Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Comment thread for abortion debate: Conditional viewpoint

Definition of Life.

From Wikipedia, but pretty much goes along with my education in biology.

"Life is a condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally."

A fetus surely grows.

A fetus can adapt. Let's say the mother drinks alcohol. In that case, the fetus may internally develop to compensate for alcohol in the fetal environment. On the other hand, a fetus may respond to external stimuli such as music. Let's say yes to adaptation.

A fetus may be able to reproduce, but ONLY IF IT is BORN, develops to the point of puberty, and engages in reproductive activity. So, maybe yes for reproduction.

As for fetal metabolism, it looks like the "mother" is doing most or all of metabolic work. I guess this may depend on the stage of fetal development. The fetal metabolism is entirely intertwined with that of the mother, such as blood flow, waste removal, glucose levels, and on and on... but, whose metabolism is it?

Old 04-10-2007, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Comment thread for abortion debate

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I just want to jump in here and say that one could be completely against all abortions in all cases (or almost all cases, etc) and also be against the state being involved in any way.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's very true, but also hard to logistically apply, unless maybe you're an AC'ist?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's hard about it? There's some external force that compells you to interfer with other people?

[/ QUOTE ]

You completely misinterpreted my OP.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Comment thread for abortion debate

All,

Just wanted to apologize to Shake and all the participants in this thread for my abrupt absence from the forum(and hence the debate). Ive been getting ready to leave on deployment and didnt have time nor the inclination to spend posting on 2p2. After a while I did have some time, but then I saw all the stuff that was happening in the forum, and I sort of lost any desire to post here for the most part. At any rate, my apologies once again, and greetings from The Kingdom of Bahrain!!