Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Favorite Uncomfortable Sports Broadcasting Moments

This was a 4th grade level insult, calling someone a girl's name. You really think Everett was justified in attacking Rome? WTF. I'm not a huge fan of Rome, but Everett is a worthless meathead douchebag.

For Everett, this is pretty simple. He's being called a coward, he gives the guy ample warning that that's not okay, and then he moves to scare the crap out of Rome.

It's not like he went in punching. He's clearly just gonna grab him and shake him up. It's not a joke, but it's not uncontrolled either.

I don't like what Everett did. I think it shows some real anger issues, and I don't endorse violence in response to taunts. But my opinion, as a guy with a huge mouth on me? I think Rome caused this and really can't blame anyone but himself, cause Everett's intentions and seriousness are written all over his face.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:35 PM

If I had gone on and on about this as much as Rome did with practically ANY athlete, after being warned that this was NOT cool, I would fully expect to either get my ass kicked or for the athelete to walk out.

I'm not a huge Everett fan, but Rome pretty much brought this on himself and many athletes would not have reacted much better.

The athlete agrees to come all the way down to the studio and give of his time to do the interview.
Yeah, it helps out with his own publicity and it's an ego boost to get to be on TV. Maybe there's even some compensation. But mostly he's the one doing the network a favor. Not the other way around.

The athlete has every right to believe he is deserving of some amount of respect.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:07 PM

Just as a general note, it's always awesome when the guys in the booth are talking about some player on the bench (say, a pitcher who threw a shutout the night before), and going on and on about how much of an asset that player is to his team, then they cut to him on the bench and he's digging a giant booger out of his nose.

The guys are like "...he's just...you know...he's been a great pickup for San Diego." "Yeah................2-and-2 on Johnson here in the 5th"

I still remember that this happened to Rick Sutcliffe in the 80's on the Cubs, the camera cut to him and he was burried almost two knuckles deep with his index finger.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jim Rome interviewing Jim Everett

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is awesome anyway, but I don't get the feud. The argument has to be about more than the wrong name right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris Everett ......................................... Jim Everett

How do you expect a football player to react when someone is calling him a pussy?

[/ QUOTE ]

This never made sense to me. Chris Evert was one of the best athletes of the last 50 years...she's certainly in the top 5 of female athletes. No one was tougher or had a stronger will to win.

It just shows how juvenile and douche like Jim Rome is.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:31 PM

Yeah but she's a girl.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:32 PM

The thing with Rome is, usually when I see him he is ripping anybody and everybody for being total wimps when he is just talking about them....but whenever he's interviewing somebody he's almost always sucking up to them like he has no cajones at all.

It's possible to be respectful without practically blowing them on the air.
I don't watch/listen to much of Rome though. But my main problem with his interviews is that he's usually WAY too much of a suck-up about how great/awesome his interviewee is.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well, that Thom Brennaman and Steve Lyone stuff this past October where they are unknowingly making fun of a blind guy has to be way up there too.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that was incredibly uncomfortable
Old 08-12-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing with Rome is, usually when I see him he is ripping anybody and everybody for being total wimps when he is just talking about them....but whenever he's interviewing somebody he's almost always sucking up to them like he has no cajones at all.

It's possible to be respectful without practically blowing them on the air.
I don't watch/listen to much of Rome though. But my main problem with his interviews is that he's usually WAY too much of a suck-up about how great/awesome his interviewee is.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so accurate that it's scary.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:44 PM

Anytime Jim Nantz uses the word "penal".
Old 08-12-2007, 04:17 PM

Another Thom Brennaman boner, ruining Ian Johnson's proposal after the BSU-OU Fiesta Bowl last year. Maybe not as cringe worthy as some of the other, but pretty stupid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaIOWZJqr10