Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2006, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Verizon puts 71$ beat on a guy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i loved this, but yes, the guy is terrible at explaining. and, 'i'm gonna go post this on my blog' sounds absolutely pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

how well would you explain if you were dealing with these idiots?

[/ QUOTE ]

prob going about converting .002c into $.00002 then have them multiply that by the 35k

they obviously only understand numbers in terms of dollars

[/ QUOTE ]

This would absolutely not work. Remember we're talking about someone who is not really sure whether or not .002 cents is less than one cent. She would simply be like where are you getting .00002 cents from! It's .002 cents, not point .00002 cents! Obviously they cant understand that just because you're quoting a number less than a dollar you can't just say "cents" after whatever number you use and that will be alright. I can't even imagine what I would have done if I was in this guys position on the phone in the heat of the moment, but I think if anything could work this is it:

Caller: Ok, so get a piece of paper please.
Manager: ok
Caller: Now how do you write down 1 cent?
Manager: .01
Caller: Ok good, now write that down on your paper for me.
Manager: Ok
Caller: Ok, now since you say the rate is .002 of those cents per kilobyte, we're going to multiply, stay with me. Simply write down a multiplication symbol next to your .01, it's just like a little 'x'. Now next to that write down .002. Ok, now we're in agreement that what we have here is 1 cent times .002 and therefore is .002 cents right?
Manager: Yes
Caller: Ok great, now lets multiply all this by my usage at 35983, just put another x and then simply write '35983'.
Caller: Ok now put that whole thing into your calculator and hit the little button that has 2 lines running paral..err, one line on top of another line.
Caller: And what do we get.......

That's probly what I would have gone with. Although now that I think about it, this bitch was so stupid, she probably would have protested the .01 x .002. I imagine it would have gone down something like this "No, we can't multiply .002 times point zero one cents, because the rate is .002 cents, so 1 cent times point zero zero two is point zero zero two, multiply that all by 35983 and you get 71 dollars"

P.S. - Sometimes I get worried that I'm not all that much smarter than the average person and I'll never get a good job because "everybody" has a college degree these days. These videos provide great moments of clarity.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i loved this, but yes, the guy is terrible at explaining. and, 'i'm gonna go post this on my blog' sounds absolutely pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

how well would you explain if you were dealing with these idiots?

[/ QUOTE ]

prob going about converting .002c into $.00002 then have them multiply that by the 35k

they obviously only understand numbers in terms of dollars

[/ QUOTE ]

This would absolutely not work. Remember we're talking about someone who is not really sure whether or not .002 cents is less than one cent. She would simply be like where are you getting .00002 cents from! It's .002 cents, not point .00002 cents! Obviously they cant understand that just because you're quoting a number less than a dollar you can't just say "cents" after whatever number you use and that will be alright. I can't even imagine what I would have done if I was in this guys position on the phone in the heat of the moment, but I think if anything could work this is it:

Caller: Ok, so get a piece of paper please.
Manager: ok
Caller: Now how do you write down 1 cent?
Manager: .01
Caller: Ok good, now write that down on your paper for me.
Caller: Ok, now since you say the rate is .002 of those cents per kilobyte, we're going to multiply, stay with me. Simply write down a multiplication symbol next to your .01, it's just like a little 'x'. Now next to that write down .002. Ok, now we're in agreement that what we have here is 1 cent times .002 and therefore is .002 cents right?
Manager: Yes
Caller: Ok great, now lets multiply all this by my usage at 35983, just put another x and then simply write '35983'.
Caller: Ok now put that whole thing into your calculator and hit the little button that has 2 lines running paral..err, one line on top of another line.
Caller: And what do we get.......

That's probly what I would have gone with. Although now that I think about it, this bitch was so stupid, she probably would have protested the .01 x .002. I imagine it would have gone down something like this "No, we can't multiply .002 times point zero one cents, because the rate is .002 cents, so 1 cent times point zero zero two is point zero zero two, multiply that all by 35983 and you get 71 dollars"

P.S. - Sometimes I get worried that I'm not all that much smarter than the average person and I'll never get a good job because "everybody" has a college degree these days. These videos provide great moments of clarity.

[/ QUOTE ]

but .002*1=.002!
Old 12-10-2006, 07:35 PM

"well, im not a mathematician" was my fav. how the guy managed to refrain from profanities at that point is beyond me.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think the customer is annoying just pay the dam bill cheap ass, thats like half a buy in for me

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy did eventually pay saying he got $71 worth of entertainment out of the ordeal.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think the customer is annoying just pay the dam bill cheap ass, thats like half a buy in for me

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy did eventually pay saying he got $71 worth of entertainment out of the ordeal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Reading comprehension ftw. He said he was *thinking* about paying the $71 just because of the entertainment the whole thing has provided (that doesn't really make sense but is what he wrote). Update: link he got a full refund.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think he is a cheap ass for trying to correct the bill. At first it probably started out with him thinking he could correct the bill in like 10 minutes, making his hourly rate greater than 400 dollars, which is way higher than your hourly rate.

Then he continued on because he didn't want the customer service reps to not realize they were idiots. By the time the idiot girl rep is on, it seems as though she is trying to insinuate that the caller is the idiot. She says something like, everyone who has talked to you previously has said the same thing, it is you who can't understand, or some [censored] like that.

Also, I think at some point in his conversation, he should've said when you multiply the kilowatt used by the cost of each kilowatt in cents, the final result is cents. Something along those lines. I don't think he stressed the fact that their reuslt of 71.96 was in cents.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:18 PM

If you read his blog, you're notice there was another incident with Verizon on this same issue before his. I'm convinced Verizon is intentionally trying to mislead the customers who have been smart enough to realize the discrepancy to make more money. I bet many many customers have been screwed by this and don't even know it! And when they call Verizon, they'll get the same treatment again.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:55 PM

lmao you can hear her typing stuff in on her calc when the dudes like "if your rate is $0.01 and you had 100 how much would my bill be?"
Old 12-10-2006, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lmao you can hear her typing stuff in on her calc when the dudes like "if your rate is $0.01 and you had 100 how much would my bill be?"

[/ QUOTE ]

The amazing part is that it wasn't really a lack of mathematical/arithmetic skills on their part as much as a basic lack of comprehension of the concept of .002 cents. It's like they were only saying that $.002 was equal to .002 cents because when they read it out load to themselves in both cases they'd say "point oh oh two cents."
Old 12-10-2006, 11:30 PM

This whole issue could have been avoided if they just outsourced their telephone support to India like every other company. I'm sure habib wouldn't have this tough of a time understanding basic arithmetic, and they'd pay him a hell of a lot less.