Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: For one night
Sloane 38 41.76%
Tori 53 58.24%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Those Darned Politics Mods!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Prior to you banning me yesterday, is the word "troll" or "trolling" used about me in my user notes? I have never received such a warning.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Warned for trolling 4-4-07 iron

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for pointing out that my user notes are incorrect.

This is the PM I received from iron81 on 4-4-07, subject "Gold stars", in response to my handing out "Gold Stars for Liberty" ( <font color="orange">*</font> ) to posters who do more for libertarianism by arguing against it than most of us manage to do by arguing for it:

"Please stop doing that. I know you lack patience for those who don't understand AC, but they don't deserve to be mocked."

Since this is not a warning, much less a warning for trolling, please fix my user notes.

Thanks.

edit to add: Just to avoid the claim that I somehow changed something, this is the rest of the PM, which had nothing to the with iron's request for me to stop handing out gold stars, but rather his own personal problems with AC:

"Also, I'll point out that just because someone is arguing a position that doesn't reflect idealized AC dosen't mean its a strawman argument. Personally, I think the greatest difficulty with AC is the Law of Unintended Consequences and opinsions that you think are uninformed are actually the poster's opinion of what will happen if AC were attempted in the real world."
Old 04-27-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Prior to you banning me yesterday, is the word "troll" or "trolling" used about me in my user notes? I have never received such a warning.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Warned for trolling 4-4-07 iron

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for pointing out that my user notes are incorrect.

This is the PM I received from iron81 on 4-4-07, subject "Gold stars", in response to my handing out "Gold Stars for Liberty" ( <font color="orange">*</font> ) to posters who do more for libertarianism by arguing against it than most of us manage to do by arguing for it:

"Please stop doing that. I know you lack patience for those who don't understand AC, but they don't deserve to be mocked."

Since this is not a warning, much less a warning for trolling, please fix my user notes.

Thanks.

edit to add: Just to avoid the claim that I somehow changed something, this is the rest of the PM, which had nothing to the with iron's request for me to stop handing out gold stars, but rather his own personal problems with AC:

"Also, I'll point out that just because someone is arguing a position that doesn't reflect idealized AC dosen't mean its a strawman argument. Personally, I think the greatest difficulty with AC is the Law of Unintended Consequences and opinsions that you think are uninformed are actually the poster's opinion of what will happen if AC were attempted in the real world."

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could post all your user notes so I could utterly refute what you're saying, but, unfortunately, I cannot. Therefore I have no choice but to be done with this discussion, as it is serving no purpose. You can disbelieve me, I don't care, any mod or admin can see that I'm telling the truth. If you continue to troll in politics, you will be banned, end of story, good night.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can you point out what the personal attack was that borodog made?

[/ QUOTE ]

The picture speaks for itself.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, so I'm looking at the picture, we got that he asserts a lot, assumes his conclusions, and changes the defintions of words to try to win a debate. That's all I've got. Of these, which ones were personal attacks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain to me how that post by Borodog was meant, in any way to further any sort of discussion, and was not meant to merely piss of Steven Bickford. Its the very definition of trolling. In hindsight, I should have given a longer ban. I have nothing more to say on this matter.

[/ QUOTE ]
So...are you not going with what you just said before, that it was a personal attack?
Old 04-27-2007, 12:18 AM

lol. I have no doubt my user notes say things about personal attacks and other things. I got a * in OOT. I lose my temper and make personal attacks. But a personal attack is not trolling. Pointing out the legitimate flaws in someone's argument in a humorous way, even if it might piss them off, is not trolling. You don't even know what trolling is. Again:

[ QUOTE ]
a troll is someone who intentionally posts derogatory or otherwise inflammatory messages about sensitive topics in an established online community such as an online discussion forum to bait users into responding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is Steven Bickford's repetitive use of fallacious arguments a "sensitive topic"? His OP was the troll, and any competent mod could see that. The whole purpose was to post an "inflammatory message about a sensitive topic in an established online community (of anarchocapitalists, whether you like it or not), to wit the Politics discussion forum, to bait users into responding. Then I responded by pointing out his fallacies and you call *me* the troll. Lol.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Steven Bickford's repetitive use of fallacious arguments a "sensitive topic"? His OP was the troll, and any competent mod could see that.

[/ QUOTE ]

His OP was similar to OPs like "Do you trust the government?" etc.. It is legitimate to bring whatever facts you yourself find as relevant into the debate. And don't say that it has been discussed over and over as what has happened lately in Somalia is completely different from what happened earlier, now they actually had a functioning government for a short while and things immediately improved, the newest developments are very interesting. You do not have the monopoly on deciding if Somalia is relevant wrt to AC or not.

They also have near unlimited access to capital as long as they are able to justify their use, just like me or you, there are very few places on earth that lack access to capital today, only people that lack the ability to aquire it.

That you believe that people holding an opinion contrary to you have bad intentions and/or are stupid does not necessarily make it so. You are not a messiah chosen by god and thus know every right and wrong.

P.S. For what it is worth I don't think Somalia is very relevant as they have very different non-governmental structures than you find in the US, I just don't buy that nothing can be learned from the situation there.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:59 AM

Sure, that OP wasn't a troll at all:

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps some of our resident ACists will go join the fight for this noble cause.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Right.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps some of our resident ACists will go join the fight for this noble cause.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Right.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a rude way of making his point, I agree. I don't think it was intended to just provoke you AC'ists though, he wanted to argue that government is needed.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Right.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a rude way of making his point, I agree. I don't think it was intended to just provoke you AC'ists though

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. Sure. You obviously haven't read many Bickford posts, have you?

[ QUOTE ]
, he wanted to argue that government is needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he wanted to do that he would have made an argument.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not, or at least I haven't noticed. I do not take part in many of the AC-threads.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not, or at least I haven't noticed. I do not take part in many of the AC-threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then perhaps you shouldn't jump on his bandwagon so quickly. Why don't you peruse his gems on "AC won't work because we need leaders like George W. Bush with the Moral Clarity to tell us what to do" and "Murdering children in ACland", or just search his 51 posts for the word "Somalia."
Closed Thread