Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2006, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Truffle Season

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going out to dinner tonight to celebrate that cake next to my name. Truffles on the menu : Truffle tortellini in beef stock and parmigiano mousse ; truffle wrapped in sea-bass tossed in butter and cabbage suace ; whipped eggs backed with truffle and creme fresh ; Carpaccio coquille st jacque (I think it's scallops in translation) with pistachio and truffle oil ; Fettuccini with truffles and a poached egg.

And the yummiest dish, though truffle-less : Egg yolk Ravioli with lobster meat and goat cheese.

Gonna be good [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am drooling.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Conclusions : The tortelini was flat out amazing, altough such a tiny portion. It was so packed with black truffles, a real treat.

The scallops carpacio kicked ass as well, even though mostly cause the scallops were very good. Truffle oil isn't anywhere near as good as real truffle obviously.

I also had a "butcher's cut", which is a direct translate, not sure if that's what you call that piece of meat in english, with truffle gnochi, which was excellent.

All in all, good birthday dinner. I'm pleased. Got my truffle fix.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:07 AM

When I was a Joel Robuchon last February, there was a guy sitting next to us not having what everyone else did. (Normally, you get one of the two tasting menus.) We asked him what he was eating and he said black truffles. Biggest plate of truffles I've ever seen, just heaping with microthin slices of the stuff, which is why I didn't recognize it. That dish must have cost him $1000 easy. It was certainly the most expensive plate of food I'd ever seen.

Apparently he normally flies to Paris every year for a truffle experience, but couldn't make it this year, so he called up Robuchon to arrange something. Now that's balla.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:16 PM

Anyone been to a Robuchon "Atelier" ? Always seemed like fun to be sort of eating in the kitchen.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:49 PM

I had the chance to eat lunch in a Michelin 3* restaurant in Paris. The main course included a mound of finely diced black truffles about half the size of an egg. It was the most incredible taste I had ever experienced, both subtle and powerful.

Three years later, I can still vividly remember the taste.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Three years later, I can still vividly remember the taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the most important statement in this thread. Thats what makes a truffle experience so significant, its not the actual eating experience that you treasure, its the memories. The flavor of truffles are very kind to the memory, its easily recallable. I have had dreams about eating where the flavor was truffles even though I wasn't eating truffles in the dream. This is odd because I really wouldn't want to eat truffles that often, its truly a rare pleasure and I'd prefer to keep it that way.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:40 PM

I heard somthing about truffles (and in particular truffle oil) a while ago but Im not sure if its an urban myth or not- see if OOT could enlighten me:
I was told that truffles have a high concentration of a substance similar to female sex hormone (this is particulaly high in truffle oil) so men will often like truffles more than women. My sample size of 1 says this is true- the only person I have eaten truffles and truffle oil with is my girlfriend- who loves truffles but cant stand truffle oil.
Just as a little add on- I hate smelly cheese (this was confirmed today at a local food festival where after enjoying a selection of local ales and this fantastic toffee flavoured vodka I decided to be brave and try some blue cheese- I dont get the attraction there!) and Im not a huge fan of mushroooms, there are some that I really enjoy but I wouldnt put them up in my 'favourite food stuff' list.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:18 PM

At the market in my street in Amsterdam you can buy egg salad with truffles for 0.95 euro/150g packet. Delicious and cheap.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Pink Taco [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
What's a pink taco?

[/ QUOTE ]

K make that 2

[/ QUOTE ]

Do a google image search, very NSFW

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus you guys could not figure that out without Google?

Do you close your eyes down there or what?

Truffle butter is as far as I have gotten. It was really good on fresh Italian Bread and Parmigiano Reggiano.

I have never had the opportunity to have Fresh Black truffle shavings but would like to.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:18 AM

Location: just a skinny azzzed short stacking gossip hurling trouble maker

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Circo at bellagio makes an incredible black truffle risotto

[/ QUOTE ]

They use truffle oil rather than real truffles. Regardless its really good, I've ordered it a few times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got it in january and it was covered with the real thing, fo sho