 AM

no more questions??

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2006, 04:27 AM

Sorry, I just looked at your initial post but didn't read the whole thread so I don't know if this has been asked.

Did you get the sense of any 3rd worldy-ness or were the places you visited more touristy.

Did you have any candid, interesting conversations with Africans?
Old 12-09-2006, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I just looked at your initial post but didn't read the whole thread so I don't know if this has been asked.

Did you get the sense of any 3rd worldy-ness or were the places you visited more touristy.

Did you have any candid, interesting conversations with Africans?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I was all over in different areas. Some places were touristy and others were very very 3rd world, but even the tourist areas can be dangerous and have that 3rd world stuff around the corner.

I had lots of conversations with Africans of all races while I was there ranging from the world cup to politics. I wouldnt even know where to begin!! What do you want to know about??
Old 12-09-2006, 09:21 PM

wow [censored] awesome trip report peachy.
The pic of that kid with ur sunglasses is so cute [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I love people posting lots of pics with their reports.
Pics is half the fun. 10/10
Old 12-09-2006, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow [censored] awesome trip report peachy.
The pic of that kid with ur sunglasses is so cute [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I love people posting lots of pics with their reports.
Pics is half the fun. 10/10

[/ QUOTE ]

heheh thanks hun!! I really am glad some of you enjoyed it so much!! Like I said I have 3k+ pictures so if anyone wants more of anything let me know!!
Old 12-09-2006, 10:05 PM

what surprised you most?
What made you the most sad?
What made you the most happy?
Do you take 22k trips every year? (if so can I come along next time)
Old 12-09-2006, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what surprised you most?
What made you the most sad?
What made you the most happy?
Do you take 22k trips every year? (if so can I come along next time)

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah hrrmm lets see...

What suprised me the most was that stuff was cheaper in SA, I was told it was more expensive. Sadly, alot else didnt because I had traveled in 3rd world countries before. Although, in regards to people I met on the trip, I was suprised that I got super close to sooooo many awesome people again. I felt like this was a fluke in Central America and mentally prepared myself for not so awesome people, but I got extremely lucky again!! A few of them have even flown to visit me since I got home!! And a few more are coming to visit in the next 6 months!! So it was a kick ass suprise!! Maybe its just cause im so super awesome sociable and outgoing!! who knows!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The most sad would probably have to be the children and the living conditions of many people in these countries. Again though, I was prepared for this circumstance from traveling through Central America, but HIV does play more of a key role here and therefore is heart wrenching the things people do in regards to this disease there - they will go to outrageous lengths to try and "cure" themselves. The second saddest was leaving all the people I had become so close to whether they were locals I met there or people who had traveled there like me. I wrote about 5 very personal notes and gave them to others as we all departed onto our planes on various days and times. One girl flew into Paris with me and stayed a little while on an extended layover, so I think we perpetuated each others saddness. We both cried extremely hard when the third person of our trio (which we had formed from the day we met for 2 months) had to leave us for a different flight in South Africa. Then again, in Paris, I bawled when she got in the taxi to leave, mainly because she was already in tears walking out to get the cab. As she pulled off we stared at each other waving and crying haha it was like a bad scene out of a movie!! The people kept asking me in french about me being sad but I couldnt understand much more or say much back cause I was so emotional and my french was rusty!! She called me a few days later and told me that when she opened her note on the plane she started crying again and cried for nearly 3 hrs of her flight and that people prolly thought she was nuts!! A few of the other people who said they opened the letters did the same, it made them start crying again! Oh well...I know I will see most of them again so it eased me. I guess in those kinda situations you build super emotional and tight bonds very very quickly haha if i had been around them more than 6 months we prolly all woulda hated each other!!

The happiest thing has to be the children as well. Nothing makes me feel more satisfied with life than working with those kids. Also the fact that I got to do some good in a lot of peoples lives there and help monetarily gave me great joy. Even from here, I send what I can when I can, whether it be books, clothes, toys or money.

hahaha I can barely afford myself!! how can I afford anyone else?!?!??! But yes, I tend to spend alot on trips. And I usually travel consistently for 3 months straight in the summers and then throughout the year as well

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]