Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2006, 07:38 PM

Default Re: best drummer of all time

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow..... I hate to say it but it should be on the list. Great call!

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2006, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bill Bruford deserves to be mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

No he doesn't. Work with him on a Yes album like I did and you will change your mind. We had to quantize his MIDI kit and re-record his cymbals using a session musician so his ego wasn't hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was during that terrible Union album I guess?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, forgive me for I have sinned.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always liked this Buddy Rich/Jerry Lewis drum duet.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X_giGBLeEiA

[/ QUOTE ]

My mother showed me that when I was a little by, I then played drums for the next 12 years trying to be 1/2 Rich, 1/2 Carmine Apiece (Vanilla Fudge & Ozzy Osborn's band)

Old 10-11-2006, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not trying to be harsh...but do people really think Carter Beauford is a great drummer, or is DMB the only band from which they know the name of the drummer? I don't see him as anything special at all...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to be harsh, but that's a stupid thing to say. I doubt Drum and Modern Drummer have had him on their covers multiple times because he's the only drummer they know the name of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being on the cover of a magazine is not a sign of greatness...or even decentness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. However, I really doubt that Drum and Modern Drummer have a lot of readers who would appreciate seeing a hack on the cover just because he's well known. They put him on because he's good. Regardless, you're still wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

How am I wrong? All I said was that I do not see him as being anything special, which is true because I do not...and neither do all but 2 people in this thread so far.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not trying to be harsh...but do people really think Carter Beauford is a great drummer, or is DMB the only band from which they know the name of the drummer? I don't see him as anything special at all...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to be harsh, but that's a stupid thing to say. I doubt Drum and Modern Drummer have had him on their covers multiple times because he's the only drummer they know the name of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being on the cover of a magazine is not a sign of greatness...or even decentness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. However, I really doubt that Drum and Modern Drummer have a lot of readers who would appreciate seeing a hack on the cover just because he's well known. They put him on because he's good. Regardless, you're still wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

How am I wrong? All I said was that I do not see him as being anything special, which is true because I do not...and neither do all but 2 people in this thread so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh. I think in most drum circles (hehe) he's considered much better than average. Your statement about people only mentioning because he's in DMB was just stupid.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:22 PM

I didn't read the whole thread but I'm guessing no one gave respect to Max Weinberg.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Breuford is an amazing drummer. Not the best ever, but really, really good.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh. I think in most drum circles (hehe) he's considered much better than average. Your statement about people only mentioning because he's in DMB was just stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't a statement...it was a question.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Breuford is an amazing drummer. Not the best ever, but really, really good.

[/ QUOTE ]

his timing was bad, sorry. Spend a few days with him in a recording studio and you will agree.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:29 PM

I thought I posted this earlier in the day but must have forgotten. While he won't make a best of all time list, Jim Gordon could probably be in the top 10 rock drummers ever. Hugely undervalued session guy, killer right hand, and some pretty creative stuff when in a 'restrictive' blues tune. Listen to Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad (especially the live version from Derek and the Dominoes in Concert), and Have You Ever Loved a Woman for some good stuff with Clapton, plus the Steely Dan, Harrison, Delaney & Bonnie gigs.

I also think someone has to be high if they think Bonham was better at 'changing gears' than Peart.