1972 Obscured by Clouds
1973 Dark Side of the Moon
1975 Wish You Were Here
1977 Animals
1979 The Wall
2000 Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water
Old 10-14-2006, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Greatest Album of Any One Year

I love all these lists that are really great for all the old years because you guys are basing it on empirical knowledge and consensus opinion, and then really awful for like the last 5 years because you guys get all biased by your college sensitivities and name mediocre pitchfork media indie stuff that will fade away in time as the hype dies and you guys move on to other phases. um yeah.

Kudos for the diversity though, being able to name say, Black Sabbath, Michael Jackson and Nas all in the same list is pretty sweet and I do love a lot of these picks.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2000 Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha ha?

I have real trouble taking anyone's list seriously if they don't have Kid A down for 2000. Also, I think Soundgarden was hands-down better than Nirvana, Pearl Jam, or any of the other major grunge bands of the day. Personal taste biases keep me away from saying Superunknown is clearly better than Illmatic and the like, but to put Nirvana's Unplugged or Alice in Chains' Jar of Flies above it seems pretty off to me. And Weezer's debut? Huge "LOL."
Old 10-14-2006, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wow, jack of arcades just owned this entire thread.
his list isn't perfect, but he's done a hell of a lot better on most of the years than anyone else has

[/ QUOTE ]
He got 69, 71 and 75 wrong.

EDIT: He got a lot more wrong. It's obviously hipster biased.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahh, this is a meaningless designation. hipsters are by and large music critics and conossieurs. so they've formed stronger opinions and developed a wider palate than most people. you might as well say "this red wine list is biased to people who take wine seriously".

[/ QUOTE ]
HAHA

Your def of a wider palate is about a few hundred bands who sound reasonably similar and mopey.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
his list isn't perfect, but he's done a hell of a lot better on most of the years than anyone else has

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ahh, this is a meaningless designation. hipsters are by and large music critics and conossieurs. so they've formed stronger opinions and developed a wider palate than most people. you might as well say "this red wine list is biased to people who take wine seriously".

[/ QUOTE ]
HAHA

Your def of a wider palate is about a few hundred bands who sound reasonably similar and mopey.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the bands in Jack's list all sound similar and mopey. You're not at all deriding a music list as "hipster" because you disagree with it then stereotyping it based on that description. You are looking at this with a viewpoint and taste totally free of bias.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all a matter of opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]
uh... what's your point?
Old 10-14-2006, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
HAHA

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the bands in Jack's list all sound similar and mopey. You're not at all deriding a music list as "hipster" because you disagree with it then stereotyping it based on that description. You are looking at this with a viewpoint and taste totally free of bias.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, then how about this? Your def of a wider palate is about a few hundred bands who sound reasonably similar, and there isn't a hard rock album that you guys like.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:12 PM

I still don't understand your post even after you've edited it.

Edit: But I'd love to get a definition of "hard rock" from you."
Old 10-14-2006, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love all these lists that are really great for all the old years because you guys are basing it on empirical knowledge and consensus opinion, and then really awful for like the last 5 years because you guys get all biased by your college sensitivities and name mediocre pitchfork media indie stuff that will fade away in time as the hype dies and you guys move on to other phases. um yeah.

Kudos for the diversity though, being able to name say, Black Sabbath, Michael Jackson and Nas all in the same list is pretty sweet and I do love a lot of these picks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how you can say "kudos to diversity" while at the same time denouncing all "pitchfork media indie stuff" as just a fad that will pass. Just because you don't attempt to listen to anything past what's popular by the masses doesn't mean other people are wrong for doing so.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:31 PM

JoA,

Disturbed, System of A Down, Slipknot... You know, the good stuff.