Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2006, 08:00 PM

Default Re: why are cigarettes legal?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Motorcycles at least have benefits. Better gas mileage, shorter commute times, fun to ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

And cigarettes have NO benefits? You mean people who KNOW they are going to harm you smoke them for NO reason?

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not there have actually been scientifc studies trying to show POSITIVE benefits of smoking. I know one of the studies was the positive benefits of smoking for people aged 70 and up. Basically, the good outweighs the bad in the short run so for old people, they are already old and won't have enough time to die from the long term effects of smoking (lung cancer, heart disease, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...

let's just go ahead an make old age illegal! WTF are they good for anyhow?
Old 08-04-2006, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the stress relief from smoking is more just nicotine craving satisfaction.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can think all you want, but people CHOOSE to smoke. Clearly that is something they are CHOOSING even knowing the harm in it. Who the [censored] do you think you are deciding what harms outweigh what benefits? Its idiots like you that are the reason why they are trying to make online poker illegal- people who think they know how everyone else should prefer things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm, your ripping into him and he's already stated in this thread he smoked for 20 years

Smoking can feal very good, but if a person does it to often they eventualy build up a tollerance to it, and then it can eventualy turns into an addiction, it doesn't have to though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, whatever. I don't give a [censored] what anybody smokes or where they smoke it. I never said anything like I thought smoking should be banned so I don't know what his beef is. Maybe he needs to smoke more for the stress relief.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:04 PM

Kipin,

I'm pretty sure you're batshit crazy. However, I won't offer up any scientific evidence or insight into this issue that isn't found easily on Google because I'm not an authority. Repeat that with me: "I'm not an authority." Watching one P&T segment on this does not count, either.

Aloysius,

You know that you and I are genetically predisposed to <3 cigs. I managed to quit in February though.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ummmm, your ripping into him and he's already stated in this thread he smoked for 20 years

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL at this part.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL at this part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooops I quoted the wrong poster. Silly me.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:00 PM

Skunk - stay strong.

Jason smokes - 'nuff said. Smoking (and Gorie) are awesome. I miss you cigarettes.

-Al
Old 08-04-2006, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If someone who smokes really bothers you just fart in his face.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually done this a few times.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"There's a guy- I don't know if you've heard about this guy, he's been on the news a lot lately. There's a guy- he's English, I don't think we should hold that against him, but apparently this is just his life's dream because he is going from country to country. He has a senate hearing in this country coming up in a couple of weeks. And this is what he wants to do. He wants to make the warnings on the packs bigger. Yeah! He wants the whole front of the pack to be the warning. Like the problem is we just haven't noticed yet. Right? Like he's going to get his way and all of the sudden smokers around the world are going to be going, "Yeah, Bill, I've got some cigarettes.. HOLY [censored]! These things are bad for you! [censored], I thought they were good for you! I thought they had Vitamin C in them and stuff!"

You [censored] dolt!

Doesn't matter how big the warnings are. You could have cigarettes that were called the warnings. You could have cigarrets that come in a black pack, with a skull and a cross bone on the front, called tumors and smokers would be lined up around the block going, "I can't wait to get my hands on these [censored] things! I bet you get a tumor as soon as you light up! Numm Numm Numm Numm Numm" Doesn't matter how big the warnings are or how much they cost. Keep raising the prices, we'll break into your houses to get the [censored] cigarettes, ok!? They're a drug, we're addicted, ok!? Numm Numm Numm Numm Numm *wheeze*"

- Denis Leary

[/ QUOTE ]

Introduced in Australia a couple of months ago.

I still smoke, but I have tried much harder to cut down since the packets came out, and I hope to quit by the end of the year. I am not the only one, either. Many people I know have responded similarly. These packs have also had the effect of making smoking an even more dispicable public activity. When you put your mouth cancer pack down on the table in a bar it innevitably draws groans of disgust.

Also in Australia there is a ban on all cigarette advertising.

I'm all for it, personally. But I'm not a crazy libertarian. Starting smoking was the worst decision I ever made in life. I still do it only because I am hopelessly addicted and pretty weak willed with things like this. Banning cigerettes is never going to happen, because it would be an exercise in futility. However, the more that cigarettes are banished to the fringes of society the happier I'll be. I absolutely love smoking, but cigarettes do systematically kill people...

Also, for those pointing to Penn and Teller as the be all and end all on passive smoking, give me a break! It's a fifteen minute pop-doco that raises some questions but falls a long way from being the final say on the matter.

If you're going to make the logical fallacy of appealing to authority, choose a better authority that a trickster duo.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:31 PM

I can't believe they put that grill on the pack. The other two have zero effect on me, but that one is just disgusting.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:41 PM

You know, you 2+2'ers are a really sharp bunch. Seriously. That's why I come here and spend way too much time in lieu of something else.

That said, and I know it's gonna piss some people off, but I don't understand why ANYONE under the age of 50 takes up smoking these days. Our parent's generation yeah, the risks weren't as acknowledged and everyone was doing it. And it was fairly cheap. It's disappointing to see some of my favorite posters (Al, skunk, et al) have or had the habit.

To use the overplayed term, it's massively -EV and I should think you all knew this in the first place. Why the hell did you guys start? To rebel? "Ooh I'm gonna put these nasty carcinogens in my body, that'll show my parents!"

BTW my old man was a FOUR pack/day Swisher Sweet smoker when he quit cold turkey. He theorized that tobacco companies have increased the nicotine content over the years to keep people hooked, but he's something of a wacky conspiracy theorist and I've never heard of that from anyone or anywhere else.