Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Play us an old song for the first time

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Glad to see some love for Kathy's Song. It is pretty much never talked about whenever S&G or Simon are mentioned. "I know that I am like the rain/There but for the grace of you go I." is one of my favorite couple of lines in music.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whole song is so good:

And a song I was writing is left undone
I don't know why I spend my time
Writing songs I can't believe
With words that tear and strain to rhyme.

Eva Cassidy, who is just beautiful overall, apparently does a version of this; haven't heard it, but it must be amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have much love for Eva Cassidy and four albums of her music. However, I have never heard her do Kathy's Song.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.amazon.com/Time-After-Eva.../dp/B00004SYOP

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw on that link that she also covers Cindy Lauper's "Time After Time". That was a No. 1 hit and a great love song that was often ignored because of Lauper's punk image.

Link
Old 10-10-2007, 12:11 AM

A couple from Youtube

Ralph McTell

John Prine and Nanci Griffith
Old 10-10-2007, 02:41 AM

Ammonia Avenue by the venerable Alan Parsons Project
Old 10-10-2007, 01:34 PM

here's one from a Chicago area band called The Drovers, who play a brand of rock that's mixed with traditional Irish music:

Insulated Man

I wish I could find a link for it...it's a truly great song. It's used at the ending of the movie [/b]Blink[/b], where Madelaine Stowe plays a band member who sings and plays violin with The Drovers! That's how I found them.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:09 PM

Dominic,

When Fortune Turns Her Wheel(?title) by the Drovers in that movie is awesome. I bought the soundtrack for that one song.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dominic,

When Fortune Turns Her Wheel(?title) by the Drovers in that movie is awesome. I bought the soundtrack for that one song.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! I bought that album for Insulated Man! It also got me into the Drovers and I now have a few of their albums. I also got to see them back in '99 at a bar in Chicago!
Old 10-10-2007, 02:15 PM

They also have a song in Backdraft called "In The Unpromised Land" (bar scene) that is incredible. They did not record the song (I emailed them to find out) and you only get a piece of it in the movie....suck.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:59 PM

I think this story actually strikes at the heart of the original post:

As some of you know I'm a forty-ish guy and I have been a Prince fan for many years. However, I must confess to less familiarity with his early material (let's say before "1999"). Anyway, sometime around 2001 or so I'm in the car with my wife and we're listening to some R&B station. On comes a song; I'm certain I've never heard it before and I'm equally certain it's Prince so I figure it must be new. I say to my wife something like "wow, Prince must have some new material out. He's really captured that retro 70s feel but it's still totally fresh." Of course she looks at me like I'm a complete idiot because the song is his 1979 hit "I Wanna Be Your Lover".

For me the ultimate "fresh ears" group is The Beatles. I never liked them growing up but somewhere along the way in my adulthood I started to really listen to the songs and realized how great they were.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

For me the ultimate "fresh ears" group is The Beatles. I never liked them growing up but somewhere along the way in my adulthood I started to really listen to the songs and realized how great they were.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was hard to hear, let alone appreciate, the Beatles at the beginning. The average person's exposure to them was TV appearances where nothing could be heard above the deafeningly shrill white noise of hundreds if not thousands of screeching, adolescent, semi-orgasmic females. I paid no attention to the Beatles until Sgt. Pepper was released to serious critical acclaim.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:58 PM

I'm only barely resisting the urge to post Jeff Buckley's "Lover, You Should've Come Over," simply because I think everyone on here has heard it.
My favorite version of it...

But...I think I'll say this instead:

Magic Power - Triumph