Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2006, 12:34 PM

Default Re: **American Idol Finals: Music of Queen

[ QUOTE ]
did anyone else piss themselves laughing when that dude missed the kick on the microphone stand?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the "dude" with the highest dialidol rating?

...yeah, a little =d
Old 04-12-2006, 01:46 PM

It's really funny how everyone has a different idea of who is best and worst.

Top:
Chris
Paris
Kat

Middle:
Bucky
Taylor

Bottom:
Kellie
Elliot
Ace
Old 04-12-2006, 01:54 PM

Ok, we're still waiting on the AT&T results, but based on Dial Idol's ever-improving polling and previous results, I'd estimate true value to be as follows:

36 Taylor
21 Chris
18 Kellie
10 Katharine
7 Elliott
7 Paris
1 Bucky
0 Ace

I have trouble assigning values to Elliott and Paris for betting purposes. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 04-12-2006, 02:33 PM

Can someone please explain how the long term markets
contracts work?
Old 04-12-2006, 03:03 PM

I'm not sure what info you're looking for...

You buy and sell the contracts at the prices listed, and if they win, they expire at 100, if they get kicked off, they expire at 0. In between, you can buy and sell as the prices fluctuate.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone please explain how the long term markets
contracts work?

[/ QUOTE ]

At WSEX, you buy one or more contracts on a contestant, say Taylor at $28 per contract. At the conclusion of the show, the winner's contracts are worth $100, all others worth $0. So if you bought 10 Taylors at $28, and he wins, you would get $1000, for a net win of $720 on a bet/investment of $280.

Instead of holding to the bitter end, if you get cold feet later you can sell your contracts at the current sell price, which is $23 on Taylor right now. Yes, that means if you bought a Taylor contract right now then sold it 2 minutes later you just lost $5. There is only a limited number of contracts available at the current price before they will adjust the price upward (or downward on sales). So it is possible that if you tried to buy 10 Taylors now at $28 you might get just 6 contracts instead, and they would raise the price to $29 before any further trades.

It is also possible to sell contestants you don't own, i.e. short them like in the stock market. If you think Taylor is a big grey-haired buffoon of a loser you could sell a contract right now for $23. You would then be promising to fork over $100 at the end of the show if Taylor wins. $100 will be held in escrow in your account to cover this possibility. If Taylor wins, your net result would be a loss of $77, compared to your current profit of $23 if loses. If you are a big trader with shorts on multiple contestants, the escrow amount will be enough to cover your worst case scenario. E.g. if you short 10 grey hairs, 7 dumb blondes, and 5 Thank-kews, you would need just $1000 in escrow, not $2200 (they can't all win).

Good luck. Is there an AI division of GA?
Old 04-12-2006, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
10 grey hairs, 7 dumb blondes, 5 Thank-kews,

[/ QUOTE ]

and a partridge in a pear tree! LMAO.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:37 PM

Does anyone else think that Kat has or is really close to topping out her value? I have shares of her, Taylor, and The Pickler. Obviously, Taylor and Pickler have more additional value, but I am afraid that Kat might start to slide.

Anyone have any insight on this?
Old 04-12-2006, 03:47 PM

At this point, I think short-term trading is dead. The spreads at WSEX are just too high to expect to buy a loser now and sell them at a higher price later.

I dumped my Pickler yesterday. Bohemian Rhapsody was god-awful. More important than the individual song was the bad hair, weird clothes, mediocre voice, and lack of charisma. There's just no way that there's a 12% chance Picker wins the whole thing.

Kat is beautiful, and that will take her far, but her voice is not the greatest, and her performances are never all that entertaining or captivating. I think she finishes at #3, behind Chris and Taylor.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else think that Kat has or is really close to topping out her value? I have shares of her, Taylor, and The Pickler. Obviously, Taylor and Pickler have more additional value, but I am afraid that Kat might start to slide.

Anyone have any insight on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point I don't think Kat has a big upside. I think best case is 3rd place and 4th is more likely. She is pretty but her voice is just ok and she is duuuuulll. I cannot imagine Chris, Taylor, and Kellie not outlasting her. She may very well be in the bottom 3 again tonight (although I think the producers will find a way to get Chris in there to add drama to an otherwise boring elimination show).