Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2006, 10:22 PM

Default Re: ask pryor15 about anything--anything at all

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I've never been able to get into Kael. Every time I try to, I give up with the thought that I shouldn't have to work this hard to understand a mere movie review. Half the time I have no idea if she likes the movie or not, and I start to think the review is more about her than the movie. But some people love her, so it's always worth a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

She was a truly monstrous ego, and often wrote about her petty prejudices. She often embodied the worst of the cliches about movie reviewers.

Some of her reviews are pretty darn good, though. But sometimes she's nearly unbearably mean-spirited and taken with her own petty sillinesses.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:14 AM

going into baseball for pitching what do you think is the single biggest indicator of a good pitcher, i like to look at WHIP (new school) but i know a lot of odler people like looking at wins but i feel that is being shortsighted.

what do you think?

P.S. WHat your wrote is that for a book or screenplay. I am guessing a book?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
going into baseball for pitching what do you think is the single biggest indicator of a good pitcher, i like to look at WHIP (new school) but i know a lot of odler people like looking at wins but i feel that is being shortsighted

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually whip is sorta old school too. I like it though and use as one of my more important indicators. Current theory is that there are 4 things, homeruns, balls in play, strikeouts and walks. Saberminded analysts consider all balls in play equal (debatable) so the sweet spot is high K's and low BB's and homeruns. I use a combination of all of these factors when breaking down a game matchup.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
going into baseball for pitching what do you think is the single biggest indicator of a good pitcher, i like to look at WHIP (new school) but i know a lot of odler people like looking at wins but i feel that is being shortsighted.

what do you think?

P.S. WHat your wrote is that for a book or screenplay. I am guessing a book?

[/ QUOTE ]

i look primarily at K/BB (2.5 or higher).

for fantasy baseball, when looking at sleepers, i look for guys with a good K/BB rate and a Hit Rate over 30%. Since that tends to regress to a mean of 30%, a rate of, say, 35% is an indication of an artificially inflated ERA (i.e. bad luck)

also, you want a HR/9 to be below 1.00

yeah, a book