Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Attributing Sports Wins to God

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and stop hating on op, he has a point

[/ QUOTE ]

No, its a retarded argument that everyone has had when they were twelve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the God thing has been done but the 'we're not only black but also Christian' is new.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Makes you a dbag

Also, the Colts coach saying [about both coaches], 'We're not only black, we're also Christian' is amazingly dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

what a sucky life u must lead to hate christians this much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe its sarcasm. Maybe.

But if I was at work and said, I'd like to thank God for giving me the strenth to complete this months performance scorecard, it would sound just as lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, see the difference is, you have a lame job, that no probably requires no more brains than flipping a burger, thats why it would sound lame. There is a difference in saying, I just won a national sports championship, and got a trophy in one of the most anticipated sporting events in the US, and I remembered to put some pickles on a big mac.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Makes you a dbag

Also, the Colts coach saying [about both coaches], 'We're not only black, we're also Christian' is amazingly dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But if I was at work and said, I'd like to thank God for giving me the strenth to complete this months performance scorecard, it would sound just as lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, see the difference is, you have a lame job, that no probably requires no more brains than flipping a burger, thats why it would sound lame. There is a difference in saying, I just won a national sports championship, and got a trophy in one of the most anticipated sporting events in the US, and I remembered to put some pickles on a big mac.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's that Christian spirit shining through...disparaging people who have menial jobs and make small amounts of money. Aren't there a ton of Christians that have menial jobs (and do you have any reason to think this poster has a menial job anyway?)??? And didn't Jesus say something about treating the least of these as you would treat him? Doesn't that pretty much mean that you shouldn't say it's okay for Dungy but not for the burger-flipper? Would Dungy act all superior to the single mom who cleans toilets for a living?

FWIW, I have no problem with a guy expressing his faith (even faith I don't share). What I have a problem with is that this immediately makes him a "better" person...whereas if someone gave credence to his faith in something less popular, it'd just make him a weirdo. And please, nobody pretend that the difference is anything but a popularity contest. It really ISN'T that Christianity has been more "proven" than other religions, or atheism for that matter. It's just that it's more popular here. Thanking Jesus for winning the SAFL (Saudi Arabian Football League) would be despised...and as superior as we'd like to feel over those countries, standing up and thanking Allah or Buddha or Joseph Smith or whoever the hell is in charge of Scientology would be very poorly received here in the US, as well.

So I don't blame Dungy, but I do wish we were all a lot more open minded and tolerant of varying ideas that contradict our own.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Makes you a dbag

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let that spirit shine!
Old 02-05-2007, 05:08 PM

I opened this thread just to confirm that it was going to devolve into some impossibly sucky religious debate.

It didn't disappoint.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I opened this thread just to confirm that it was going to devolve into some impossibly sucky religious debate.

It didn't disappoint.

[/ QUOTE ]

How could it "devolve" when the point of the OP was to start a sucky religious debate? Srsly, what did you think it would be before devolving?
Old 02-05-2007, 05:15 PM

DD,

The OP was pretty bad but it clearly got worse. That's why I'm really happy for forums like Politics and SMP that mostly keep these types of threads penned up.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
can't wait for the first Muslim coach to win the SB so he can thank Allah for the glorious victory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, you do know that "Allah" is the exact same "God" Dungy just thanked, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I don't watch football, ever, but I watched the super bowl. It seemed like the entire crowd started booing every time that Muhammad guy's name was mentioned. Now, was this some sort of chant based on his first name (of which I'm unaware), did he do something messed up at some point, or should I feel a little sicker to be an American right now?

I think there was a reason for everything that Dungy said, and I doubt it was straight off the cuff. I don't agree with it as a tactic, since I think the excess gravitas lent to the blackness and Jesusness of the coaches set us back about 10 years in terms of race relations, and another 50 ahead on our road to Inquisition #2: electric boogaloo.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:00 PM

At least now I know why Manning is so much better than Brady yet has less rings. It has nothing to do with clutchness, or better defense, or the will to win.

It's because God loves Brady more.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
can't wait for the first Muslim coach to win the SB so he can thank Allah for the glorious victory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, you do know that "Allah" is the exact same "God" Dungy just thanked, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I don't watch football, ever, but I watched the super bowl. It seemed like the entire crowd started booing every time that Muhammad guy's name was mentioned. Now, was this some sort of chant based on his first name (of which I'm unaware), did he do something messed up at some point, or should I feel a little sicker to be an American right now?

I think there was a reason for everything that Dungy said, and I doubt it was straight off the cuff. I don't agree with it as a tactic, since I think the excess gravitas lent to the blackness and Jesusness of the coaches set us back about 10 years in terms of race relations, and another 50 ahead on our road to Inquisition #2: electric boogaloo.

[/ QUOTE ]

manning: they aren't saying boo they're saying "mooooooooooooshin mooooooooooooooooooohammad"