Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2007, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Make your own odds russian roulette?

I would consider one trigger pull for 10 million, with only 3 chambers.

Actually I think I would do it for 3 chambers. I'm single atm, and I'd be dead if I lost. Not paralyzed.

As screwed up as it i, yes 3 chambers for 10 million. I'd consider a flip with 2 chambers.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:09 AM

IDK anything about guns, but this thread really got me thinking. If the bullet hits your skull will you die 100%? If not I may up it.

If a gay handed me 1 million in cash, and handed a gun with 1 bullet in 3, I'd pull w/o question. For 10 mill, Id flip as well. For 100 mill, I would prolly do 3 bullets in 5.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

That's how I roll.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I couldnt play this game. I have the worste luck at roulette and I cant imagine I would be any better at the Russian version.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:42 AM

Havent read it all through but heres something else:
The classic question is; You will get [insert load of cash here] for playing russian roulette, how many chambers would you do it with?

Some goes for any number, since it's ev+. Some won't do it at all. But I've though about it and if you do it with 1/10 bullet, How many times would you do it? I mean, the odds won't change.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How many times would you do it? I mean, the odds won't change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being that I have relatively little money (when you're talking about millions), the first 10 million is worth way more to me than the next 10 million. So once I set my lowest number and did it, I wouldn't do it again.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:20 AM

I remember the old thread on this and looking up some numbers to satisfy my own curiosity. I think the official figure given by the gov't was something like 1 in ~2,900 of the US population will die of accidental causes or homicide within the next 12 months.

With that in mind, it seems like a ton of people are over-valuing their lives. I mean, existence is great and all, and it's not like I'm not ridiculously frightened about the idea of dying, but idk. If this is the only life I've got to live, I'd rather it be a really fun one than having to grind hard for 50 years. At least I think so... Since I'm not religious and don't believe in a soul, I don't see "myself" existing after my brain dies any more than I existed before my brain was formed, so instant death isn't really anything to dread, other than my uncertainty that I'm right in those beliefs and my natural fear of the unknown.

Pulling the trigger and getting unlucky and instantly ceasing to exist isn't conceptually different than never being born, as far as I can tell. So idk, if the payout is enough to set me up for a very well off life, say $100M, and I have a 2800:1 shot at dying within the next 12 months anyway, then what the hell.

I think ideally I'd take $100M at a pretty low figure, maybe even something like 8 chambers. It might even be lower. Actually managing to get the balls to pull the trigger is another story though...
Old 06-16-2007, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that David Sklansky discussed this one time. As I remember it, he said that this was a bet that should not be taken for this reason: say you were offered $1 million for taking a 100-1 shot of dying. Surely nobody would take $100 million in exchange for certain death, so therefore you shouldn't take the chance for the million.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't wanna think it very far thru right now 'cause I'm sleepy, but I don't think I buy this.

Someone please disprove the great Sklansky by filling the variables:

"Accept X:1 odds of Y occurring in exchange for Z iff you would also accept X*Z for Y definitely occurring."
Old 06-16-2007, 09:35 AM

you can hold me to this if you can put together the money
Old 06-16-2007, 02:24 PM

The key is to put the barrel where you'll survive if getting shot in the noggin
Old 06-16-2007, 03:48 PM

I think it is silly to assume that death will be quick and painless. This of course is not necessarily true and the possibility of a painful death should be taken into account.