Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2006, 03:22 PM

Default Re: cover songs better than the original

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for that -- very cool. Also, Zappa's cover of the Allman Brothers' 'Whipping Post" is worth seeking out...

[/ QUOTE ]

there's a decent story about that one.

zappa was playing live in helsinki when a guy yelled out "WHIPPING POST!"

"say that again please...whipping post? ok just a second... oh sorry, we don't know that one, anything else? hum me a few bars of it, please. just show me how it goes, please...just sing me 'whipping post', and maybe we'll play it with you."

he wasn't kidding about trying it out for the first time on stage, zappa's bands have phenom musicians/singers. but the guy only yelled back 2 random notes. they moved onto the song they were planning on performing, "montana". he adapted the lyrics in the song to talk about whipping posts. sometime after the show he looked the song up, and it became a regular cover on subsequent zappa tours. the whole event was recorded, i just transcribed it from the zappa live cd "you can't do that on stage anymore volume 2".
Old 08-24-2006, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for that -- very cool. Also, Zappa's cover of the Allman Brothers' 'Whipping Post" is worth seeking out...

[/ QUOTE ]

there's a decent story about that one.

zappa was playing live in helsinki when a guy yelled out "WHIPPING POST!"

"say that again please...whipping post? ok just a second... oh sorry, we don't know that one, anything else? hum me a few bars of it, please. just show me how it goes, please...just sing me 'whipping post', and maybe we'll play it with you."

he wasn't kidding about trying it out for the first time on stage, zappa's bands have phenom musicians/singers. but the guy only yelled back 2 random notes. they moved onto the song they were planning on performing, "montana". he adapted the lyrics in the song to talk about whipping posts. sometime after the show he looked the song up, and it became a regular cover on subsequent zappa tours. the whole event was recorded, i just transcribed it from the zappa live cd "you can't do that on stage anymore volume 2".

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome. FZ was probably the best when it came to audience participation/interaction. The guy they bring up on stage to do his "Kindergarten" poem on YCDTSA Vol. 1 is a prime example.

But I call BS on Frank's part though. I think he was just playing off the crowd. No way were they going to even attempt it. He was notorious for being a perfectionist, going as far as to practice 10 hours a day before a tour to make sure everything was just right. He demanded that his musicians get everything exactly to his liking (but that could have a lot to do with the utter complexity of his works - see Black Page #2 for an example).
Old 08-24-2006, 03:49 PM

Kate Bush's song Hounds of Love was recently done by the futureheads.

Their version was voted the best song of 2005 by the NME (a big uk indie magazine)
Old 08-24-2006, 03:49 PM

on the perfectionism, he ends up restarting that very performance of "montana" twice because it wasn't good enough! i've heard it talked about too. i don't think that he is above screwing around with a basic melody in an improv setting though, but who knows now. he's dead [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

if anyone's curious about the guy, google his playboy interview that he gave while he had cancer. i think it's the best one i've ever read.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:54 PM

one of my picks:
"turn the page" - original by bob seger, cover by metallica

flame away on this one:
"both sides now" - original by joni mitchell, covered by various artists. my favorite version is by Hayley Westenra

One ive heard from several people (I dont agree with):
"99 red balloons" - original by Nena, cover by Goldfinger.

but you all just wait until K-fed covers something. then its all over folks
Old 08-24-2006, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Paul Anka and Heavy Metal

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
THEY JUST DID THIS THREAD IN MODS PLAYGROUND

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think many people care

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but there are a lot of good answers there already, plus i used up all my better ones there
Old 08-24-2006, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Nirvana - "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" (Leadbelly)

[/ QUOTE ]
Speaking of covers found on the Nirvana unplugged album, Nirvana's version of "The Man Who Sold the World" beats the everliving [censored] out of David Bowie's.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:28 PM

yeah it does.
there are like 6 covers on that album and they're all good.

i also must again speak up for "Maybe I'm Amazed" by the Faces.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:21 AM

dredge this relic up...

David Gray, "Smile Like You Mean It" originally by The Killers
Old 04-02-2007, 12:31 AM

A lot of the tunes Johnny Cash covered were better than the originals. On the other hand, George Thorogood's version of "Cocaine Blues" is better.

Most covers of Dylan tunes are pretty bad. They take all the texture and feeling out of the songs. Never been a big Hendrix fan, but "All along the Watchtower" is probably the best cover of a Dylan tune. I still can't say it is better than the original.