Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2006, 02:55 PM

Default Re: The Well: cts

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. How many 5 year olds?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty confident in my ability to beat up 5 year olds so I think I could take quite a few. Maybe 25?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a former william and mary alum so...

What are you studying at William and Mary and do you have a favorite prof?

How often do you hit Paul's Deli?

I studied Physics, Math and Music there primarily. I'm up at University of Maryland now. (just graduated UMD actually)

I'm down there every new years so if you ever want to meet up and have a beer let me know.

Greg
Old 08-07-2006, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. A loose-ish player opens from the button, and you re-raise from the BB with 76s. Flop comes Q73r. You lead for ~pot and get called. Turn a brick, like a 2. Fire again? Check/call? I do understand it's tough to answer without real reads and situational rhythm, but I'm curious about how you play re-raised pots OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check/fold usually. Push sometimes. Never check/call probably. I wouldn't have full-potted the flop in the first place though, so there's your first mistake. Like I was saying lots of players have a "win every reraised pot mentality." If you try to run a squeeze play or reraise light with 76s and are called, there is no shame in just check/fold-ing the flop occasionally, particularly if your opponent is somewhat tight/tricky/the flop probably hit him hard.

[ QUOTE ]
2. You're on the button with effective stacks 200BBs. "Average" player raises 4x, you re-raise with 76s. First, how much are you re-raising? Second, the flop comes Q73r, Villain checks, you bet ~pot, Villain calls. Turn a 2. Villain checks, you...?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd reraise to 15xBB or so. I would not full pot the flop. I would usually give up on the turn, but if I think the guy can fold AQ maybe I'd bet and then shove the river. Plans that rely on your opponent folding top pair usually don't work out so well [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] and the only other weak-ish hand he can be calling you with on that flop is like 88.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what was your GPA/SAT score in hs?

[/ QUOTE ]
My GPA was pretty good, but not great, especially at the tough public high school I went to. I got an 800 on the SAT math and a 700 on the SAT verbal.

[ QUOTE ]
what are your general thoughts on the school? what made you decide to go there over some of the other colleges here? do you think its hard-ish to get into?

[/ QUOTE ]
College is a lot of fun, I'd definitely recommend William and Mary. The academics are great and the classes are very small, I've gotten to know most of my professors and they are always available out of class. They are always looking for students to do research with them so those opportunities are not difficult to come by. The delis (our bars) and parties are fun and there are beaches (Jamestown/VA Beach) close by too. It's a selective school, but by no means impossible to get into.

[ QUOTE ]
and uhh, since i like to add one question about poker in, what do you think about checking behind a blank turn with TPTK/overpair for pot control? should you always be value betting here?

[/ QUOTE ]
yvesaint stressed value betting a lot in his well. He was right on, and this is so key especially in SSNL. I'll almost always value bet here, but sometimes I'll check behind to set up a value bet on the river if I think the guy will fold to my turn bet but call a river bet.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you datamine? If so, do you mine the level you play at currently, the next higher level for when you move up, or one level lower so you have initial data on players moving up to your current level?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes I do datamine, I play mostly 5/10 and 10/20 but I datamine 3/6-25/50.

[ QUOTE ]
What do I need to do in order to play multitable more effectively?

[/ QUOTE ]
My advice would be to start adding one table at a time until it's not any harder to develop reads than it is single tabling. The "bet pot" script (check overcards.com or the software forum) also helps speed things up immensely. Get rid of GT+ and buy PokerAce, you won't regret it.

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, have you adjusted any of the PT auto-rate rules? As an example, I have two catagories of WT where the original (and Andy McNish's upgraded rules) has only one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Eh I think these rules are kind of stupid, I don't use them. But if it works for you by all means use them.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1)If you had a choice : a)give up poker forever and live normal live b)become poker pro but abandon college/univ forever would you take b) ?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I'd choose a), getting my college degree is pretty important to me.

[ QUOTE ]
2)Strategic one : What do you think is the most important thing your opponent do and you dont (or other way around) which make you a winner against them ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Bad things my opponents do:
*Bluff too much.
*Call too much.
*Play too loose from UTG/MP.
*Play poorly in reraised pots.

Things that my opponents should do but don't:
*Play more pots against me in position.
*Reraise me from the blinds when I open from the button rather than calling -- loosen up for an hour of play and then check your PT stats for the session. Keep repeating this until you get to 30/20 or so. Then play a session and every time you raise from the button, ask yourself "what am I going to do if I'm reraised." You'll start reraising 30/20 BTN openers a lot more when you see the trash they are opening with [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
*Play tighter in the blinds.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you do it? Do you just resize tables and fit them all all on 1/2 screens?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have two Dell 2100FPs. I put 9 tables resized on my left monitor and the others on my right monitor. With the leftover space on my right monitor I have Sixth Sense and the Party lobby and am constantly looking for good games. If your memory isn't good enough to remember the preflop action you are playing wayyyy too many tables. Occasionally I miss something like this, but certainly not often. Use the bet pot script to size your bets, this helps speed things up too.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have so called "Learn new Skill" days. I read alot about one subject, and then try to apply it playing 1-2 tables. Do you have any suggestions for new Skills to learn (like extensive note taking, hand-reading, pf starting req, etc)?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hm, maybe read through the Pooh-Bah posts and try to apply some of those concepts to your game? A few weeks ago I tried raising every single hand from the button if it was limped or folded to me, I guess this is kinda of what you are talking about?

Basically I think that you develop a lot more from experience and analyzing tough hands rather than adding a new skill for each session. A skill like "double barreling" takes a long time to master and isn't something you will get right your first session or two. Sounds like you're definitely on the right track though and are determined to improve your game, good luck.

[ QUOTE ]
About SixthSense, do you use User made rating rules, or the build in Fish rating?

[/ QUOTE ]
Custom rules, I just responded to another post with them.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a W&M alum -- how are things in the Burg? Are you living in the dorms, or do you have an apartment off-campus? What made you choose W&M? And what attracted you to poker?

[/ QUOTE ]
Williamsburg is great, I'm living off-campus in a house with five friends. W&M was a great deal, has good academics and a nice campus, and I was accepted [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] so those are reasons why I chose it. I guess PartyPoker commercials and stories of people making money attracted me to poker.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your personal reads rather than HUD reads obv help you a lot. How are you able to do this w/ so much action going on?

[/ QUOTE ]
At the higher limits you play with the same players so often that you don't need an HUD against them, what is important is to review all of their big hands and how they played them while you are away from the tables. I repeat my same hand review process with the hands my tough opponents play.

[ QUOTE ]
is Sixth sense any better than PTS?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have both, and the answer is yes. Sixth Sense is much faster, smoother, and has better support.

[ QUOTE ]
THANK YOU for starting the thread that led to _dave_'s betpot AHK script.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea I'm really not sure how I even played with this before, it's such a great tool. THANKS DAVE!

[ QUOTE ]
Go Wizards btw, think you ever play with Gilbert at 25/50?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm a huge Wizards fan! I remember a thread in NVG where people were speculating what Gilbert's SN was, but no one nailed it down.

I played some 25/50 against the screen name "Andres Nocioni" who insisted he was the Bulls player, but later I found out it was cardsharkk who had shipped $10k to UB to play 300/600 LHE heads up [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2006, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CTS can you give full rundown of your PAHUD setup.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post6732088

[ QUOTE ]
Also if I join a table with a 80/35/3 agro maniac but he is two to my left with a decent TAG between us. Have I table selected well or poorly?

[/ QUOTE ]
Any time you are playing with an 80/35/3 you are table selecting well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Your seat selection isn't great though, you'd prefer that this guy is on your right, but at least he's not directly to your left. I wouldn't leave the table unless it looked like I could quickly get a better seat.