Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (9/10)

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's unfair how they attack Hellmuth and Safari's comment was distasteful

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious about how you feel about Hellmuth's antics just a few (few minutes on TV anyway) minutes earlier?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason I think Safari's joke was a little out of line is because I don't think that's the right type of joke to make about someone unless you're pretty good friends with him, which I don't think was the case here.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly
Old 09-11-2007, 03:41 PM

Mike Baxter is imo the best amateur on the show yet. I also like how he behaves at the table. He didnt say anything when Hellmuth started whining after the JT vs 27 hand.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:44 PM

a) good call by Baxter though table talk helped; I really thought he did that because he read Hellmuth's beat on river as weak (he had promised a small bet but bet big) instead of being a station. Pretty impressed that Hellmuth called his hand though.

b) interesting that Baxter checked TPGK behind on river against Matusow; must have picked up a read that wasn't true

c) really nice to see Hellmuth lose; though the flush hand wasn't that bad considering how short they were.

d) AQ hand by Matusow was played really bad if he really gave up on the turn.

e) AK read by Matusow against Q8o was unbelievably good.

f) Baxter's a likable fellow, even if quiet. Cannot yet say that a good player, but better than most of the amateurs postflop so far.

g) The donk who donked Q5o TPNK on flop and turn was pretty bad though.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some of this players have no idea of why they are making some of the plays. For example the AQ hand with Matusow.

He check-raises his opponent on AJ3r flop with AQ OOP and gets called. Then he makes a tiny bet on the turn and gets called again. After the hand he said he though he was beat on the turn. Why c/r the flop if he doesn't think he will get called down by a worse hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

The best one was that Q5 hand. LOL at Gabe's analysis ; "he has top pair so he's perfectly justified in betting" when he's donkbetting into the PFR on a totally dry flop.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
well what the fuzz

is a poker playe now forced to play?
if he wants to fold, let him fold...
he has to play sooner or later, as he is anteing and blinding... so why dont u let nitty players play their nitty style???

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's pretty freaking boring to watch?

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]

Phil Laak is good for the show. He was entertaining last year, and we cant expect a guy to play hands just b/c it's on t.v. for us to watch. He's sitting with six figures. He's getting paid something like $1500/hour I think? If I'm card dead in that game, a game where people like to look you up, i'm not going to risk a hundred grand for TV time or entertainment. Besides, it was the best episode ever, plenty of action and great hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-11-2007, 05:34 PM
 is offline

Play has been pretty awful throughout no doubt and I'll still much rather watch some of the truly best nl players than this BUT with that being said it HAS been really entertaining (credit to the producers) and like already pointed out Hellmuth is just an unreal character that I'm afraid I'll probably never get tired of watching, laughing at.

And I agree that Laak is annoying. The only player who really annoys me at the table.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:48 PM

]

That was out of line. Just because they're at the poker table, he doesn't get free license to say anything he wants. In any other setting he'd be asking for an ass-kicking.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought it was just a clever way of stating that Phil is in love with himself. Not at all offended.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:06 PM

kaplan: "phil laak loves it when other people gamble"

mike baxter was pretty cool
Old 09-11-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kaplan: "phil laak loves it when other people gamble"

mike baxter was pretty cool

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure Laak loves it when other people gamble because when he has a hand he'll get more out of it.

To me Laak is a bit irritating. But I think good things come from it. He instigates all the other banter like HV's stories.

I think it's total BS that people do talk a LOT more when PH is involved in a hand.