Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Als Spracht Zarathustra.......

So it is possible to acheive peace through diplomacy and treaties. And here I thought that we had to resort to war to reclaim stolen property. Techincally North Korea and South Korea signed a peace treaty. So what is your reasoning for invading North Korea?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So it is possible to acheive peace through diplomacy and treaties.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.....

[ QUOTE ]
Techincally North Korea and South Korea signed a peace treaty.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have they signed a peace treaty? If they have it is news to me.....

[ QUOTE ]
So what is your reasoning for invading North Korea?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because legaly the USA and North Korea are still at war... North Korea refused to sign a peace treaty when the cease fire was declared in the 1950s.

North Korea has threaten to sell nuclear weapons so if they sell a nuke to Al Qaeda then the USA could/should turn North Korea into glass....
Old 10-11-2007, 11:02 PM

Default Pax Romana

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it's true Mossadegh nationalized the oil. But is that a reason to overthrow their government?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, payback is a bitch.
Steal from us and I smack you in the nose and install the Shah. At this point, there was a clean slate...

[ QUOTE ]
and something that happened in the Eisenhower Administration over 50 years ago as a justification to bomb them and take their oil.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep....if you steal my car there is no statute of limitations where I lose ownership and the thief gets to assume ownership. Besides the Saudis finance Al Qaeda with the oil so I say lets take the oil back and the Saudis can go back to the desert murdering and robbing people to scatch a living...

[ QUOTE ]
By involvement I mean occupation of their land. Have you read Osama bin Laden's fatwa?

[/ QUOTE ]
Bin Laden is one citizen of Saudia Arabia.
Since when can one citizen without any formal power veto a diplomatic relationship between two sovereign nations? If he wants to bitch, then he needs to bitch to the Saudi King. The USA was invited on Saudi land..... End-ofo-Story.

[ QUOTE ]
You say it's ok for us to kill people who are coming into our homes, so why isn't it for them?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because we were invited.
Remind me never to except an invitation to your home. You will invite me inside and then you will yell "Allabu Akbar" and try to cut my head off. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
But you don't want to handle anything diplomatically do you?

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course I do.
But when one side uses force or the threat of force then the game is on.....

[ QUOTE ]
Just bomb them all and take all of their oil. That'll solve everything.

[/ QUOTE ]
That will reduce our problems by about 80%.
Even during the Roman Empire's Pax Romana they had to deal with some foreign problems. The difference was the ancient Romans knew how to nip problems in the bud......and when later emperors allowed transgressions to go unchallenged Alaric of the Visigoths came and sacked Rome.... Rome recovered temporarily then the barbaraian tribes started coming on strong....and wiped them out....
Old 10-11-2007, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Civilizations that have no central govts don't last long...

[/ QUOTE ]
Define "long".
Old 10-12-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Re: What has influenced you to your current position in politics.

[ QUOTE ]
How have you come to acquire the opinions that you currently have?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was completely uninterested in politics until I started reading Ayn Rand.

After reading The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged (still two of my all-time favorite books), I started reading other libertarians (Mises, Rothbard, Hayek, etc).
At some point I became convinced that the logical result of libertarian principles was anarchism, so I became an anarchist. Since that time, I have been steadily drifting left-ward and have become interested in other anarchist writers and variants of anarchism (in addition to the anarcho-capitalism that I began with).
Old 10-12-2007, 03:09 AM

I came into my beliefs kind of earnestly in high school by rebelling against religion. I sort of made my peace with the existence of organized religion in college but I have remained on the left (and will). I read a lot of books that influenced my thinking (mostly in high school):

The Autobiography of Malcolm X
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Conscience of a Liberal by Paul Wellstone
Truman
Portnoy's Complaint

All kinds of stuff, really.

My education has also been a significant factor in how my political opinions have developed. As I worked on my political science major requirements I came to understand the philosophy and metaphysics of government as lending themselves to a progressive point of view.

I think that people who call themselves conservatives today (they're more like authoritarian right wing reactionaries, but that's a different story for a different day) simply don't understand government. The government exists so that we, as citizens in a free society, can come together and do things that we cannot do as individuals. The modern "conservative" rank and file generally see government as some sort nefarious agent making designs at screwing them and only useful to push their narrow, bigoted social agenda. The "conservative" office holders that purport to represent them see government as a way to pay back cronies and funnel public funds into the hands of private corporations. They call this being "pro-enterprise".

But I digress.

It used to be in politics that everyone in the American mainstream began implicitly at that premise (that government was for solving large problems) and argued about exactly what was necessary, what wasn't and what the best course of government action was that solved a problem that was agreed to exist and fell within the purview of government responsibility. Progressives, liberals, whatever you want to call us still begin with this fundamental belief.

The problem is that modern "conservatives" no longer see government that way. They see is as something that needs to be destroyed; that is, unless they want to restrict personal freedom, subsidize private industry or fight a war. Then they are very pro-government. I believe this fundamentally divergent view of government's purpose is the source of most of our political polarization today.

No wonder we can't get anything done.

BTW, it's really cool I have someplace I can write this and other people will see it.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:22 AM

Using internet as a source of information.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:35 AM

Felix, having followed the debate i think that what you stand for is correct. What bothers me is that these contracts that have been signed by the us last forever.
I know that those contracts of course originally was accepted by both parties but i have an assumption here that these contracts are to benefit the us and a very few portion of other people.
Say that the us signs a contract with Nigeria and that those with whom you signed the contract are criminals. The criminals are filling their own pockets with money. A few years goes by, people have had enough, have learned the truth. They kill the criminals. Then what?
Old 10-12-2007, 10:35 AM

Not sure really. I have reports and papers i did in 7th grade that i made during the 92 Election that were very pro-Clinton and Anti-Bush. I also remember rooting for Dukakis in 88 when i was just 7. I think it has a lot to do with my grandfather. My parents didn't really follow politics, but my grandfather was a junkie. He was of course very conservative. The last Democrat he voted for before he passed in 2000 was JFK. Me and him started talking politics at a very young age and i guess it just grew from there. I'm sure he wouldn't be happy I'm so liberal, but i think he would be pleased that I'm engaged and follow the process.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure really. I have reports and papers i did in 7th grade that i made during the 92 Election that were very pro-Clinton and Anti-Bush. I also remember rooting for Dukakis in 88 when i was just 7. I think it has a lot to do with my grandfather. My parents didn't really follow politics, but my grandfather was a junkie. He was of course very conservative. The last Democrat he voted for before he passed in 2000 was JFK. Me and him started talking politics at a very young age and i guess it just grew from there. I'm sure he wouldn't be happy I'm so liberal, but i think he would be pleased that I'm engaged and follow the process.

[/ QUOTE ]

why are you a liberal.