Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 07:18 AM

Default Re: What\'d You Shoot Today? (Golf BBV Thread)

Played 18 holes in 2:40 yesterday.

Shot an 82 on an easy par 70 with some pretty beat up greens.

Today I will play my first non-gambling round of golf (playing with sister-in-law's boyfriend), it will be interesting to see what I shoot.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:52 AM

3 hours. 18 hole championship course par 71. 6700 yards, 71 course rating, 117 slope. I shot an 80 (+9) and almost had my first eagle (two times).

I've never broke into the 70's.... ever. I'm gettin close though.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:27 AM

72 on a very easy course after shooting 33 on the front 9 so i was not very pleased at all
Old 05-09-2007, 04:19 PM

This post isn't about my round.

Yesterday I played in a hit-n-giggle, AKA a scramble (at Whirlwind on the Indian rez for those of you familiar with the course here in Phoenix). Anyway, afterwards they drew a raffle ticket, the "winner" got a shot from 160 yards for a million bucks.

Now I guess it's nice to have a freeroll and all, but I've knocked it in from 160+ about three times in the tens of thousands of shots I've hit from that distance. Seems pointless. Plus, most of the crowd went to watch the guy hit, so that burned like 15 minutes.

Also, we came in third and all won Nike carry bags which had a retail price tag on them of $110. This morning I gave it to a friend who has a crappy bag. Was this too unselfish? I didn't see the point in charging a friend for something I got for free, and all it was gonna do is take up space in my storage anyway.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:49 PM

tuq, good call on giving him the bag. I assume you didn't need any money and didn't need the bag.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:50 PM

I am in Santa Fe and played Black Mesa, which is/was in the top 40 of "Places You Can Play". Really great design, very different for someone like me from the east coast. Very difficult. 6700 from blue tees (7000 ft. elevation), slope 136 I believe. Shot 43-43. I am a 17 so that's a good round.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:14 PM

That's a situation where you can't go wrong either way. Giving him to him is obviously a nice and generous move. Charging him something (although probably way less than the value, like $50) would also be perfectly fair and reasonable.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, afterwards they drew a raffle ticket, the "winner" got a shot from 160 yards for a million bucks.

Now I guess it's nice to have a freeroll and all, but I've knocked it in from 160+ about three times in the tens of thousands of shots I've hit from that distance. Seems pointless. Plus, most of the crowd went to watch the guy hit, so that burned like 15 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only time I ever went out to see one of these was when one of my playing partners got the chance. They chose the person who was closest to the hole. Of course it was a 175 yard par 3 that he plays to like a 30+ and had hit driver on that he hit really thin and had line drived bounced a hundred times in the rough before the hole and then rolled onto the green to about 6 feet.

When it came time for the shot he had no balls left in his bag (I had to give him one) he also had sat on his glasses and couldn't see. They had to have an off duty cop drive up and video the shot. Half of the tournament was watching the shot. We could not stop laughing at how big of a waste of time it was.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, we came in third and all won Nike carry bags which had a retail price tag on them of $110. This morning I gave it to a friend who has a crappy bag. Was this too unselfish? I didn't see the point in charging a friend for something I got for free, and all it was gonna do is take up space in my storage anyway.

[/ QUOTE ] If your not going to use it, it's a nice gesture.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:08 PM

Played the North Course at Angus Glen yesterday - home of this year's Canadian Open.

I'm a 22 handicap - aim to break 100 at an easy course.

Shot a 93. 7 pars, 5 lost balls / penalties.

First time I've swung a club this year...

So I should stop playing - doubt I can improve on this one...
Old 05-10-2007, 01:21 PM

beat: I broke my back skiing in January (L2 compression)

Had the body cast off for 2 months, no brace for 1, and doing lots of PT, so I should be able to get out this weekend or next. I can't wait.