Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Re: **Official Madden 08 Thread**

Let me tell you all something about Madden, especially to those who don't understand why there is this thing called Madden nation - tons of diehard Madden fans.

It's scarily related to poker. You can make sick plays, be able to (literally now with the new 'Smart QB, linemen, safety etc) READ your opponents plays, and still get totally [censored] and lose the game. By the same coin, you can take down much more skilled opponents. My friends and I call it the 'Madden [censored]'.

Now while this Madden [censored] does indeed exist, it's inserted in the game to keep it close and interesting. I'm not saying it happens during every game, I tested this with my friend who had never played the game before, and I put up 10 touchdowns in the first half. But when both players are playing well, sometimes the game decision appears to come down to sheer fate. What does that remind us of? Sports maybe? How else could the Red Sox be down 3 games to the Yanks and come back to win 4 straight games and take the series? How else could [insert other miraculous sporting event here]??? I mean seriously how else could [yeah yeah] [censored] happen in a million years?

The magic of games/sports... That's [censored] how. Madden captures that magic baby! You know it does! Even though it looks repititious (not really but I could understand why some would think so), every game of Madden is so different, it's crazy. If you don't believe me, go to practice (or a real game if you want, I don't give a [censored]), and run the same inside handoff over and over again. Notice the results:

Sometimes the D will get a good jump and sack the QB before he can even pass the ball off
Sometimes the offensive line becomes moses for the HB
Sometimes you can highlight stick passed two hitsticking defenders
Sometimes the hitsticking defenders force a fumble (this happens like every play right?)
Sometimes you get like 2 yards

There's different outcomes with the same play... Like always. Your skills at reading the D, picking the right play, timing with actually executing the plays, plus a little bit of luck ALL steer the player to victory or defeat.

Being able to consistently win in a variable game is what makes a good poker player, as well as Madden. You exert your skill where you have an edge, and hope to run well... Which leads me to my next topic:

LETS GET THE DAMN 2P2 TOURNEY SETUP. Also, I am accepting $10 challanges on stars and FTP. Gamertag is Killerwa1ski.

Sorry if this was kind of long, and unorganized... But the bitching about the new game not being the absolute perfect, realistic, accurate game is played out. Madden is what it is - fun, variable depth football madness.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:18 AM

Oh and with the fumble issue... Ummm what? I've played about 4-5 Single player games, as well as ~8 online games, and have barely fumbled or received fumbles. I've fumbled a KR once, when I had my onside return team out, audibled to a deep kick return, and my man fumbled when he got hit. Standard Madden [censored], but that's what I get for not having a stronger runner returning the football.

And I think I read someone complaining about his QB fumbling when he tries to run with the ball and gets hit? Uhhh yeah, that's kind of the idea. Ya know?
Old 08-17-2007, 01:23 AM

All that Madden defending aside. I absolutely HATE the announcer. I want John Madden himself making comments about the plays.

"Watch him get set up here, and BOOM! takes him down to the turf."
Old 08-17-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i had a play where there was 5 or 6 fumbles in 1 play today

[/ QUOTE ]

thats cuz you got fat linemen carrying the ball after the first one. Also when you pick up fumbles surounded by other players you won't have a change to tuck the ball away before you are hit...just because you are carrying the ball doesn't mean its secure. Thats why most players will just dive on the ball unless they can easily scoop and score.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i had a play where there was 5 or 6 fumbles in 1 play today

[/ QUOTE ]

thats cuz you got fat linemen carrying the ball after the first one. Also when you pick up fumbles surounded by other players you won't have a change to tuck the ball away before you are hit...just because you are carrying the ball doesn't mean its secure. Thats why most players will just dive on the ball unless they can easily scoop and score.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. It's not just random fumbling most of the time.

It says on one of the loading screens that the best defense against a "stiff arm back" is to strip the ball. Since strip ball is now the A button, I'm sure people are accidently using it quite often and then becoming amazed when either A) The ball-stripping defender blows the tackle or B) The ball magically comes loose.

And yes, using jukes/spins/stiffs/highlight stick makes you more liable to fumble. This is old news. The highlightstick : fumbling ratio seems to be on an even keel with the last 2 years IMO.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:05 AM

My Franchise - Settings - Game Settings - AI for Madden sliders.

Passing is hard. You actually need to know the defenses, be able to tell what defense they're playing, and exploit whatever they're using.

It's also about knowing your plays and which routes complement each other. You need to know why your #1 WR is running a short hitch, you need to know the timing of it, and you need to know how defenses will react to it.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:14 AM

Isn't that what football should be. In some of the other versions it was way too easy. Yesterday, franchise, I picked 3 TDs from Eli. That's a little too rediculous, even for Eli.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:42 AM

Yeah, I think picks from the user can be a bit much, but overall I'm loving this game.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:46 AM

It's really well done, but they need to adjust settings. I don't know if they'll do it officially but I hope they do ala a PC Game.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:47 AM

what do you mean? you can adjust sliders in game settings > a.i.