Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Stevie got stung
Play above bankroll. Countdown to BUSTO 9 3.88%
0WNED by a fish 27 11.64%
Steve raises. Stingray reraises all-in. Steve times out. No disconnect protect 16 6.90%
Bad game selection 15 6.47%
Back to the kiddy pool 3 1.29%
The ocean is RIGGED 23 9.91%
YOU RAISE WITH THAT?! 1 0.43%
nh, fish 27 11.64%
Play bad, loose; whatever (Yvesaint style) 1 0.43%
Fold preflop 4 1.72%
LOL NATURE 20 8.62%
Double bellybuster 4 1.72%
He had a gutshot 42 18.10%
I'm probably behind. I call (Negreanu style) 2 0.86%
CROCODONK 4 1.72%
I had aces 0 0%
Graph plz 5 2.16%
HU FOR BANKROLLS 1 0.43%
Bad Beat Jackpot? 5 2.16%
Cooler 12 5.17%
I thought he was bluffing 10 4.31%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Official JULY Thread: General Discussion/etc

Every time I win big, I always lose big the day after. [censored] [censored].
Old 07-01-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if this is the place to post it, but -
I'm selling pieces of myself for the main event. I'm selling in 5% chunks for 1k a packet. PM me if interested.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm interested in selling pieces of myself for the main event. However, it won't be a direct percentage trade. For example, if you give me 5k, it doesn't mean you have 50% of my action in case I win. You would only get 25% of the prize money. The reason for this is if someone were to stake me 10k for the whole ME, I would get 50% and the staker would get 50%. Shares are in 1k package / 5% packages.

For those of you who are worried I will sell 100% [or even more] of myself to book a 10k+ win, I will not [especially when I've won/lost 10k+ in many poker sessions before. I just can't hold 10k of my own cash and use it as a tourney entry.]

Lastly, my credential is that I will not turn the stake into a loan if I get lucky and appear on ESPN.

PM me for winrates/limits played.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, that is a horribly staking deal (for people who stake you).

The going rate is somewhere around 75% for the backer and 25% for the player. If you got fully staked, you'd only get 25% of your winnings. If someone gives you $1,000, they should expect at least 7.5% of your winnings.

Taking less is just retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost all the stake agreements I know of are for 50%, meaning if you stake someone for their full buyin, you get 50% of their winnings after stakeback. So if they cash for $40K, you get your $10K back, plus 50% of the remaining $30K. I believe that is pretty standard.

The Stakeback part is the only thing Bobby didn't mention in his post. If he cashs for $15K, do you get your $1000 back plus 5% of the remaining $5K after Stakeback is paid, or do you just get 5% of $15K?

Obviously how good the player is should be a factor in how much of a percentage you want from them.

Mark
Old 07-01-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if this is the place to post it, but -
I'm selling pieces of myself for the main event. I'm selling in 5% chunks for 1k a packet. PM me if interested.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm interested in selling pieces of myself for the main event. However, it won't be a direct percentage trade. For example, if you give me 5k, it doesn't mean you have 50% of my action in case I win. You would only get 25% of the prize money. The reason for this is if someone were to stake me 10k for the whole ME, I would get 50% and the staker would get 50%. Shares are in 1k package / 5% packages.

For those of you who are worried I will sell 100% [or even more] of myself to book a 10k+ win, I will not [especially when I've won/lost 10k+ in many poker sessions before. I just can't hold 10k of my own cash and use it as a tourney entry.]

Lastly, my credential is that I will not turn the stake into a loan if I get lucky and appear on ESPN.

PM me for winrates/limits played.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, that is a horribly staking deal (for people who stake you).

The going rate is somewhere around 75% for the backer and 25% for the player. If you got fully staked, you'd only get 25% of your winnings. If someone gives you $1,000, they should expect at least 7.5% of your winnings.

Taking less is just retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost all the stake agreements I know of are for 50%, meaning if you stake someone for their full buyin, you get 50% of their winnings after stakeback. So if they cash for $40K, you get your $10K back, plus 50% of the remaining $30K. I believe that is pretty standard.

The Stakeback part is the only thing Bobby didn't mention in his post. If he cashs for $15K, do you get your $1000 back plus 5% of the remaining $5K after Stakeback is paid, or do you just get 5% of $15K?

Obviously how good the player is should be a factor in how much of a percentage you want from them.

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

Real good qs. And I have no idea, since I've never gotten backed for a tournament. And quite frankly, I'm not so turned onto them, but I believe given it's a large buyin/high variance thing that this makes sense (esp. after talking to some people)

seems redic. if I cash and people make less then what they bought for, so I suppose it should be you make what you put forth -> then extra back. That should be clarified. Also, (meteron) I have no idea what a "good" deal is, but I suspect my EV of this tournament quite a bit mroe then 20k, so in essence this is a good deal for any potential buyers of shares.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:33 PM

It is of my opinion that if you come to someone looking to get backed (i.e. asking an individual person or a forum) then you should be happy with selling people shares of yourself at 1:1 (i.e., I just need help covering the buy in, I would rather the tournament be 5k than 10k, so I'm selling 5% at 550 or 600 or something, basically face value + entry fee or small stock fee, etc.). However, if someone comes to you and says "oh man, let me get some of you for the main event, I can't play in it but I want a piece of some horse." At that point I would deem it completely necessary to charge market price, like 'name what you're worth in this event,' I'll pay necessary % of that.

Anyways, I'm not advocating people don't buy shares of these guys, because more than likely they certainly are 200 to 300% ROI in the ME, I have no idea maybe more. The fact is that with the high variance in something as big of a crapshoot as this, and with the surplus of poker skills (especially on a website like this) and the shortage of huge bankrolls (especially that can support 10k events and their varaince)- the EV of touranments and the lack of finding the long run in them makes it very difficult to gauge and make an investment profitable for twice the buy in cost.

Staking deals are between 80/20 and 65/35 nowadays, all in favor of the backer, and I have somewhere between a little and a lot of experience with them. You'd have to be a very well known pro, maybe with a few tournament wins or final tables to get 50/50.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:03 PM

AE I agree with you on this.

I've staked some guys before to play in tournaments where I have bought a piece of their action for < than 50/50 but I felt kind of dirty and only did it because it was a personal friend of mine.

If you approach someone to stake them you're investing in them, so you are doing it to get EV out of it. If someone comes to you and says stake me, they have to take the worst of it imo. This is because they have a greater need (reduce variance, whatever) and you have the supply.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:06 PM

there needs to be a staking 101 or something for some of you guys

the greater the # of tournaments you play, the better your deal will be

for something short term, expecting anything close to 50% is completely ridiculous
Old 07-01-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do my stated goal this year instead of failing and win 12000 buy ins for my regular game at the ME.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you Tecknowlody on stars if you dont mind me asking?
Old 07-01-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there needs to be a staking 101 or something for some of you guys

the greater the # of tournaments you play, the better your deal will be

for something short term, expecting anything close to 50% is completely ridiculous

[/ QUOTE ]

The funny part here is YOU need to be the kid sitting in row one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 07-01-2007, 04:13 PM

nvm aejones helped me
Old 07-01-2007, 04:36 PM

anything that's even close to 50/50 is likely going to be a long term deal with make up as well. short term deals with no makeup (ie one tourney) are going to be way more in favor of the backer.
Closed Thread