Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Womens event #17 - Spoiler (text in white)

Every Bluff bustout interview has been terrible, Lacey Jones was a slight improvement when she does them.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Womens event #17 - Spoiler (text in white)

Sally Boyer wins, K2>K10. Great announcing at the end, flop went 543x2 at the end, Howard David completely forgets that the 2 can win the hand, then realizes it's all over.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Womens event #17

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They only reinforce the gender conflicts and stereotypes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They also serve to allow poker to manufacture a female champion at which point they will quickly gloss over the way in which they did this, deceiving through omission if not outright lying.

Women are at no biological disadvantage at poker. We are so used to segregating things for women that we simply assume that this anachronistic "separate but equal" thing that didn't work in the South in the 60s is somehow appropriate today.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:38 AM

I think some here are missing the point here. While the bracelet is nice, it wouldn't be so bad if they got rid of that aspect of it, and just ran it as a satalite for women or something. Many women, especially ones who've never played, feel more comfortable playing with just other women, as men can be so very much (more) critical when someone as a beginner is sitting down at the table for the first time.

I don't know what it is, but it seemed to me when I was first starting to play (live) that Men have more selective memory than women do, when it comes to remembering what it was like when they were first learning the game.

They tend to react (more) with anger (and seem to resort more to name calling (IE: Calling someone stupid and so on) than a fellow woman does, when the beginner plays a bad hand and gets lucky and sucks out on them (the man).

If it brings one more woman into the game it might not otherwise have (and thus more potential fish until she learns the ropes), I'm all for it.

This especially since right now women in general only represent less than 5 percent of the players.

If we want more fish into the game, which means new players, logic says that the gender to target for that, is women.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:31 AM

I disagreed with you on this one. I posted the following (with a bit of editing) recently on another thread that got onto the same topic:

Whenever I see a Ladies Only event I think, so much for the fight for equality. Let's just stand up and say "Ok boys we're just not good enough to play with you so we need our own special tournament."

I was told by someone at the BC Lottery Corp that the first women's tournament in BC was held to encourage more women to enter tournaments. I told her at the time that I thought it was a big mistake although I did play in it. Poker is a level playing field and there is no need to have women only events. I was told that many women are intimidated by male players so are afraid to play in regular tournaments. My response - Get Over It!!! Put up your money and take your chances like everyone else. I was terrified the first time I entered a tournament but I certainly wasn't going to wait until a tournament came up where I only had to play against girls. That's not poker! The only way to overcome the fear is to get in there and mix it up, just like the men do.

What value does the tournament have if it isn't open to everyone? The answer is not much. Of course the pay cheque is nice but it still seems like a cop out. Can you imagine the women's reaction if there were tournaments only for men?
Old 06-13-2007, 01:04 PM

In my book, Chess Bitch: Women in the Ultimate Intellectual Sport, I write a chapter about the controversy over separate women's tournaments. Quite frankly, I don't see the same controversy in poker. One of the key skills in poker is to seek out weak players.

A $1000 ladies buy-in is clearly going to have a lot more dead money than a mixed one. Ask curtains if he agrees based on the hands I told him about. I feel bad for you men that you can't play!

Seriously though, by the time I got to the final two tables, it was clear that the play was getting a lot stronger. When I was on the money bubble, everyone at the table was constantly haranguing me for pushing and raising in position, like I was some sort of idiot poker maniac. For instance, I made a brainlessly obvious all in in the SB with J5o against a shorter stack and won a showdown against A3o. The reaction was like: wow, i can't believe this idiot made it so far.

The negative reaction was sort of effective though, because it drew everyone's attention to my raising, even those who are usually oblivious. One woman even said to me, when I raised in the SB with 37o that I would regret that hand for the rest of my life if it had sent me home. I had to tighten up and I started showing my good hands. What else could I have done? Poker bitches.

Btw, I'm glad that Sally Anne Boyer won, because I moved all in with QJs against her two off the button with about 8xBB and she called me with AA. I caught a flush and she was extremely cool about it, even laughed a bit. I'd left her with about 1.5x BB and somehow she came back from the dead!
Old 06-13-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I made a brainlessly obvious all in in the SB with J5o against a shorter stack and won a showdown against A3o. The reaction was like: wow, i can't believe this idiot made it so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!! well said
Old 06-13-2007, 01:50 PM

There needs to be a level playing field or there is no respect. This tourney will continue, but it is a farce.

There is no basis to think that womens only events expand the player base as women are not entering other tourneys in greater rates. The participation rate is flat, at best.

http://www.iprdata.com/ipr/statistics.html (womens data is about halfway down the page)
Old 06-13-2007, 02:04 PM

Fletch, I understand what you are saying, and in this case, you have a strong point as well (against) the other point that ladies tournaments seem to be needed.

That is, in most cases ladies events are far cheaper to enter, than most mixed events.

Many ladies are single custodial parents, many with no support from the Fathers of the kids (and I know what I'm talking about, though my son is a grown man now, I was one such woman) and as such, I think price becomes a factor here. (Before any guy says anything, I know that this also happens sometimes to guys, where they have custody and get no support from the Mother (I have a guy friend in that situation now), but most times it's the other way around)

In this case though, the cheapest mixed event is only 500 bucks more than the ladies, but still that 500 bucks seems to make a big difference when a woman plays in an event, than when a guy does.

In other words, in a world where women are many times still paid LESS for doing the same job as a man, the money issue raises it's ugly head here.

There are a lot less women than men, that can afford to shell out $1,500, let alone for the main event price of 10 grand.

Just something to think about.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:14 PM

I thought it was interesting when each player busted out, interviewer asked if they'd be back to the WSOP, and they all said they hoped so. When asked if they would play WSOP Europe, they all just looked at her and said "no, I don't think so."

Also, it appears at least one FT player lost her job while playing, and another seemed to be in deep doo doo and wasn't very hopeful of getting more time off for future poker tournaments. It appears some of these women entered kinda just for fun and never anticipated making it into Day 2 and beyond.

-Z