Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2006, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Blogs: What do you read?

[ QUOTE ]
Paul Kedrosky's Infectious Greed: Paul Kedrosky works in venture capital and writes a bunch of short thoughts about current events in business every day. Pretty interesting stuff, from a perspective that you don't often get in mainstream media.

[/ QUOTE ]

This blog had an amazing video from a YouTube founder about 3 or 4 days ago.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:28 PM

I've recently started reading the daily wtf

Subject matter is ridiculous IT projects that people have been a part of.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:25 PM

I don't think the nomenclature is really important here, but a mod is free to change the title to get rid of the word "blog" if it seems more accurate to others.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've recently started reading the daily wtf

Subject matter is ridiculous IT projects that people have been a part of.

[/ QUOTE ]

This site it hilarious. I could contribute a couple of doosies. But it would take a lot of work to write them up well, and I'm a little fuzzy on the details as it's been a while.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:49 PM

Quarterly update:

I was talking with some friends last night about what blogs we read for what topics and it got me thinking about updating my feeds, as well as this thread. Since my original list my daily reading has changed quite a bit. I think reading blogs is a lot like reading this forum, where the longer you do it the more you feel comfortable reading. When I first made this thread I was feeling like there was a little too much to read every day, but I've since added a lot more over the last three months and gotten better at quickly figuring out what is important or relevant to me.

My previous list (from the OP):
Blog Maverick, Deadspin, Gawker, Gizmodo, Gothamist, Krusher's blog, Kissing Suzy Kolber, Paul Kedrosky's Infectious Greed, The Superficial, What Would Tyler Durden Do

Since the OP I've gotten my feeds more organized by using Google Reader's tagging feature. It makes for a much better reading experience when you can separate posts about Anna Nicole Smith's extra marital affairs and Michigan's new recruiting class. Feeds can be under multiple categories, that is not a mistake.

Business:
Blog Maverick: From old list.
Feld Thoughts: venture capital blog recommended by El Diablo.
Paul Kedrosky's Infectious Greed: From old list.
Redeye VC: Venture capital blog recommended by El Diablo.
Valleywag: Tech industry/Sillicon Valley gossip blog recommended in this thread and by scrub.
Venture Beat: Venture capital news blog recommended by El Diablo.
Venture Blog: Venture capital news blog recommended by El Diablo. I don't like the writing on this one so much, although it's okay, I mostly like the sidebar links to tons of other VC blogs that I don't read every day but do link to keep track of.

Friends (no links because I haven't asked them if they'd like to be publicized):
Dids' blog:I kept asking Dids questions about cooking and he kept pointing me to answers on his blog so eventually I just started reading it. Good marketing, Dids. He makes cool food and takes pictures. It's a pretty good site for a novice chef, such as myself, that's just trying to make easy stuff for dinner that's tasty.
bdk3clash's shared feed: Google Reader lets you tag posts to be shared and dumps them into their own separate feed that people cal subscribe to. I don't use it as much as I'd like to because I tend to just forget it's there, it's a very cool feature though. I won't share Brad's because I haven't asked him about it, but you can see mine here to get an idea of what it's like.
nolanfan34's blog: He writes about going to Home Depot and picking out grave sites and other things old people in suburbia do.

Humor:
Elaine Vigneault: Famous as Elainemonster here in OOT. Despite the fact that she seems to believe I hate her, I really do get a kick out of reading this sometimes.
Overheard in New York: Short pieces of funny conversations overheard in New York City. I believe this one was recommended by Mason55.
The Leveraged Sellout: Satirical blog making fun of people in the finance in New York. Recommended by edtost (not in this thread).
The Superficial: From old list.
Valleywag: Tech industry/Sillicon Valley gossip blog recommended in this thread and by scrub.
What would Tyler Durden Do:[/b] From old list.

NYC:
Gothamist: From old list.
Curbed: NYC real estate/neighborhood news. I think someone recommended this in the thread, although I only recently added it.

Sports:
Blog Maverick: From old list.
Deadspin: From old list.
Kissing Suzy Kolber: From old list.
Michigan Zone: Michigan University football news.
With Leather: Sports blog that makes fun of everyone. Pretty similar writing to The Superficial.

Tech:
Crunch Gear: Tech gadget blog that replaced Gizmodo because I like the writing and volume of posts better.
GigaOm: Gadget and tech news blog that was mentioned in this thread.

Changes since OP:
-Added a bunch of venture/tech business blogs as I've gotten more into the industry and it's become more relevant to me.
-Cut out Krusher's blog due to infrequent posting and the fact that it was generally lame and depressing.
-Started reading some friend's blog/feeds
-Took a few suggestions from this thread/other friends to extend topics I already read about for the most part.

What are you guys reading these days? Feel free to share your shared items url if you're using Google Reader. You can find it by clicking on the shared items link near the top right of the page. In case you missed mine above, you can find it here.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:23 PM

I'd like to add some good economics type of blogs.

http://www.freakonomics.com/blog/

and

http://www.thesportseconomist.com/

and another that is good for economic podcasts: http://www.econtalk.org/ where there is a podcast by Michael Lewis (titled Michael Lewis on the Hidden Economics of Baseball and Football) author of "Moneyball" and "The Blind Side"
Old 02-10-2007, 02:48 PM

The Mark Cuban blog is the s. I would also add the Peter King "monday morning quarterback" during the NFL season. Also Left out (I think) were the Sports guys articles on Page 2 of ESPN. Boston Biased but always a great read. Buster Olneys ESPN blog is good.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:53 PM

Awesome thread. I will add:

Barstool sports - Boston sports (women) blog
Old 02-10-2007, 02:54 PM

http://poshmum.blogspot.com/ : an absolutely hilarious blog written by an englishwoman constantly feeling at odds with the superficiality of of the culture in which she lives. full of funny british slang and a very dry, cruel sense of humor, this blog is worth checking every day for an update.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:42 PM

bump?

after all the good replies the first time around you guys must have some more interesting stuff to read.

italianfx, good sports/econ links.

uglyowl & memoryzero, if i didn't hate everything about boston those might be interesting reads.

fluff, that british woman's blog is painfully terrible.