Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 02:49 AM

Default Re: New York City: Your favorite things to do or places to go

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lots of authentic Bulgarians

[/ QUOTE ]
This made me think of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer imports the Dominicans.

[/ QUOTE ]

But this is EVEN HOTTER
Old 02-27-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There also used to be a very fun club in Manhattan called the Bulgarian, somewhere around 6th Ave. & Canal if I remember right. Lots of authentic Bulgarians and crazy dancing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its official name is "Mehanata". Great place.

Another weird annual event that just happened is "Union square pillow fight". Bring your own pillows. I never went, but those who did say it's quite a lot of fun.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:24 PM

Best Fries in the City

POMMES FRITES!

www.pommesfrites.ws
123 2nd Ave
New York, NY 10003
Old 02-27-2007, 01:13 PM

1 - Wo-Hop: 15 Mott Street, 24hr. Westernized Chinese at its finest. Had roast duck, general tso's and scallion/ginger lo mein last night for 25 bucks, and it was amongst the best meals I've ever had.

2 - MO Bar - after picking up a tourist or 2 in Times Square, 1 drink here for a little stop-and-go, and, well, you get the picture. Creative drinks, great view. The Stone Rose next door in the Time Warner building is chill too.

3 - Cellar Bar - "Soft and sexy," great beats, international flavors...

4 - Caravan of Dreams - for healthy, remarkably tasty eats in the East Village, this is a great spot. Eclectic live music (folk) complements the hot yoga bods well.

5 - Bowery Ballroom - if its live, hot, and touring the country, it'll stop through here if it hasn't blown up yet. Head upstairs for the elevated view, chill at the bar, and nestle up in the closed curtain velvet couches at both corners of the upstairs. Good luck on getting a seat up there at the few tables tho...

7 - Rubin Museum of Art - dedicated to the art, culture, and history of deep mysticism from the region of the Himalayas.

8 - Chapel of Sacred Mirrors - the museum like brain-child of Alex Grey. Fun on mushrooms or not.

A hell of a day if you can run 'em all.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:13 PM

I recommend a membership to MoMA to everyone interested that sort of thing. The exhibits are worth it alone but to also get free admission to their film exhibitions paid for itself inside of like a month for me. You're not going to find standard cineplex fare here. And hey, tax deductable.

Also Arthur's Tavern around 7th and W 4th in the Village is a pretty chill dive jazz bar to hang out at after you've done most of your drinking on the weekends. Live music until like 4am or so. Good stuff.

Also Bowery Ballroom pretty much rules if you're seeing a decent show. Saw Clap Your Hands Say Yeah there last month.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also Bowery Ballroom pretty much rules if you're seeing a decent show. Saw Clap Your Hands Say Yeah there last month.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope so...I'm seeing Bright Eyes there Friday night.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:20 PM

I'm going to put some NYC simple pleasures that I love.

Central Park in the summer for a walk with a joint or 2, I know not all you smoke but I srsly have spent just hours walking. Central park is MASSIVE. There's a lake, a zoo, a garden, a castle a carousel... I've only tipped the iceberg.You obv. don't need teh weed for this.

Being a bronx boy I will give you 2 things to do there.

Hunts Point - market in the way way early AM.let alone the good cheap fruit you can get but the spectical of it all is fun to to watch too.

Arthur Avenue - Ok so Little Italy is POS tourist trap next to this place. Its really one the last Italian sections in the Bronx [Belmont] (the other being morris park where I live) the food is unreal the area is nice too (think of "A Bronx tale") On the weekend the shops are always full of fresh baked breads and pasta's. Espresso drinking on the streets in little cafe's etc.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Best Fries in the City

POMMES FRITES!

www.pommesfrites.ws
123 2nd Ave
New York, NY 10003

[/ QUOTE ]

Pommes Frites are middle of the road IMO. B. Frites, formerly in midtown and now closed was substantially better. Les Halles, however, is the gold standard. Perfect size and when they are good the center is slightly steamed and fluffy like cotton. In 3-5 minutes they go from hot and ethereal to very good, and the difference is stark.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:41 PM

One place I like to go is the cart on 53rd and 6th. If anybody likes street meat, he is the best in the city. The line can get long, but its well worth the wait. For $5 you can't really go wrong. Only catch is that he isn't around until after 7PM most nights.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/xEnNFXtMLDF5kZDxfaCJgA
Old 03-06-2007, 08:28 PM

NY Magazine released their "Best of NY 2007" a few days. Some good suggestions in there ....

http://nymag.com/bestofny/