Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 12:39 AM

Default Re: *300* Movie Review *No Spoilers*

I am not understanding a lot of the hate on here either specifically b/c my fellow 2p2'ers are usually the most well read and the least judging when it comes to these kind of stories etc.

I can't remember if it was a review, in this thread or on another thread on this site that said the whole idea that the Spartans seemed to have these superpowers and simply dominate every other warrior it faced is illogical blah blah blah. Everything I have read talked about how the Battle of Thermoplyae was forever used as an example for tactic and superior weaponry.

Those who complain about the dialogue, if you look any of this stuff up you will notice that much of the lines were actually said. If you go to wikipedia you will see that Leonidas' words have been repeated over and over by generals etc. and are a huge part of the Greek Army today.

Some are mad about the ending, that's weird its like being pissed that the Titanic sunk. The only thing is that obviously he wasn't the last one to die but its a movie.

Some are talking about the homoeroticism of the characters b/c of the waxed bodies and the abs. Hmmm, its not gay to not want to stare at overweight and hairy men for two hours. It is also not gay being ok with warriors looking like they can kick anyone's ass. This line of thinking is [censored] stupid.

Some of the criticisms are perfectly fine such as the slow mo's during each fight scene, this can detract and I can see why people wouldn't like this. The repetitiveness of the killings, it did seem like it was either a slice to the torso, a leg sliced off or a decapitation...over and over. To me these are logical problems b/c it has to do with the movie and not the story, a story that can't be changed b/c it is true.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:49 AM

You can't change the meat of the story, but at least you could have moderately deep characters/dialogue as well as not seeing the same battle half a dozen times.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:59 AM

You do realize this is a direct adaptation of a comic book?

(You being everyone who hates the plot or this or that)
Old 03-12-2007, 01:19 AM

There were some laughable parts, but it was fun as a whole. It was nice to see a Western film this good at pure action. The plot was lighter than light and overall the movie exists for the fight scenes almost exclusively. But that's okay, cuz they're fun. I kinda did miss the 700-ish Thespians who were there to help in real life, but oh well, it's only a movie.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:42 AM

Based on the reviews, all of my suspicions for the badassery of this movie have been confirmed and I'm even more excited to see some psycho-greek-[censored] do what they do best, be psycho-greek-[censored].

All the historical haters,

shut it. I'm a classics major and I don't give a rats ass how historical this movie is; it's an exercise in film badassery. And pretty much every "historical" movie has inaccuracies, and everyone should realize this. Then we wouldn't have all this stupid "well this is how things actually happened" ITS A MOVIE MADE FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES
Old 03-12-2007, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the whole thing with the hunchback was retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

The may you live forever line at the end was one of the sicker lines in the movie. I thought it was really good, it obv could have been made ridic; however, it was def nowhere near as bad in failing to live up to potential as xmen3. Def overall enjoyable imo and def had some good battles and some sweet lines.

And ps I dont get what is going on w/ zoolander being an insult or something but that movie completely kicked ass.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:52 AM

I think we have a legitimate "love it or hate it" film.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:07 AM

for the record, i didn't "hate it" i just thought it was a big letdown of what could have been a legitimate kick-ass spartan movie. could have used better plot devices, better structuring, more "awesome" fighting moments, more dramatic full scale battles, more magical creatures and ensuing carnage, more flow, less bad speeches, less bad music, less slowmo, much less of the dumb political crap with the queen and whatnot (even though sweet she killed that feylord, still dumb).

there should have been about 50 more beheadings instead of spears going through a chest and hokey digital blood effect.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:55 AM

snagglepuss, you're being pretty obtuse here. first you say "edited down into 25 minutes it could probably be a 7.5/10.", then you say it could have used
"more 'awesome' fighting moments, more dramatic full scale battles, more magical creatures and ensuing carnage"
That [censored] doesn't jiveeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:06 AM

yeah. the existing film i think can be edited down in 25 minutes of action and interesting footage with what i watched on screen tonight.

as per the actual film, it could have used those things i listed to make it a better movie, in my opinion.

that jives pretty well to me.