I'm a Democrat: Democrats pick up 4 10.26%
I'm a Democrat: Republicans hold 19 48.72%
I'm a Republican: Democrats pick up 1 2.56%
I'm a Republican: Republicans hold 10 25.64%
I don't care which party wins: Democrats pick up 1 2.56%
I don't care which party wins: Republicans hold 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Re: where does a-rod play next season?

[ QUOTE ]
this has probably already been covered but i don't care to look it up in the mountain of posts in teh a-rod threads.

what would be greater for his legacy? helping the yankees win ANOTHER title, or getting the cubs their first in literally 100 years?

[/ QUOTE ]

One is possible, the other a fantasy.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this has probably already been covered but i don't care to look it up in the mountain of posts in teh a-rod threads.

what would be greater for his legacy? helping the yankees win ANOTHER title, or getting the cubs their first in literally 100 years?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 10-11-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think using Bonds as your evidence for A-Rod is short sighted. Bonds plays the OF in the NL, he can't DH so he is forced to take off many more games than he would have if he played in the AL.

Arod also plays the infield, which will offer less wear and tear than playing the outfield at 40 years old, even though it won't matter since he can DH.

Obviously A-Rod can get hurt tomorrow banging a stripper, but anyone who thinks that A-Rod isn't going to get a insane deal beacause GM's are scared of him being hurt are just wrong.

But i'm not going to argue about in anymore because in a month will we know the answer. My guess is that he opts out (95% chance imo), and he eventually signs with the yankees for 8 yrs 35 million/yr.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. The Yankees aren't going to sign him for that kind of money if he opts out because they lose the Texas money. If he opts out, they should forget about negotiating with him altogether - their final offer should be made before he opts out.

Not only that, he's not getting $35 million a year. That is a Boras wet dream.

As for Muresan's point, the union almost killed him when he wanted to give back money to play for the Red Sox. He's not making that mistake again. The MLB union is very strong.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:17 PM

from a Joe Sheehan chat today, different subject, but appropriate:

[ QUOTE ]
Generally speaking, though, free agents tend to be compensated based on the most generous possible reading of their performance and potential. The market is set by optimists. Or idiots, you choose.

[/ QUOTE ]

if some rich team out there - out of the 6 or 7 - thinks signing Arod until he is 42 is a good deal, then Boras will find him. it just takes one idiot.

or maybe, it just takes someone starting up a new TV channel who suddenly has a lot more money + needs a draw.

if it weren't the history between the teams & the player, the Red Sox would really be a perfect fit.

rich team + needs a 3b + lots of money coming off the books this year + $20m of Manny money gone after next year

but, the Sox wouldn't sign him to a 10 year deal.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No way. The Yankees aren't going to sign him for that kind of money if he opts out because they lose the Texas money. If he opts out, they should forget about negotiating with him altogether - their final offer should be made before he opts out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

When the Yankees beat out the Red Sox for Johnny Damon, they reportedly made their offer and told Damon he had to take it right then and there or it was off the table. This prevented Damon from going back to the Red Sox and use the Yankees offer as a bargaining tool.

I think it's a great way to negoitiate and the Yankees should make him their best offer on an extension and let him walk if he refuses it.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cubs. I can barely remember who played for the 2nd WS champion team of the Torre era.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
from a Joe Sheehan chat today, different subject, but appropriate:

[ QUOTE ]
Generally speaking, though, free agents tend to be compensated based on the most generous possible reading of their performance and potential. The market is set by optimists. Or idiots, you choose.

[/ QUOTE ]

if some rich team out there - out of the 6 or 7 - thinks signing Arod until he is 42 is a good deal, then Boras will find him. it just takes one idiot.

or maybe, it just takes someone starting up a new TV channel who suddenly has a lot more money + needs a draw.

if it weren't the history between the teams & the player, the Red Sox would really be a perfect fit.

rich team + needs a 3b + lots of money coming off the books this year + $20m of Manny money gone after next year

but, the Sox wouldn't sign him to a 10 year deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is all on the presumption that A-rod DOES opt out. There is a strong possibility that he never gets that chance. I think there's also a fairly strong possibility that the offer from the Yankees pre-opt-out would be the highest.

Sheehan is right that it only takes ONE idiot, or two semi-retards, but I think DesertCat is right that an owner will not get swindled like Tom Hicks was.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is right that an owner will not get swindled like Tom Hicks was.

[/ QUOTE ]

he also makes the point - which I agree with - that the original deal wasn't that bad!

which was the better of the mega-deals signed that year?

$250m for Arod ($25m/year)
$160m for Manny ($20m/year)
$190m for Jeter ($19m/year)

?

I'm pretty sure that if you divide the total WARP / $, you'll see the Arod deal as the best. and it would have been way way better had he stuck at SS (basically, had he gone anywhere but the NYY)
the mistake was paying so much to get out from under it.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:48 PM

But Manny was WS MVP. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

which was the better of the mega-deals signed that year?

$250m for Arod ($25m/year)
$160m for Manny ($20m/year)
$190m for Jeter ($19m/year)

[/ QUOTE ]

What is better, ripping off your fingernails or jamming a sliver into your peehole? Two of the deals you mention had the teams trying desperately to get out by the time they were half done.

Sheehan's point about optimism is true, and it's caused by the point I made earlier, GMs are incented to focus on the short run because they aren't around for the long run. If their owner doesn't rein them in, any GM would be happy to sign superstars to ultra long term deals. It's also a method of deferred financing, the longer the contract the lower the per year salary. This means the GM has more money to spend now on other players to help keep his job. What happens after he leaves is the next guys problem.

But even though I acknowledge the strange incentives GMs have, no one can name one team where this will happen. The Angels/Sox/Yankees are too smart, they aren't letting the GM screw up their futures by giving out 10 year deals to fading superstars. The Cubs are stupid but they have handcuffs, they can't even make an offer without potentially blowing up their team sale. A-Rod's not taking offers from bad teams. Who is this "someone" who is so optimistic they'll give A-Rod a deal over 7 years and over $25M or so per year?