Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Ultimate Frisbee

Dude, ultimate under the lights is AWESOME.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think what I really want to say though is that the incentives to really play Ultimate are so limited that it doesn't attract great athletes. So the talent pool is of average athletic ability and thus things like height and leaping ability make a disproportionate impact.

[/ QUOTE ]

this has been my experience. in high school, the only kids that played Ultimate were the ones that got cut from the "real" varsity sports. at college, the only kids playing Ultimate are the ones that would get laughed off the basketball court. It's the truth, but since Ultimate players are so elitist/cliquey, of course I'll get flamed for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Solid, not even the real elite, college ultimate players are usually high school athletes from other sports that were all-state level and could be varsity athletes in those sports if they wanted to.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

once you get a game with a bunch of skilled players, the throws won't be just floating around really high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize that. I have a few friends on college ultimate teams and whatnot. I'm just saying that the floater to the guy with 6 inches on everyone is unstoppable.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're wrong (video link)

[/ QUOTE ]

1. That throw was terrible.
2. Nord still catches it 9 times out of 10.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think what I really want to say though is that the incentives to really play Ultimate are so limited that it doesn't attract great athletes. So the talent pool is of average athletic ability and thus things like height and leaping ability make a disproportionate impact.

[/ QUOTE ]

this has been my experience. in high school, the only kids that played Ultimate were the ones that got cut from the "real" varsity sports. at college, the only kids playing Ultimate are the ones that would get laughed off the basketball court. It's the truth, but since Ultimate players are so elitist/cliquey, of course I'll get flamed for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Solid, not even the real elite, college ultimate players are usually high school athletes from other sports that were all-state level and could be varsity athletes in those sports if they wanted to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't totally agree with this. I guess it depends on what you mean by 'varsity athletes', if you mean major D-I level basketball or Football, there are very few ultimate players on that level (in the last 10-15 years, there have probably been less than 25 - this is like the Damien Scott/Beau/Brian Harriford/Eric Lonsdorf/Dan Eisenberg (who IIRC played varsity soccer at Stanford) level of athlete) but then there are also your Alex Nord's of the world whose physical skill set is so perfectly suited to ultimate that they are more "athletic" in ultimate then they would be in any other sport.

If you mean "on the varsity team" or a contributing player at the DII-midmajor level, than absolutely many top college players are on that plane. I think you are underestimating the athletic differences between a great HS/solid mid-level college player and the true DI athlete though.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't totally agree with this. I guess it depends on what you mean by 'varsity athletes', if you mean major D-I level basketball or Football, there are very few ultimate players on that level (in the last 10-15 years, there have probably been less than 25 - this is like the Damien Scott/Beau/Brian Harriford/Eric Lonsdorf/Dan Eisenberg (who IIRC played varsity soccer at Stanford) level of athlete) but then there are also your Alex Nord's of the world whose physical skill set is so perfectly suited to ultimate that they are more "athletic" in ultimate then they would be in any other sport.

If you mean "on the varsity team" or a contributing player at the DII-midmajor level, than absolutely many top college players are on that plane. I think you are underestimating the athletic differences between a great HS/solid mid-level college player and the true DI athlete though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are football and basketball the only varsity sports?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Are football and basketball the only varsity sports?

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken, but I think when we're talking about 'athletes' that's kind of what we mean, with soccer, track and perhaps baseball probably thrown in as well.

And I'm not knocking the athleticism in ultimate at all, as it's grown in leaps and bounds since I started playing, it's just that the truly 'freaky' athlete still does not play ultimate yet.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I got my first callahan and my first greatest (thrown for a score, no less) this year, so i'm pretty happy about those.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone please explain what these are.

There's a group at my work that goes out and plays twice a week. I'll go play about every other week. The talent ranges from awful to pretty good, I fall somewhere in the middle, I never played the game until I started working full time. Maybe 10% of the players played competitive Ultimate, but most are new. So there's just a lot of running around and chucking the frisbee about. It's pretty ugly, but a lot of fun.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I got my first callahan and my first greatest (thrown for a score, no less) this year, so i'm pretty happy about those.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone please explain what these are.

There's a group at my work that goes out and plays twice a week. I'll go play about every other week. The talent ranges from awful to pretty good, I fall somewhere in the middle, I never played the game until I started working full time. Maybe 10% of the players played competitive Ultimate, but most are new. So there's just a lot of running around and chucking the frisbee about. It's pretty ugly, but a lot of fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

A callahan is when you're the defense and you catch the offense's throw in the endzone to score.

A greatest is when you jump from the field of play, grab a disc that's far enough outside the field that you can't land in bounds, and throw the disc to a teamate before you hit the ground.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:57 PM

Ultimate is one of those sports that white kids latch on to because the black kids haven't started playing and dominating yet. It's the only "sport" where some unathletic hippy can still reach the pinnacle.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:06 PM

lol white kids can't dominate other sports? Agree with the second sentence though.