Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Chimpanzee Fight Question From El Diablo

[ QUOTE ]
lol, this thread does an excellent job of showing who the MMA fan boys are.

I honestly can't believe anyone would pick the human. The human ego never ceases to amaze me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the MMA fighters would stand a chance without special training. But given time to study and develop a chimp-fighting system that would exploit the chimp's weaknesses, I think humans could quickly get the upper hand in this contest. While strong and agile, chimps must be very predictable and would not be able to adapt well at all.

It's like when Kasparov lost to deep blue, even he admitted there were probably 10ish much lower ranked players who specialized in beating computers that probably could have won. While I don't think there are any human fighters who are just so good that they could naturally beat a chimp, I'm sure that with time, human ingenuity applied directly to the problem of "how to kill a chimp with your bare hands" would win out.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But in any fight between a chimp and a human, the chimp will be handicapped by its lack of awareness about what is going on

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Even a house cat or a well behaved dog will fake a bite if you move suddenly toward it. These are animmals that have been bread NOT to react this way toward humans for a couple thousand years. The Chimpanzee's instincts are not going to be "when something unexpected and dangerous occurs, act confused". They are going to be to lash out fight back or run. Instincts are faster than thought.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:37 PM

Yes, you can defend the choke. But it involves a lot of subtle techniques and maneuvering that you are trained in. You know exactly what to do to give yourself a bit more time and how to start working on breaking it. Do you think if you choked someone twice as strong as you that had never been choked before he would have any chance at all of getting out? A previous post argued that a chimp will not be more than 2 or 3 times the strength of a heavyweight UFC fighter.

An untrained person or chimp is not going to have the poise to find where the grip is locked and work on that in the precious seconds they have. They're going to panic, struggle, and flail.

As for how hard it is to grapevine them and how effective the actual choke would be on a chimp, that's pretty hard to judge.

Some other things:
- A 250lb UFC fighter's strikes are going to have more force than a 100lb chimp's. There's more technique to punching/kicking than you think. The fighter is able to leverage his entire body's strength and weight into the strike. A chimp will just sort of swing their arms, which aren't even that heavy.

- The idea of ripping body parts off is ridiculous. The chimps recorded a 1200lb pull or whatever by pushing against the wall with their legs and using their whole body (also saying each arm can do 1000lb of force at any angle is ridiculous). They'll never get this ideal leverage situation in a fight. If they pull your arm, you'll just fall over or something.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think you are grossly exaggerating how strong a chimp is / how easy it is to rip someones limbs off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Baboons rip dogs legs off in Africa. Large dogs bred for work on a far (ie defening cattle and hunting). Baboons are smaller than chimps.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An untrained person or chimp is not going to have the poise to find where the grip is locked and work on that in the precious seconds they have. They're going to panic, struggle, and flail.

[/ QUOTE ]

The chimp may have a lot more time than that if it has a heavily muscled/protected neck that is not like a human's. Do they? I don't know but it wouldn't be surprising if they do.

A chimp, if it panics, may also bite. I doubt a human's grip could prevent the chimp from squirming enough to get a good bite in, and a good ripping bite on the forearm or hand or shoulder would likely be a hold breaker. Add the serious teeth to the greater muscular strength to having four hands versus two hands, and it strikes me as doubtful that a human could contain a chimp in a choke hold or in any wrestling hold for that matter.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:36 AM

chuck liddel would smoke a chimp. the chimp would not be able to grapple or take chuck down and the chimp would get ktfo! now a grappling ufc champ like hughes would have major problems with the chimps strength and teeth. but chuck would take the poor little things head off.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
chuck liddel would smoke a chimp. the chimp would not be able to grapple or take chuck down and the chimp would get ktfo! now a grappling ufc champ like hughes would have major problems with the chimps strength and teeth. but chuck would take the poor little things head off.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you've watched some UFC guys in some fights. But how many chimps have you watched in some fights?
Old 12-01-2006, 05:07 AM

OK. At first I thought the UFC fighter would win hands down, but after reading some responses in the thread and reading several articles on the internet I changed my tune. In short, I think the chimp wins quite easily most of the time. I posed this question in my original response on page 1 and it seems silly to me now but.....

For those of you who think the UFC fighter wins easily by rear naked choke or whatever you're claiming against the chimp: How many of you think that the top level human fighters can beat down a full grown, male gorilla? Do you still think you can work submissions against the gorilla? Can it be knocked out in hand to hand combat? Some of you are saying that strength is neutralized by these BJJ moves, but at what point does technique give way to plain brute force. I've never wrestled with a mean 500lb gorilla but I find it hard to believe that you are choking or breaking any part of its body 1 on 1. Hijack over.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:16 AM

If a chimp is only ten times stronger than the average man than he is still at a huge disadvantage against chuck norris.

anyways, I think a fighting system designed to kill chimps might push the edge in the humans favor. Im pretty sure the chimp is going to go for the same type of attack everytime, kind of jumping on the human in an attempt to take them down. I think that there would be a way to exploit this possibly by looking at the openings the chimp gives when he jumps and looking for strikes or possibly being able to parry the chimp and catch them in some sort of hold/choke.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:37 AM

people talking about putting chimps in chokeholds is just bad.

If a human was going to defeat a chimp, a chokehold is obviously not going to be the best shot